Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2007, 08:35 AM   #1

first auto-x -- clueless

I signed up for my first auto-x for next Saturday (18th) and I have NO IDEA what to expect!

I don't have my own helmet. I don't know what to raise my tire pressure to. I don't know anything!

Is there anyone who has done this who can give me tips? I just want to have fun but I don't want to embarrass myself.

Thanks guys.

Btw if anyone is interested, it's http://motorsportsne.com/ and it's gonna be in Giants Stadium.

Old 03-10-2007, 09:46 AM   #2

Hi,

Ahh to be at the bottom of the Learning Curve - I can't even remember back that far.

First, the expense of a Helmet can be overwhelming, especially for a sport which you have yet to decide is gonna be a regular thing. But a Head Sock or Balaclava is pretty cheap and prevents you from getting cooties from a borrowed Helmet or spreading yours...

Usually, you'll want to lower your tire pressures a couple Lbs. to increase the contact patch, not too much because you don't want to roll over the Tire, but start with Street pressures and adjust between runs - it's nice to have an air bottle or even one of those cig. lighter inflators along with a good gauge (add a pyrometer once you really get competitive). Also, be sure to remove any loose gear in the cockpit or the trunks.

Don't worry about embarrassing yourself. In a field of experienced competitiors, you will - that's pretty much a given for a 1st timer.

Instead concentrate on learning. If you hit a cone, the time penalty will usually take you out of the running, but don't let up (a common rookie trait) - consider this now a Free Run and press even harder! Experiment and learn for the next run. Don't worry what others think - they were all there too once.

Depending upon how the course is laid out, you're unlikey to see 3rd gear, or if so, maybe only once/run. Get your 1-2 shift down and use the brakes more than the clutch or letting off the gas - keep the revs up. Look at the next gate, not the current one and try to set your line early. Once you learn this, there's no need to see what you're doing now - you plotted that course in the last gate - concentrate on the next one. If you blow a gate, forget it - play the next shot, don't replay the last one...

If you have acquaintances or friends there, ask them to watch your runs and get their report - they will often see things you can't. Since you cannot expect to be competitive against seasoned drivers, I like to recommend that rookies take a ride-along with some others and also that you take a passenger on the 1st run or so. This will give the car less lean/lift through the gates and allow you to better concentrate on your next line - the car will feel more stable.

Also, most Auto-Xs have Buck Runs prior to, or after, the event. You pay a buck to do more laps - practice, practice, practice! But, more important than any of this - HAVE FUN!!...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 03-10-2007 at 09:52 AM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 10:00 AM   #3

Thanks for the tips.

They check your tire pressure there to make sure it's where they want it to be before they let you run. Is there a quick tool I can buy to pump air into my tires, or do I need to visit a gas station for that?

I'm bringing my friend w/ me and I will try to record him and he will record me.

Thanks a bunch
Old 03-10-2007, 11:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian Motorist
Thanks for the tips.

They check your tire pressure there to make sure it's where they want it to be before they let you run. Is there a quick tool I can buy to pump air into my tires, or do I need to visit a gas station for that?

I'm bringing my friend w/ me and I will try to record him and he will record me.

Thanks a bunch
Hi,

There are a number of 12-volt inflators out there ranging from good - $, to Better - $$, to Best - $$$.

If you do a lot of auto-X you'll want the Best or a portable Air Bottle - http://www.cdoc.com/detail.asp?id=14957&name= .

But, for beginners, and those not wanting to make a big investment, you can simply use one of the Cheapies like those listed here: http://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/catalog/default.php?cPath=2_205_8&page=1&sort=4a . Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 03:20 PM   #5

Hi Bavarian Motorist

Go very quickly to amazon.com and type "Secrets of Solo Racing: Expert Techniques for Autocrossing and Time Trials"
You want to read the first chapters before your Auto-X weekend, believe me.

By the way, I see your handle is "Bavarian Motorist" from where in Bavaria are you? I am from Muenchen

Servus
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 04:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZang
Hi Bavarian Motorist

Go very quickly to amazon.com and type "Secrets of Solo Racing: Expert Techniques for Autocrossing and Time Trials"
You want to read the first chapters before your Auto-X weekend, believe me.

By the way, I see your handle is "Bavarian Motorist" from where in Bavaria are you? I am from Muenchen

Servus

Oh, haha. Bavarian Motorist refers to my love for BMWs. My first two REAL cars

Thank you for the tip on www.amazon.com
Old 03-10-2007, 09:51 PM   #7

Well, I did my first autocross this year, so I remember a thing or two of what its like to be brand new.

First of all: You are going to be so excited and nervous that no matter how many things you are told to think about, you wont. This is nothing to be worried about. Your first time out you have a lot to figure out, so don't beat yourself up if you don't take the right line, or go off course, or don't have the right tire pressure. Your first and foremost concern should always just to be -safe- while still having fun. After 2-3 events, then start worrying about other things (entrance speeds, launch rpms, apexs, etc).

I highly disagree with lowering your tire pressure. Lowering your tire pressures will NOT give you a greater contact patch when cornering, and these events are all about the turns. You will roll onto your sidewalls, have mushy turn ins, have a higher slip angle and will have a much greater chance of spinning the vehicle. I would recommend boosting your psi to about 5lbs over what you run on the street, but take care to look at your tires after a run. If you see scuff marks on your sidewall, add more air. If you don't see scuff marks, then LEAVE IT ALONE. You have far more to think about during your first (and second, and third and fourth even) events then the tire pressure. Unless you've taken the car to some track days, or done other performance driving, you probably will not notice a difference in the feel of the car with different psi until you've run events several times. It took me upwards of 10 events before I finally pinpointed a good psi for the way I drive. By the end of the season I was running 45 rear, 40 front. Of course, this is ALL going to be dependent on your driving, your vehicle set up, and your tires/wheel size. Here's a pretty neat calculator that helps you figure out what some good pressures might be. Technically it's for a 911, but at least you can get a general feel of where the "optimal" pressures are for a somewhat similar vehicle.

When you get there, remember the face of the people who either tech your car, register you, or give the novice walkthrough (if your region does that). You can most likely count on those people being very open to helping you out, whether it be to tell you when to get in grid, or just answer general driving questions. Oh, and try your hardest to get a ride along with one of the more experienced drivers. You'll see just how hard someone can push a vehicle Ask questions, get to know people, and ALWAYS stay AFTER the event to help clean up. Many volunteers put a lot of work into making the event run.... the least you can do is help make the end of their day easier by cleaning up some cones, or whatnot. Along those same lines, don't skip worker duties, if your region has them. Be considerate.

Remember to have -fun-. Chances are you aren't going to win, but who the hell cares? That's not why you should be there... you get to drive one of the funnest cars in a way that only a small percentage in the world actually do, and you get to do it legally and safe. It will make you appreciate your vehicle in a whole new way.

I hope you have a good time, and let us know how it goes

PS: Here's the website I read before my first event: http://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=648981&lastnode_id=0

Edit: I bought a $20 portable air compressor from Sears that has been very good to me. I don't use the tire pressure gauge that comes with it, because it seems to vary sometimes... but it's still lightweight, portable and quick. You aren't going to be pumping in 50 pounds of air, so you really don't need anything fancier. In fact, 65% of the regulars in my region all have the same one.

Edit edit: Don't forget lots of water and sunscreen.
Autocrosses: 22
Track Days: 1
http://www.crife.net

Last edited by 986 Girl; 03-10-2007 at 09:55 PM.
986 Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 11:18 PM   #8

They actually check your tire pressure to make sure it is where they want it to be before you run, so I am not too worried about that.

Thanks for telling me where to buy one. MNboxster showed me a place to order online, but I'm worried it wouldn't be here on time.

I am going w/ a friend or two, so I can store some items in his car while I'm running.

