Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2014, 09:51 AM   #1

Arm Restraint Questions

Perusing the rules I noted that if you run an aftermarket hard top you have to run arm restraints. So I have a decision to make ... save money and run arm restraints, or spend extra and go without. I have never raced with arm restraints, so I have a couple questions for those that have:
  1. How difficult was it to adjust to wearing arm restraints?
  2. How much do they restrict movement?
  3. Did it slow egress from the vehicle in emergency situations?

Thanks!

ianacole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:55 PM   #2

I have worn arm restraints for many years, and they never really bother me.

I used to race an open cockpit sports racer class in SCCA back in the 1990's, and started wearing them then. I still like to run my 986S on track without a top, so I am wearing them again.

The safety belts should loop through the end of the restraints on each side before you plug them into your 6 point harness latch. When this is done properly, they should not impede your getting out of the car when the latch is opened.

I usually start with them up above my elbows, but they frequently work their way down my arm during a session and end up about half way down my forearm, which is really where they should be to be effective as a restraint. In this location, they do not interfere with steering or gear change, but they do make it difficult to point anyone by, so you need to be faster than everyone else

I have a set of Simpson restraints and a set of G-Force restraints. I actually like the G-Force units better as they have metal rings instead of a fabric loop at the ends, but that is just personal preference.

986S
991S
Van Diemen RF97
LAP1DOUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:37 PM   #3
Certified Boxster Addict

I had the exact same concerns before I wore arm restraints for the first time. Here is my experience;

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianacole View Post
1. How difficult was it to adjust to wearing arm restraints?
Ridiculously easy. It was so easy that I don't know why I ever worried about it. I wear them on my forearms. I also have a window net and a roof net (in case the roof comes off in a rollover). You can't be too safe.

Quote:
2. How much do they restrict movement?
None during race driving. I honestly never noticed them. The only proviso I'll add is that reaching out the window net to signal a point by was a little bit harder (because the objective of the arm restraint is to keep your hands INSIDE!).

Quote:
3. Did it slow egress from the vehicle in emergency situations?
No, almost none. I practiced getting out and it was simple and easy.

Mine are from Sparco and cost $30. They have the web loop at the bottom which worked fine for me.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 07-28-2014 at 07:43 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:10 AM   #4

Thanks for the responses! Certainly put my mind at ease (and my wallet...some).
Old 07-30-2014, 07:16 AM   #5
Certified Boxster Addict

Here is a race video while I am wearing the arm restraints (you can see the big Sparco logo on my forearm). You may have to click through and watch it full screen to see all of the detail.

As you can see, I am working the wheel pretty hard in a few spots and shifting with no interference from the arm restraints. Like I said, I forgot they were there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWKv3WtUkOY
1979 911 SC
Old 07-30-2014, 08:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Here is a race video while I am wearing the arm restraints (you can see the big Sparco logo on my forearm). You may have to click through and watch it full screen to see all of the detail.

As you can see, I am working the wheel pretty hard in a few spots and shifting with no interference from the arm restraints. Like I said, I forgot they were there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWKv3WtUkOY
Nice run! Great "reeling in" of the green Boxster. You certainly didn't look impeded with the arm restraints...even during the tank slappers. How many heat cycles on the tires?
Old 07-30-2014, 10:27 AM   #7
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
How many heat cycles on the tires?
The Toyo RR's were brand new at the start of the weekend. This was the last race on Sunday afternoon after 3 practice sessions + 2 qualifying sessions + 1 race = total of 6 heat cycles before this race.
1979 911 SC
Old 07-30-2014, 11:38 AM   #8

ianacole?

You coming to High Planes with us in a few weeks for the PCA Club race??

We should have a 20+ SPB field with all the fastest guys from TX
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 12:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Roberts
ianacole?

You coming to High Planes with us in a few weeks for the PCA Club race??

We should have a 20+ SPB field with all the fastest guys from TX
Brad,

I will be out there on Sunday, but not racing...car will barely have temp tags by then. I hear the Colorado guys are way faster than the Texas guys, or so say Mike Q.

Ian

Last edited by ianacole; 07-30-2014 at 12:24 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
The Toyo RR's were brand new at the start of the weekend. This was the last race on Sunday afternoon after 3 practice sessions + 2 qualifying sessions + 1 race = total of 6 heat cycles before this race.
What lifespan are you experiencing on the RRs? Is 6 cycles typical, or was it a hotter than normal day. It seemed that you were not expecting the behavior (at least that's what I took from your comments in the video).
Old 07-30-2014, 02:28 PM   #11
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
What lifespan are you experiencing on the RRs? Is 6 cycles typical, or was it a hotter than normal day. It seemed that you were not expecting the behavior (at least that's what I took from your comments in the video).
I think that it was driver inexperience, not the tires!

With that being said, I have found that a new set per weekend is required for me to place in the Top 5. The tires last well beyond that but my speed starts to fall off. Yes, I am probably using new tires as a bit of a crutch.

A better driver would be able to compensate for the tires as they wear and keep times up through more of the life of the tire. I aspire to be that driver by year end!

Brad, can you weigh in here? What is the typical number of HC's that folks are seeing?
1979 911 SC

Last edited by thstone; 07-30-2014 at 02:33 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:04 PM   #12

8 HC's.. they are done for the amateur. A pro *can* turn the laps on 20HC tires.. (I had David Murray in a SPB a few weeks back turning fast laps at VIR on 28HC tires)

I know how to keep an amateur moving on them at a good pace with a high number of HC's
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.

Last edited by Brad Roberts; 07-30-2014 at 04:13 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:16 PM   #13

FYI: I can only make them last if you are running square (which 99% of the country is doing) it doesn't involve flipping them or doing anything crazy.. and it makes ZERO difference where they are located on the car based on "serial number" .. all horshesh_t...
Old 07-30-2014, 04:26 PM   #14

Quote:
or so say Mike Q
I met Quigley! at Texas World Speedway earlier this year Good guy and pretty damn fast.

Now.. If I could *just* get the CA. guys to get out of their own backyard once in awhile.. it would be GAME ON
Old 07-30-2014, 04:38 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Roberts View Post
I met Quigley! at Texas World Speedway earlier this year Good guy and pretty damn fast.

Now.. If I could *just* get the CA. guys to get out of their own backyard once in awhile.. it would be GAME ON
Yah, Quigley's good people. I raced with him in GTS back when I was racing. One of the reasons for coming to SpecBoxster.

What car number will you be running? I'll make sure to swing by and introduce myself in August.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:19 PM   #16

Car 31 (at least) I may bring out more. He is signed up right now. We will do the test day prior to the event (neither of us have been there) and I'll get a handle on what the car wants for that track. He can run in the top 10 with the Texas guys.

Sucks that the closest hotels are nearly an hour away We will probably rent an RV.. checked on the RV spaces at the track? all sold out.. damn..
Old 07-30-2014, 05:29 PM   #17

Hey! Do you know how to get a hold of Chris Wilson? Pro driver out of Monument.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:36 PM   #18

I don't know Chris Wilson. I may be able to reach out to some of the drivers I do know here to see if anyone has his contact info. If you want to go that route shoot me your details via PM and I'll see what I can dig up.

Yah, HPR is definitely lacking on the local support front...the woes of having to find cheap land far away from the city. I don't know that I would recommend any of the Byers' hotels/motels.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:44 PM   #19

Cant delete the post... I'm a dumba_s. Had his number in my phone LOL
Old 07-30-2014, 05:54 PM   #20

Chris is a instructor for Skip Barber race series (open wheel) and has been for 20+ years. He has ran in ALMS/GrandAm since 1999 in GT cars (and GS) He was a wrench on multiple 962's back in the day.. he knows setup/data/video and privately instructs. I'll use him to lay down some data laps for us on his home track (He lives in Monument) and.. we will go from there!!

I'm willing to bet.. (because Barber pays him bank) that he is the best road race instructor for at least a 3 state radius (if not more)

I get a kick out of 90% of these posts "how do I make my car faster" Our answer *should* be .. hire a coach