Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2011, 02:16 AM   #1
Rennzenn

Garage
Boxster weights

Sooo....AX season is almost finished and I'm already thinking of this winter's projects. One thing in particular that I've realized is that the Box sure does love losing weight to go faster. Currently my car (2000 986S) is around 2750. I'm not a Spec racer, but just for reference, what's the Spec minimum? What are some of the things Spec guys have done to pull weight out of the car?
The major things I've done:
Top and all it's stuff is gone
Spoiler is gone (I'm using Aerokit II lid and wing)
Carpet is gone in cabin and both trunks
Racing seats
Braille battery (absolute junk, it causes electrical issues)

what should be next???

j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 06:33 AM   #2
Track rat

Garage
BSX class is 2900 with driver (my car weighs 2710 empty)
BSR class is 2650 with driver (empty car is around 2470)

Boxster Spec Racing Official Website

It just depends on how far you want to go. Stock muffler, A/C system, stereo, carpeting all add weight. Eric523 has a great BSR build thread on Renntrack. His car is to-the-max and he really knows how to drive it.

Guess who just got a boxter?
Old 09-30-2011, 10:49 AM   #3

Awsome link...thanks!
Old 10-05-2011, 07:36 PM   #4

You said "racing seats". Remove the passenger seat, spare, radio, A/C, door panels...
Old 10-25-2011, 04:48 AM   #5

you got a lot of the low hanging fruit.

you mentioned carpets; the sound deadening around the engine is HUGE (35lb+); it's 8" thick in some parts.

cat bypass pipes save 20lb over the OEM cat pipes.

racing muffler saves 45lb over OEM

(precision chassis works sells a BSR legal header back exhaust system that weights only 17lbs. the OEM is close to 90lb)

AC was much lighter than i thought it would be. 15lb for the compressor, 5lb each for the condensers & 4lb for the tubing (29lb total).

you mentioned the convertible top & all its 'stuff'. did you get the transmissions out? they're HEAVY.

obviously speakers & stereo stuff

side airbags = 5lb each
passenber airbag = 10lb
steering wheel / airbag = 12lb (if you install a racing wheel instead)

it's a slippery slope.....

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 03:34 AM   #6
Rennzenn

Garage
Funny, the more I do, the more I forget that I've done! I've taken care of the exhaust: headers, Fabspeed bypass pipes, and a Borla muffler. I've also removed all of the stock sound deadener around the engine. The top transmissions and all hardware is gone, as are the clamshell linkages. It's now held in place with rubber tie-downs. I've also removed the rear trunk latch and cable, replacing that with aluminum pins. A CF or fiberglass hood may be in the future..
I plan to ditch the door & passenger airbags this winter, as soon as I can get a little quality time with a PST-II. The AC is also on the chopping block. If the PST-II has a disable feature for the secondary air injection, all of that will be gone as well.
I've heard that the rubberized undercoating is pretty heavy. Any thoughts on that?

My personal "rule" is that I can drive the car to and from autocrosses. That means keeping a VA inspection sticker. The folks I take it to aren't worried about the exhaust, but I can't have airbag lights on, and can't replace the steering wheel. I'm wondering what I could lose from the doors, but I think I'm stuck with the power windows, as I need some function there.
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 03:44 AM   #7

oh! you just reminded me: flash to the RoW program with the PST. this disables the secondary air injection system, allowing removal of the valves & the pump. that pump is HEAVY!! the RoW flash will also eliminate the second set of O2 sensors & the clutch start switch.

airbag light is easy: remove the bulb!

undercoating is appx. 40lb. if you figure out an easy way to remove it, do share!

one thing that caught my eye the other day was the windshield wiper apparatus at the cowl. HUGE chunks of metal moving those things! wondering if it can be simplified & have some of the framing removed.

so you've done all that & you're still at 2,750?!?!? i haven't put mine on scales, but it's a no option '99, which was listed at 2,800lb when new. i'd be shocked if it was over 2,600.

Old 11-02-2011, 06:00 PM   #8

Quote:
one thing that caught my eye the other day was the windshield wiper apparatus at the cowl. HUGE chunks of metal moving those things! wondering if it can be simplified & have some of the framing removed.
Takes 20min to remove the whole wiper assembly. I take it with me to the track and reinstall as needed

B
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:04 PM   #9

Quote:
oh! you just reminded me: flash to the RoW program with the PST. this disables the secondary air injection system, allowing removal of the valves & the pump. that pump is HEAVY!! the RoW flash will also eliminate the second set of O2 sensors & the clutch start switch.
and makes it run like poo poo.. You can remove the pump and valves without the flash. Porsche sells the factory blockoff plates for $16 (euro cars don't have smog pumps) and our cars only use them during cold start.