One thing that concerns me is that I have to use one of the helmets that was being borrowed BEFORE my runs. Ick!!!! (remembering to bring Febreze and disinfectant)

I watched some vids of auto-xs on youtube and to be honest it looks very intimidating. I would get lost and confused and probably stall out!!!

I am very excited, though. Thanks everyone for encouragement.
Old 03-11-2007, 04:20 AM   #9
bmussatti

Bavarian Motorist, hey, great decission on your part! Have fun. Your best "purchased mod" to date so far.
Old 03-11-2007, 06:52 AM   #10

To be honest it is my ONLY purchased mod!

Oh wait. I caved in and bought the ECU flash from Powerchip for $600
Old 03-11-2007, 07:26 AM   #11

A few items to note...

1) Keep in mind that most likely this early in the season you will be one of many newbies at the event. I like autocrossing because everyone is there for the same reason and I've never had someone turn away from a question. 9 times out of 10 they have given me even more advice than what I had originally questioned.
2) The most important thing is to remember to have fun. Even when you have a few events under your belt never forget to have fun.
3) As 986 Girl stated be safe. Everyone's #1 priority is to be safe. One of the most dangerous areas is the staging area so never let your guard down.
4) I run 36 psi front and 38 psi rear.
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 07:54 AM   #12

Here's a few in car videos of a friend of mine last year at a local event, if you want a few more videos

http://www.codaracing.net/vids/?dir=./2006

And if you want to see my lovely handling in his car for the first time (an Integra... slight change from a boxster) They are the two labeled "cassie". He rode along with me, so you'll hear his voice in the background too.

http://www.codaracing.net/vids/?dir=./2006/WNY_6_ECCN_7_30_06/Fun_Runs

Then here's the only out of car videos I have of me... Ended up taking first place... I had such a good time that day:

http://www.sonikempire.com/AutoX/NAS_986_run1.wmv

Man, after watching those again, I'm still -so- wide on the cones... you should literally be running over the bottoms of them in slalom type areas, but I still have to work on that.
Autocrosses: 22
Track Days: 1
http://www.crife.net
986 Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 01:04 PM   #13
Track rat

Garage
Bav,

Excellent! As others have said, have fun and be safe. If they offer an instructor at your course ask for one. You will learn volumes by riding with someone who really knows how to go fast. Be open to suggestions as they critique your driving. Focus on learning... winning comes later. Don't be surprised if you get spanked by some old guy in a 914 with only 130 HP. It happens.
Old 03-11-2007, 02:16 PM   #14

I don't autox nearly as much as I used to. Its a big committment of time for very limited running, anything fewer than 10 laps is a bummer. But As a beginner, you can't beat it. You will learn all the basics that they teach you in those ultra expensive driving courses like Bondurant, Barber etc. But with Autox its a fraction of the cost and you will have the oppourtunity to pick up where you left off the week before. It will take you at least half a dozen events before anything "sinks in". If you have some karting or other HP driving in your resume, then you should get comfortable quick, but if you don't you will be not so comfy and will be reacting rather than "thinking". As your comfort level rises you will do more thinking and less reacting. When you can do a whole lap thinking two cones/gates ahead then you are at the ideal comfort point.
So don't worry about making mistakes because you will AND SHOULD. Really lay into the brakes to get out the nerves. You've got one of the best brake packages available to any sports car drver, do some experitmenting with braking distances. And learn to make quick transitions between throttle and brake. The key to going fast IMHO is always being on the gas or brake, with as little time on the brake as necessary. If you are hesitating between braking and throttle you are driving beyond the speed of your skill, slow down get used to the g loads and everything flashing across your field of vision. You will then heistate less and less.

here's some tips.

1-Don't buy a helmet, the club will have loaners. one you feel like you want to autox more, buy crash hat.

2-lean your head in the direction of the cone you are about to turn, it will train your body to follow what your mind is doing. Do this religiously. So as your head is turning left (if the cone is pointing left of course) you SHOULD NOT be looking at that cone. Though your head is leaning to the left your eyes are looking right at the SECOND CONE. It's like MotoGP, those guys are leaning their bike in one direction but there helmets are turned in the opposite direction looking down the road.

3-Keep your hands at 3 an 9 on the steering wheel like someone glued your gloves to the wheel. Only take your hand off 3 and 9 if you are going through a hairpin and have to turn the wheel too far left or right.

4-let 1st gear max out before shifting to 2nd. Some people dump 1st right away but I think you are leaving some speed on the table when you do that. Once you are into 2nd gear keep your self in control, don't blast the trottle. If you train yourself to understand that you are in a racing car that only has two gears, sometimes you'll avoid the inclination to slam the throttle with the "road/drag racing" expectation that you will be going into third. There is no third.

5- this might be the most critical for a newbie: get there early and memorize the course like a downhill skier who closes his eyes and imagine doing the course in real time. So if it's a 67 second course spend 67 seconds in that virtual reality. I like to sketch the course on paper and mark an x where I plan to brake and number the braking points so that as I'm driving a make a mental note 6 of 10 coming up. The more you think ahead and look ahead the faster you will be. In any form of racing the body reacts instinctively to what the mind has just registered.

6(a)-Generally brake on the straight parts so that you are done braking when the road starts to turn left or right. Once you are at the point in the turn where you can draw a straight line from yourself to the next cone, where you can see straight ahead POUND THE THROTTLE. The more experienced you become the quicker you can identify this point where you floor it: the apex.
b)If there is slalom, brake before you enter the slalom if you are going in too hot, if you are at reassuring speed keep you foot on the throttle at the exact same rpm (listen to the sound, you'll be too busy to ever look at your rev counter) keep the speed consistent until you clear the final slalom cone. if you are braking inside the slalom you went in too fast and are losing time.

p.s.
for the cyclists, your air compressor can do double duty if you screw a schrader valve attachment from Slime onto your presta valves. I keep the attachment on wheels permanently, set the pressure on the compressor and it stops automatically. Then throw the compressor into the trunk for the autocross on Sunday.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 03-11-2007 at 02:29 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 06:20 PM   #15

numbers

do we get numbers at the event?
BobMarley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 06:46 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarley1
do we get numbers at the event?
At the one I go to they give you shoe polish for the windshield and/or painters tape for the body if you don't bring your own numbers. The serious guys usually bring their own magnetic numbers.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 10:10 PM   #17

986girl - Thanks for the vids!!! I'll watch them in the morning since I am tired, but I am genuinely interested in watching them.

Perfectlap - Thanks. The site says the instructors will make sure your hands are at 10 and 2, though, not 9 and 3.

I practice using bends on highways to give me a feel for when to accelerate in the apex. Not sure if it does me any good.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:22 AM   #18

1) Check with the club running the event, some have loaner helmets so you can avoid the $300+ for buying a new one, right away

2) Tire pressures.. Take your stock pressures and add, at least 2 lbs front/rear.

3) Register early and walk the course as many times as you can. You want to be able to see the course in your mind. You won't have time to stop and ask directions.

4) Many clubs use one color cones. It will look like a sea of cones, unless you walk the course.

5) While hard to do the first time out, try to walk with others who have autocrossed before. While you practice memorizing it, listen to things they say like "off camber" or reducing radiius or decreasing slalom, or on camber.

6) You will likely only need 1st and 2nd gears

7) Some clubs have a rookie walk - here an experienced axer will take the group of first timers for a walk of the course, explains elements and answeres questions

8) Some clubs will supply instructors. To me, for a first timer, I wouldn't ask for one uinless you get called in as going off course. If you can remember the course, saty on course and post a time, your are doing great. The speed will come with more experience and exposure to the sport.

Some things to bring with you to the event

1) No more than 1/2 tank of gas. Extra gas = extra weight

2) A small cooler with a sandwich/drinks (non-alcoholic). why? 1) you may or may not have a nearby fast food place at the event and 2) even if you do, you may not have time to go and come back without missing a run or work assignment

3) Painters tape / shoe polish. These are great to make car numbers out of. You will likely need numbers on both sides of your car. In addition, the shoe polish can be used to "mark" the edges of your tires. When placed along the tire shoulder, you can determine if the sidewalls are wearing down too much. If too far, add some air. If not, then you could be good to go!

4) Air - I would only pursue this when you become "hooked".. Others will have air that, if your polite, they will share . Somefolks have small cigarette outlet powered units (I got one at sears for around $20. Others will have small air tanks.

4b) Air guage. Even if you don't have a way of putting in air, it will allow you to check pressures

5) Wallet - to pay for the event registration. you may also need to show a PCA member card (assuming a PCA event)

6) Clothing! Most events are help in wide open parking lots. If Metro NY PCA, hen perhaps Nassau Collusiem or Tobay Beach. Both places can be windy and cold, even if the "air temp" is 60+. THere will be no shelters or tents to hide in. You will be outside the whole day. It's better to take too much than wish you had more

There are TONS of things you could bring. Keep it simple. Have fun. Tell us how you liked it!
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)

Last edited by racer_d; 03-12-2007 at 07:25 AM.
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 07:37 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian Motorist
986girl - Thanks for the vids!!! I'll watch them in the morning since I am tired, but I am genuinely interested in watching them.

Perfectlap - Thanks. The site says the instructors will make sure your hands are at 10 and 2, though, not 9 and 3.

I practice using bends on highways to give me a feel for when to accelerate in the apex. Not sure if it does me any good.
10 and 2 or 9 and 3. I don't know about the 987 but the 986 three spoke has a perfect notch for your thumbs at 9 and 3. I guess the point is not to shuffle the steering wheel by keeping your hands planted as much as possible.

I myself asked for instructors allot, but I tried to seek out the instructors who seem to be faster drivers than most. I guess you won't know that right away but once you do get a sense of who is quick and who has just been doing it a long time (not always the same) ask them to drive your car one time while you sit in as the passenger. You will see and feel what its like to put down a fast lap with few errors. The first time out I did this with one of the quicker guys and I was blown away at how much more effort he was putting into it and how abrupt everthing was, makes driving a road course look easy in comparison. Obviously you won't be doing any of that instructor level driving for a while but you'll have a good mental reference of where you are and where you will be one day. The thing that stuck in my mind was how confident the experienced driver was with the brakes. If you spin the car get on dem brakes hard and push down the clutch at the same time. Both feet in is cardinal rule when you lose control. I like doing one lap on my own and one lap with instructor, it's easy to get used to making mistakes that become bad habits.

There is no practicing of what you will do on an Autocross on the real world streets. Its night and day. Come back to this thread after the autocross(s) and the points people are making will make sense with more time in the cockpit.

Go to home depot and buy a small roll of blue painter's tape for your numbers. Don't put shoe polish on your paint or windows if you can avoid it. That's stuff is terrible for your paint. I made my own numbers at Kinkos on a big printer and they laminated it for me. I glued these magnetic business card squares from Office depot to the back of the numbers. Whole thing cost $10. But I still use the blue painters tape between the magnetic and the bare paint.

p.s.
bring sun block and a yankee cap. I also like to use batting gloves when I drive, keeps the sweat off the wheel.

p.s.s.
try to avoid using your real last name on the results sheet when you sign up if they will allow it. I would go buy Rickky Bobby or something...I'm not sure but if the club posts the lap times on their website a quick google search will pull up your name. At your age you don't need your insurance company looking to screw you into higher rates. I would use that painters tape to cover up your license plates.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 03-12-2007 at 07:52 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 11:25 AM   #20

Bavarian Motorist,

Good luck ! I did my first autocross with Sammy last year and I had a blast...

It really helps to have someone drive along with you and navigate, it is easy to get lost in the sea of cones

And also, don't forget to bring a camera so you can post some pics !

Have fun...

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote