Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 05:00 PM   #1

Custom struts

I am building a Boxster for ITR in SCCA. I decided to design and build my own strut housings and use Koni 8611 1257 double adjustable strut inserts. First it helps to have a friend that has a CNC lathe in his garage. We made the prototype housing yesterday. I need to make a few adjustments in the height of the strut in the knuckle. But over all I am very happy with the way it turned out. I am also going to use a 6" spring instead of an 8" one and also change the upper spring perch.

Blake

bam914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:21 PM   #2

Nice work. Why did you feel the need to re-invent what can be purchased in so many variations already?
Old 02-17-2013, 05:50 PM   #3

I like to design my own parts. A lot of the parts offered won't work for me since the rules for SCCA don't allow most of the off the self parts. You can't use the GT3 arms so camber adjustment needs to be done with a camber plate. Most of the struts offered for the rear are to long to put a camber plate in. So the need for my own parts.

Flat 6 Innovations Engine Shop Foreman
Old 02-17-2013, 11:14 PM   #4

anyway you would think about selling these? thats pretty impressive
samrwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:37 AM   #5

Garage
I'd think one of the major advantages of doing it this way is that you free yourself from a bespoke "Porsche" (and thus overpriced) shock application.

Nice work.
grubinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubinski View Post
I'd think one of the major advantages of doing it this way is that you free yourself from a bespoke "Porsche" (and thus overpriced) shock application.

Nice work.
This is one of the main reasons. To get really double adjustable struts you would need to spend $4000+ for them and that would be just for the struts no springs, etc. I will have way less and have a set of struts that are designed for the ride height and spring rates I want.

I had thought about maybe selling some. I would do anything until after I see how these work.

Flat 6 Innovations Engine Shop Foreman
Old 02-19-2013, 12:52 PM   #7

Looking good!!

I think it was the mid 90's when we figured out we could install the Koni from a Mazda RX7 into a shortened 914 strut.

I cut the perches off of stock Boxster shocks (for another project) and thought.. hum.. I should drop a threaded sleeve down and try the stock shocks with some different springs

SCCA makes you innovate..

We ran a CaymanS in AutoX with PSS9's.. cant run the PSS9 spring!! had to cut the perches from stock shocks and drop them over a PSS9 and install PASM springs!!

I just got my quote back from Ohlins for 4 987 CaymanS shocks.. 10k!!!

We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote