Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2013, 09:53 PM   #1

x51 type baffle that works with deep sump spacer kit

in all my search, i couldn't find anyone that used both X51 baffle AND the deep sump spacer kit.

first off, i did not want to get the factory X51 kit because it comes with plastic windows. i think most of you feel the same and hence the reason to go aftermarket.

i ordered both X51 type baffle and 0.5L BK deep sump kit thru Tarett.
upon receiving the kits, i realized that the deep sump kit's center spacer was not compatible with the EBS baffle and wondered if it might make matters worse if I install the baffle as the bottom of the baffle is raised and would defeat the whole purpose of trapping the oil in the baffle. As mentioned above, searching the web looking for info if anyone used both X51 baffle AND deep sump kit, turned up nothing. It was either X51 baffle OR the deep sump kit. Most seem to go with the former as it does a better job. well, i wanted to do both x51 baffle and deep sump kit.

so i informed Ira@Tarett about the dilemma. he checked with his supplier and later told me that his supplier (EBS) is coming up with a new baffle that works with the deep sump spacer kit. they sent me a new one to try it. the new baffle still does not use the center spacer of the deep dump spacer kit but this new baffle a bit different in that the bottom sits flat on the pan.

just thought this might be useful info. following are the pics.
special thanks for the folks @ Tarett for the excellent customer service and their responsiveness.

side by side, original EBS baffle and new EBS baffle. you can tell the differences from the bottom. it might have also been a tad taller. can't remember and the pics don't really show it.

new baffle with .5 BK deep sump kit. the bottom sits better on the pan.

i later changed the OE baffle bolts/spacer to the ones that came with the EBS baffle.

BK spacer on the oil pickup. this is important so that it also lowers the pickup. i'm sure most of you know this already.

in she goes. perfect fit!

joe shmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:25 AM   #2

Garage
Is the BK and the LN Deep Sump Spacers the same?
Thanks
Van
Van914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:27 AM   #3
Track rat

Garage
Looks like it should work. I chose the X51 windage pan only back in 2009 when few other options were available. So far, so good. The only car I know running a BK deep sump spacer has blown three motors with it on. I now wonder if he thought to add the oil pickup extension when he installed the kit.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:42 AM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless View Post
Looks like it should work. I chose the X51 windage pan only back in 2009 when few other options were available. So far, so good. The only car I know running a BK deep sump spacer has blown three motors with it on. I now wonder if he thought to add the oil pickup extension when he installed the kit.
I believe when the BK spacer was introduced it was just the pan spacer no oil p/u spacer.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van914 View Post
Is the BK and the LN Deep Sump Spacers the same?
Thanks
Van
yes i believe they are pretty much the same as far as what's included. not sure about material or fit. i didn't see any issues with BK and it was $$ cheaper than LN.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
I believe when the BK spacer was introduced it was just the pan spacer no oil p/u spacer.
perhaps the early kits did not have the oil pickup spacer. the kit i received have it.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:01 PM   #6

Do you plan on data logging oil pressure? by any chance? I have data from every track up and down the coast. I'd like to compare it one day (if you plan on it)
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Roberts View Post
Do you plan on data logging oil pressure? by any chance? I have data from every track up and down the coast. I'd like to compare it one day (if you plan on it)
i would if i could. what's involved?
i have durametric if that works.
would have to strap down the laptop.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Just looking at the sump arrangement one would think the windage tray is the most important piece in maintaining a discrete, trapped volume of oil for the pic up. Yet I never hear this mentioned in most set ups....you are the only other that I have come across that runs one...on banks no less

Maybe they will catch on soon or already have
Old 07-18-2013, 08:07 PM   #9

Quote:
i would if i could. what's involved?
i have durametric if that works.
The 986 does not have the oil pressure sending unit in place like the 996 does so unless you add a pressure sending unit, you won't see oil pressure
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:10 PM   #10

Quote:
one would think the windage tray is the most important piece in maintaining a discrete, trapped volume of oil for the pic up
Porsche thought so Every X51 3.8 engine shipped with the "trap door" pan. Then Porsche decided we didn't need it anymore and stopped selling it!! Luckily, Don and the gang at EBS stepped up and offer the steel unit in the pics above. I have used both. They both work well and I install it on every engine built.