Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2016, 05:47 AM   #1

How to achieve decent camber?

I'm new to these cars so wondering.
Should I go with:
1. camber plates in the front and adjustable control arms in the rear?
2. camber plates only front and rear (is this possible?).
3. camber plates front, and adjustable control arms both ends?

the goal is to be able to set the car up properly for track driving and achieve even tire wear and temps.

2011 Mistubishi i-MiEV
Norway
Bebbetufs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 06:03 AM   #2

The pss9s you just bought include front camber plates. If you are allowed to use them for what ever class racing you are doing, they should allow extra adjustment up front.
The rear has considerable camber adjustment available but with lowering the rear toes out beyond what is adjustable. You will need aftermarket adjustable rear toe rods at the least.
johnsjmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 06:23 AM   #3

This page here has your camber plates, and there is a link with installation and usage instructions at the bottom on how to use them:

Front Camber Plate Set, 996/997/986

It has two different positions - stock, and additional camber. Most likely they are setup for additional camber, and the instructions show how to check.

Steve
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 06:41 AM   #4

Great info. Thank you.

So no need for the hyper expencive gt3 LCAs then. Should I get two pair of monoballs for front and rear?

Are the rear links too long or too short for proper alignment?
2011 Mistubishi i-MiEV
Norway
Old 05-04-2016, 08:19 AM   #5
Racer Boy

The rear toe links are too short.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:43 AM   #6

Thanks for confirming my suspsions.
2011 Mistubishi i-MiEV
Norway
Old 05-08-2016, 03:17 AM   #7
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
Depending on how much camber you need you can just still the front top mount turrets. I am able to run easily a little over 2 degrees negative camber front and rear. I have adjustable toe links on rear to stop the rear having even more camber than it does.
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 12:48 PM   #8

What tires do you run with those settings?
2011 Mistubishi i-MiEV
Norway
Old 05-08-2016, 04:11 PM   #9
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebbetufs View Post
So no need for the hyper expencive gt3 LCAs then.
Camber plates have a limit to how much add'l camber they provide. Please don't drill holes in the shock tower to add more adjustablilty. The next owner of your car will thank you for not tearing it up.

So, it really depends on how much add'l camber you need - which depends on how good of a driver you are, which tires you use, and how the car is set up.

If you're new to track driving, then camber plates will probably be fine. But if you have performance driving experience or want to run R-comp tires, then you will likely max out the camber plates fairly quickly and will need the 996 GT-3 adjustable lower control arms (or aftermarket equivalent).

Quote:
Are the rear links too long or too short for proper alignment?
The stock rear toe arms are too short to allow for proper rear toe alignment when the car is lowered.

Tarett 986 Adjustable Rear Control Arms
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 05-08-2016 at 04:14 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 11:21 PM   #10

The only thing maxed out right now is my wallet

I'm not new to track driving, but I consider myself a beginner none the less. I'm aiming to use to street legal "slicks" such as advan ad048 or Toyo 888s.

The track I will be visiting the most has a really high speed trail braking corner . The corner is down a steep hill, down the hill at Spa type steep, into a high long corner which tightens to 90 degre turn back up the hill. This corner is very off-camber and places a lot of load on the car. My Clio 197, on lowering springs and with 17"Advan AD08s needed -2 camber front and rear for tyre wear to be even across the width of the tyres. I'm thinking the Boxster is similar in weight and power but I don't know how the lower CG and wider 17" tyres will load the tyres down there.

Since I'm broke right now anyway, I am going to run with the camber plates only before I make up my mind. I had initially planned to do an all out build, but plans change...
2011 Mistubishi i-MiEV
Norway

Last edited by Bebbetufs; 05-08-2016 at 11:32 PM.
Old 05-09-2016, 06:36 AM   #11
Racer Boy

Where in Norway are you, Bebbetufs? My wife is from Rykkinn, west of Oslo. What tracks do run you run at?
Old 05-09-2016, 08:54 AM   #12

I'm on the rainy west coast. Abour 8-9 hours from the only two tracks in the southern half of Norway. Rudskogen is the most modern and longest track. Vålerbanen has a nice inside loop which is almost like a tarmac rally stage. Huge fun in small cars.
2011 Mistubishi i-MiEV
Norway
Old 05-09-2016, 01:06 PM   #13
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
Quote:
What tires do you run with those settings?
Regular Michelin Pilot Sport 2 but more recently Michelin Cup 2. I had a very similar set up on my last Boxster and both are fast road cars only.

The 'drill' is very innocuous. It's 5mm if that in the existing camber slot. If you are tidy the next owner is never going to be able to tell.
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 03:03 PM   #14

I'll be dealing with this soon. I need to refresh the front end - thinking that will involve new tie rods (inner and outer) as well as new control arms. My car current is at 3 degrees with 0 toe in the front (well at the last alignment that is). It does not have camber plates or adjustable control arms. It has some small slots in the tower. The ride is is REAL low in front which is how I think he achieved these numbers. Which is also why I think the tie rods and control arms are shot.
rastta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 04:43 PM   #15
Racer Boy

Quote:
I'm on the rainy west coast. Abour 8-9 hours from the only two tracks in the southern half of Norway. Rudskogen is the most modern and longest track. Vålerbanen has a nice inside loop which is almost like a tarmac rally stage. Huge fun in small cars.
Too bad you are on the rainy coast, perhaps you should move to the tropical coast! Where are you, in Stavanger, or someplace smaller? The closest I've been to the coast is Preikestolen. Your country is incredibly beautiful with lots of great roads (but very slow traffic and speed limits)! I've been to Norway four times, and look forward to going again. I married well, my wife's family has a cottage on the Drammensfjord where we can stay during summer vacations.

I've seen the Red Bull video of their F1 car at Rudskogen, it looks like a cool track. I was unaware that there were any other tracks in Norway; I'd never heard of Vålerbanen before.

Back on topic, your Boxster may not require as much camber as your Clio, as the Clio has a much taller CG, and probably a narrower track as well.