I have tried the euro tune multiple times. Unless you "retune" their tune.. it makes less power.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:09 AM   #10

brad -

really? how much less power? all i've ever run on my 3.4L is the RoW. wouldn't i trip a CEL?

as for the wiper assembly, do you know what it weighs? ;-) thanks

Old 11-03-2011, 06:24 AM   #11

Where does this stop? The way I see it is that, unless you are going to dedicate a car exclusively to racing, worrying about the weight of wipers and small items borders on "automotive anorexia". You can remove everything from the car except essential items (including gallons of gas not needed for a specific run) but in the end, unless the car is a dedicated racer, you just have a stripped Boxster.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:29 AM   #12

haha it NEVER stops! think about this: the ONLY two things that affect EVERY aspect of performance are tires and WEIGHT. a few hundred pounds makes a very, very noticable difference in lap times.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:21 AM   #13

I promise I have built the lightest Boxster we will see based on a factory steel tub

1985lbs.. with ABS.. yes it is an obsession and anything under 2300lbs becomes VERY difficult. Yes, it is a dedicated AutoX car, and yes.. I could have easily pulled another 20-30lbs out by getting rid of the stock gas tank and going to fiberglass door skins.. oh.. and getting rid of the big cage in the car.

I believe I can build a 1925lb tub if I start with a bare tub

Insight? I believe you have a Roock conversion car correct? Do you have the cheap Chinese made headers?

B
Old 11-03-2011, 08:32 AM   #14

i did my conversion myself. basics on the engine install:

- '99 3.4L w/ LN IMS, LN oil pump drive, & some new bits
- Stock 3.4L RoW program
- eBay Headers (1-5/8" primaries & 2" secondary)
- fabspeed cat bypass when at the track
- stebro race muffler
- custom intake w/ BMC air box
- Boxster MAF mounted in BMW 3.5" MAF housing (from BMW 540i)

Old 11-03-2011, 08:43 AM   #15

what does it lay down to the rear wheels?

where did you find 1 5/8 headers? (cool)
Old 11-03-2011, 08:59 AM   #16

the headers were dumb luck. i can't even remember who i bought them from. as for power? unknown, but at 4:55 in this video, you can guage output by comparing me to a 2008 Carrera S down the back straight at road atlanta. he pulls me, but not by much.

FYI, my car is a no-option '99 with about 250lb stripped out of it.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:27 AM   #17

Tough tell by the video, I don't have a reference point for corner entry/exit speeds

You need to dyno the car.. and have them run the O2 sniffer on it when they do it. I'm up to about 10 cars now (97-99) that have fuel pumps that cannot supply the fuel volume necessary to safely run the larger engines.

I promise (on my moms grave..lol) that you are leaving power on the table. A lot. You did the right thing with the larger intake tubes ans such, but the headers are still too small and a real tuners (there are only about 4 in the USA) need to be visited. Stay away from the "generic" tunes sold out there. The car needs to be dyno'd, logged and tuned!

B
Old 11-03-2011, 10:10 AM   #18

any of these 'real' tuners happen to reside in georgia? :-)

BTW, the fuel pump in the '99 box is the same as the one in the '99 996. do you really mean to tell me that the pump in the early 996 didn't produce enough volume to support the OEM engine? surprising. what do you replace it with? the one from the 3.6L cars? direct fit?

thx for all the input.

Old 11-03-2011, 11:25 AM   #19

No. The pumps are wearing out. Not failing 100% but cannot supply the volume at high RPM. Have you performed the Porsche volume test on your pump? Most people don't know about it and don't have a PSTII or PIWIS to test their volume.

None in Georgia. The closest guy to you is in Arkansas. He is the man behind the curtains on the Softronic stuff.

Dyno it on a GOOD dyno.. (Dynapack/Mustang/etc) something where they can load it and gather high quality 02 readings. The Dyno Jet pulls are good, but lack high quality 02 readings that someone from afar can use to tune properly.

The reason there are so little people? the software to interface is expensive.. I use a tuner locally that does damn near all the Porsches running pro in Grand Am. He travels, but he is not cheap. After 8hrs on the dyno one day, we managed 328 to the wheels with a 3.4. I believe there is more, but we ran out of money before we ran out time! lol
Old 11-03-2011, 11:32 AM   #20

wow; that's big power. is that on race fuel?

correct me if i'm wrong, but it SOUNDS like you're saying i can dyno it here w/ data logging and have someone in a different state modify my program?