Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2012, 02:40 PM   #1

First auto x

So I did my first auto X and I did not really care for it. Am i missing something ? I think I did ok , it was fun and the people were great . It just does not feel like real driving , second gear , maybe max speed of fifty and confusing cones everywhere. 1 minute and it is over and your waiting all day maybe to run a total of 10 minutes , lame . I thought it was kind of gay to watch gt3 cars run around cones and maybe touch 60 mph for a second. I'm going to be doing my first track day in a couple of weeks i hope it is better than auto x.

jacabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:17 PM   #2
Certified Boxster Addict

Based on your post, I believe that you'll find more of what you're looking for in a track day - four or five 20-30 minute sessions of continuous lapping, higher speeds (80-120mph depending on the track), and challenging corners requiring road racing skills to do well. Best of luck and let us know how it goes!
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:57 PM   #3

Felt the same way after a couple of autocross weekends..... What's the big deal??
Big mistake... it started me down a very expensive, but very fun slippery slope!!! I'm building my 3rd race car now and I can't stop!!!!! Don't go down that slope or you'll end up on the speed pipe like the rest of us!!!!!

-Chuck
'98 Boxster-SpecBox Racer
ckkrause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:27 PM   #4

Track days are A LOT more fun. On the flip side, they are A LOT more expensive as well. AutoX gives me a chance to learn my car better and have some LEGAL fun doing it. We can not drive like we do at an autoX on the street without being arrested. It's not all about speed sometimes. Yes, it can be boring sometimes and yes the amount of seat time you get isn't a a lot, but it can be fun as well.
gomarlins3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:44 PM   #5
Track rat

Garage
I'm with ya.
AX is a social event for car enthusiasts that also involves a few minutes of competitive driving. Some guys do really get into it though! It is fun and I do a few every year but I prefer spending the weekend trackside and getting 5-6 hours of seat time in my car along with 2-3 hours of seat time in my students car. Two tanks of gas, 200+ miles of performance driving, 1/2 set of tires, $1000.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:46 PM   #6

i am going to the next auto x to give it another shot. i can't wait for the track day but it is not cheap. seems worth it if you consider the seat time and you get repetition and rhythm that is just not possible with auto x .
Old 04-02-2012, 06:54 PM   #7

If I had a track in my state, I would do it more than 2 times a year, but the closest tracks I have are 6 1/2 hours away. Track days are in my top 5 things in I love in life, but it is also a $600 (minimum) weekend every time I go. I just don't have that kind of free cash every month.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:07 AM   #8
Rennzenn

Garage
How's this for an analogy: autocross is to DE as 100M hurdles is to 10K
I found autocross frustrating until I began to get good at it. It also can depend on how well the course is set up. On a good course, the skilled drivers really are driving fast, and the driver never stops moving his/her body. Personally, I hate the shorter choppy courses, especially if there are spots requiring downshifting to first. Ad nauseum you'll hear that tires make all the difference, but it is true, and it can be the difference between fun and frustration. Last weekend I did a test-n-tune on my street tires just for kicks. It sucked. The car was all over the place, and every time I tried to put the power down, the back end just kicked out. My times were crapola!

When you've finally figured it all out and the car is doing what it is supposed to, you are able to analyze specifics enough to put together a great run taking FTD by hundredths of a second, it gets VERY fun!
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacabean View Post
i am going to the next auto x to give it another shot. i can't wait for the track day but it is not cheap. seems worth it if you consider the seat time and you get repetition and rhythm that is just not possible with auto x .
Which event did you go to?

For a good time, come to the Devens AFB events in Ayer, MA. Approx 2 mile autocross courses: Sept-3-2011 SVT Auto-X - YouTube

The NE-SVT, TCUSA, and BSCC clubs are the best - Fast courses & relaxed atmosphere.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:25 AM   #10

Just saw a vid of the PCA autox on 4/1....looks pretty lame
PCA NER AutoX 1/School 2012 - YouTube

You should really come out to an event put on by one of the clubs mentioned above.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:30 AM   #11

Yeah, that was it . I did not understand why the course was not bigger , they have so much room at Devins you could set up a track there . I hope they do it better next time. if not i am gonna run over all their cones .
Old 04-03-2012, 09:23 AM   #12
Certified Boxster Addict

What track will you be at for the track day?

Just be forewarned that performance driving on a track is highly, highly addictive.
1979 911 SC
Old 04-03-2012, 03:11 PM   #13

First track day is at New hampshire Speedway.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:25 PM   #14

I've never done an auto X, but from this side of the pond, they look pretty silly.

SO much of the pleasure of driving is changing gears, tackling different speed corners, variable braking requirements. Ragging it around through endless slalom courses in one gear seems frankly a little bit bizarre!
Old 04-04-2012, 09:27 AM   #15

The thing that I enjoy about auto crossing is that you do not end up with a tremendous amount of out-of-pocket expenses, it gives you a better feel of your vehicle at road legal speeds, and the friends / camaraderie. Some people show up and feel that 6 60sec drives is not enough for the amount of time you spend standing around. I do agree, however I do enjoy those 6 minutes. =) If you want nonstop driving, do a track day! Track days are not comparable to auto crosses. They are totally different events.

2013 Lexus IS350awd
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2004 Porsche Boxster S
tnoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:11 PM   #16
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacabean View Post
First track day is at New hampshire Speedway.
It looks like you'll be doing something similar to the Roval (road course with oval) that we do at AutoClub Speedway in Fontana - the course goes down the front straight and through Turns 1 and 2 and then exits on the back straight for a road course section ultimately bringing you around through the infield to join the track again at the exit of Turn 4 (thereby skipping NASCAR Turns 3 and 4).

The Roval at Fontana is one of my favorite tracks to drive because there is nothing like going through Turns 1 and 2 on the NASCAR banking and the road course section is fast and fun.

You are sure to have a great time!
1979 911 SC
Old 04-05-2012, 12:37 AM   #17

IMO .. doing trackday is fun but IMHO .. assuming you don't have the raw talent of the next Schumacher .. its like learning to run before you walk ..

Before you learn how to take all the type of corners ( and there's more than just left / right ) .. learn how / when to brake / accelerate .. learn how to tell your tire is at traction limit .. you're adding in all the other bits like downshifting .. passing / pointing. Just makes it that much harder to get the BASICS down I think.
vijen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:14 PM   #18

Today's fastest run. 1998 Boxster (completely stock) on street tires.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:02 PM   #19

I send everyone to AutoX first. Sorry you have lame ass courses, but be happy you have an event "at all". Well run events here in CA. that net 8-12 runs depending on how many cars show up.

I teach people CAR CONTROL at AutoX. I also tell people: until you are beating the top dog in your class, why move on? Obviously he is a better driver than you

Where AutoX guy's kick other guy's asses at the track? NEW COURSES. The AutoX guy's learn new tracks in 1 session, and will only be a few tenths off where they will run all weekend within 2 sessions.

If you don't have a lot of Go-Kart experience, then AutoX is the next best thing.

I also have found over all these years, that the guy with *some* autoX experience doesn't want to run home midway through his first track day (it happens a lot) The AutoX guy is better prepared for the corners at speed and already has a better understanding of his cars limits.

Knock it if you choose.. but I can name off 8-10 current USA pro drivers who also have National Championships in SCCA AutoX.

B
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:52 AM   #20

So I did My 2 day DE event and it was awesome ! I never drove like that in my entire life. My instructor was also cool he took me out in his 997 GT3 on track tires , i almost lost my lunch after that run . He was trying to stay with a skyline GTR but got dusted .
I was very surprised that the Boxster was so capable . The first day it seemed like i was passing a lot of the field. The second day they all seemed to get a lot better and I was getting passed a lot. There was only 1 other boxster in the novice group which was a little disappointing but over all there was a great mix of cars. I think i am hooked i already signed up for the next event. Any advice on getting my car better prepared for the next event?