Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2013, 09:43 AM   #21

This is great looking! Def. subscribed. Porsche should have did this from the get go.

bravosd6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:35 PM   #22

Imagine being able to turn your 986 Boxster into a CayBox for a mere $2,500.

I think that a street/Race version of this will have some marketability as a product.

You just need some kind of trunk access to get at the dipstick/oil/water fill ports and the trunk space.

Someone with decent Fiberglass and mold making skills could probably make a nice business out of this.

Surely theres a retired Porsche enthusiast with these skills and time that could use the extra dough.

$30/hr x 40 hrs per unit = 1,200
Materials 300
-------------
Unit Manufacturing cost $1,500

Once you get into production and with 2 molds
one person could make 2 units per week.

30/hr x 20 hrs per unit = 600
materials 300
--------
Unit Manufacturing cost $900

Profit per unit is $1600 plus earning 30/hr

So in a year thats $1600 x 48 working weeks x 2 units per week = $153,600
Plus $30/hr for 48 weeks = $57,600
---------------
$211,200/yr

Deduct the outsource of 2 mold making costs in the first year ~$15,000

Anyone want to earn their next brand new car for 6 months work.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:57 PM   #23

difference between street and track roof:

two molds per unit - inner and outer + trim for windows

rear and side windows - glass or Lexan? custom shape, straps required if Lexan, gotta form any curves.

weather-stripping - front, side, hatch.

hardware - front latch, side spinlocks, rear trunk latch.

headliner?

electrical - third brake light (otherwise not legal)? rear defrost?

willing to give-up your trunk and access to oil/coolant? if so then ok, otherwise two more molds and additional hardware for some sort of rear hatch.

google boxt cars - they tried it. of course zeintop (now back as z-art and can be found on facebook). and there's a few others out there that ripped molds from used zeintops and are selling such thinks. also dmoris are doing something similar.

it's expensive, highly custom and a small market. also they are heavy up high and squeak like a bastard without a full cage.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:16 PM   #24
Boxster Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post
Imagine being able to turn your 986 Boxster into a CayBox for a mere $2,500.

I think that a street/Race version of this will have some marketability as a product.

You just need some kind of trunk access to get at the dipstick/oil/water fill ports and the trunk space.

Someone with decent Fiberglass and mold making skills could probably make a nice business out of this.

Surely theres a retired Porsche enthusiast with these skills and time that could use the extra dough.

$30/hr x 40 hrs per unit = 1,200
Materials 300
-------------
Unit Manufacturing cost $1,500

Once you get into production and with 2 molds
one person could make 2 units per week.

30/hr x 20 hrs per unit = 600
materials 300
--------
Unit Manufacturing cost $900

Profit per unit is $1600 plus earning 30/hr

So in a year thats $1600 x 48 working weeks x 2 units per week = $153,600
Plus $30/hr for 48 weeks = $57,600
---------------
$211,200/yr

Deduct the outsource of 2 mold making costs in the first year ~$15,000

Anyone want to earn their next brand new car for 6 months work.
LOL, you sir, are highly optimistic. If buildings, utilities, and tools were free and you could sell over a 100 of these a year, and find a way to only use $300 in materials, you would be RICH!

Windows, seals, latches, fiberglass, carbon, aluminum, seals, fabric, hardware, electrical, lights, hinges, chemicals, primer, packaging crates, a website, shipping, receiving, accounting, advertising...for $300 a unit.

I think the reality is you would spend $10k-$15k to make molds, sell 10 a year, make $500 a piece, and maybe make your money back in a few years, all the while having to store and maintain these huge molds and materials. Then have people say you are ripping them off at $2500.

The industry manufactures that I've contacted said they would not even invest $1500 of their time/money to make a mold because the return would be so small, even if I gave them the prototype for free.
4.0L Dry Sump Boxster GT race car - HRG #23
2005 Cayenne S - DD

Last edited by Eric523; 06-12-2013 at 01:19 PM.
Eric523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:42 PM   #25

The guy who designed the Zeintop is now selling them again under a different name. He posts to the boxster page on FB all the time. I do not, however, feel he is reputable or reliable any more than I felt he was a stand-up business man when he operated Zeintop.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:48 PM   #26

Any thoughts on cost for shipping the top from US to Europe?
Kroggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:38 PM   #27

It may be optimistic, but a retired guy with nothing better to do and needs a hobby and some extra income could make a go of it in his shop/garage I think.

How else are we going to get something like this?

Eric, yours is a custom one-off so i'll bet that was pretty pricey, but you have a mold so perhaps you could lease it if others want to make a copy?
That way you could recover some of your costs.

Shipping to Europe would probably cost quite a bit unless you can share a container with someone elses stuff.

I had to have a propeller shipped to Germany and back weighing only 30lbs and it fit in a 1'x'1x6' box and it cost $1200...so a bulky top would have to go with some other bulky freight by boat.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 06-12-2013 at 09:11 PM.
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:27 PM   #28

The problem is, although we all want one very badly, we do not big a large enough market to warrant putting any more money into this.
Crono0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:33 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric523 View Post
LOL, you sir, are highly optimistic. If buildings, utilities, and tools were free and you could sell over a 100 of these a year, and find a way to only use $300 in materials, you would be RICH!

Windows, seals, latches, fiberglass, carbon, aluminum, seals, fabric, hardware, electrical, lights, hinges, chemicals, primer, packaging crates, a website, shipping, receiving, accounting, advertising...for $300 a unit.

I think the reality is you would spend $10k-$15k to make molds, sell 10 a year, make $500 a piece, and maybe make your money back in a few years, all the while having to store and maintain these huge molds and materials. Then have people say you are ripping them off at $2500.

The industry manufactures that I've contacted said they would not even invest $1500 of their time/money to make a mold because the return would be so small, even if I gave them the prototype for free.
Eric, this is one of the best posts I've read on a forum in a long time. So much truth spoken in one post, and most people will never understand the challenges that shop owners face in trying to justify the cost in bringing any new product to market, especially products that appeal to such a small audience. Most people can recognize and maybe even appreciate exceptional quality, but few people are willing to pay a premium for it.

Last edited by kcpaz; 06-12-2013 at 10:37 PM.
kcpaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:31 AM   #30
The Legend

I don't know anything about racing (nor do I claim to) but I'd like to share an idea I've had for a while.

What if, theoretically, somebody could design just the rear half of a "Cayman-style" hardtop, which mounts together with the factory hardtop and replaces the deck lid?

It would require some innovative mounting technology, probably utilizing the mounting ports for the "Roof Rack" accessory, but be much cheaper to produce. It would be mostly an aesthetic piece, fitting with either an aluminum factory top or a lightweight aftermarket (fiberglass? CF?) top for racing purpose, so there would not need to be two separate (street and track) models. For street use, the sound/weatherproofing has already been worked out courtesy of our friends at Porsche.

This "half-top" is much cheaper to produce as it is smaller and merely external. As a result it should (theoretically) sell more units to owners. Part of the hesitancy of buying a Zeintop or a full custom "Cayman-style" top is the fear of being left with a custom product the owner cannot get rid of when he sells the car. With a "half-top" the owner still retains a factory hardtop, which is easier to sell and retains its value.

Is this feasible?
boxslrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:13 PM   #31
Boxster Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post
Eric, yours is a custom one-off so i'll bet that was pretty pricey, but you have a mold so perhaps you could lease it if others want to make a copy?
That way you could recover some of your costs.
That's just the thing, I don't have a mold. Making the part from scratch took almost a year and several thousand in time and materials. Making a mold will cost several more thousand, and then each piece will be expensive to duplicate out of it. Even if I made the mold and leased it out for $1000 per person/use, it would take me at least 10 people to break even...IF the mold didn't need to be shipped, or ever got damaged.

...and that's for the race version part with no access to the rear.
2005 Cayenne S - DD

Last edited by Eric523; 06-13-2013 at 02:24 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:03 PM   #32

Quote:
That's just the thing, I don't have a mold. Making the part from scratch took almost a year and several thousand in time and materials. Making a mold will cost several more thousand, and then each piece will be expensive to duplicate out of it. Even if I made the mold and leased it out for $1000 per person/use, it would take me at least 10 people to break even...IF the mold didn't need to be shipped, or ever got damaged.

...and that's for the race version part with no access to the rear.
So, no current plans to make more then?
Old 07-12-2013, 02:53 AM   #33

very very nice

Last edited by bravosd6; 07-12-2013 at 02:57 AM.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:14 AM   #34

I ended up just doing the cayman roof on mine. You have to buy all the windows(4), and the hatch. Quite a bit of work. I believe I first started when I made my first post on here, still not quite done.

I think the OP has made the best hard top for the boxster yet I've seen(for production). However, my personal opinion is that the Cayman roof is more fitting for the chassis. I wish I could see more roof's like ours on the box, cause the factory lump is just hideous.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:42 AM   #35
Boxster Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroggers View Post
So, no current plans to make more then?
There are plans to make a mold. Once I have some downtime in the track schedule and some money to burn...

I just don't know if it is going to be a part that is feasible to sell as a production piece. I'm not in the composite business and using our mechanical engineering staff to build fiberglass pieces isn't exactly the most economical way of production.
2005 Cayenne S - DD
Old 07-12-2013, 10:00 AM   #36

Quote:
There are plans to make a mold. Once I have some downtime in the track schedule and some money to burn...

I just don't know if it is going to be a part that is feasible to sell as a production piece. I'm not in the composite business and using our mechanical engineering staff to build fiberglass pieces isn't exactly the most economical way of production.
Communication sent via other media
Old 07-12-2013, 11:51 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclark133 View Post
The question of the day is, will we still be able to use stock windows for street use
I looks like even with his roof you could get away with doing what I did which was use cayman windows. I think you could use 911 windows too. I think I paid about 150 or so each for the front side windows. The boxster windows are curved and very small so. If you went with the OP's design you would have to switch windows.

It would make more since this way.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:00 PM   #38
Boxster Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroggers View Post
Communication sent via other media

Thanks Bud, I'll follow up with more news soon!

Looks like I have things lined up to get the molds done and roofs into production by the end of summer. Will also likely get my front and rear fenders molded at a more reasonable price than before.

Bummer I have to shut the racing down for two months to get it done but hopefully it will be worth it!
2005 Cayenne S - DD
Old 08-22-2013, 12:33 PM   #39

Garage
nice

I'm just staring up with a 986 race car project for an customer and I'm very interested in the roof
El Vikingo Tropical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:40 AM   #40

eric - how's this project coming along? still thinking of selling flares and roofs to a racing market?

The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote