Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2007, 12:28 AM   #1

thoughts on Spoiler

I like this spoiler a lot, ebay item number is 120094320296, but have a few concerns. It "looks" very close to the Cayman spoiler, however does it function like one? Is the aero good as the factory spoiler. I have an 02 Box S.

Anyone have this one, or similar?

Aero experts?

demonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 05:30 AM   #2

Smile

You will need to post a link to get a response.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 05:34 AM   #3

I think he was talking about this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Boxster-Turbo-Style-rear-Wing-Spoiler-PAINTED-Bolt-On_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33638QQihZ002QQitemZ 120093590678
Old 03-06-2007, 05:40 AM   #4

I have that spoiler on my car and I'm very happy with the look. Be careful who you buy from. There are a couple of members here who bought the same spoiler but the quality wasn't very good. Their spoilers have already begun to crack at the base attachment points. Mine came from Performance Products and I've had no problem with it.

...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 06:25 AM   #5

Yep, he is right. That is where I bought mine from. And mine cracked after a few months. They told me that there was a bad batch that went out and that the problem has now been fixed. You can take you chances, BUT BEWARE! I BELIEVE THIS SPOILER WAS THE CAUSE OF MY ACCIDENT LAST YEAR. I was driving in the rain and sped up to change lanes, granted I should not have been going over 75, but when the spoiler came up, it did not create enough down force to keep my rear tires on the ground, giving me good tracktion. My car began to fishtail and hydroplane all over the road. I did a complete 360 and my front bumper hit the gaurd rail before I finally stopped. It could have been worst. I still think that if I had the factory O.E.M. spoiler on it would have prevented me from hydroplaning out of control. My tires were brand new, so it deffinately was not the problem. The spoiler did NOT begin to crack until months later after the accident. The spoiler's poor design was the reason the fiberglass cracked. Hope this helps.

Last edited by porsche986spyder; 03-06-2007 at 06:30 AM.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 06:32 AM   #6

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Are you sure you didnt say "I NEED NOS!" then shift into R for RACE and floor it?

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 06:50 AM   #7

Hi,

Well, technically, it's a Wing not a Spoiler. It uses a different priciple to deal with Lift. A Wing counteracts Lift, while a Spoiler prevents it.

As such, it will be different. How different? Better? Worse? I can't say, but we have at least one opinion that it provides less effect which makes some sense as a Wing is dependent on surface area, airfoil shape and angle of attack, and just from observation, it looks a little small to provide a large counteracting force. But, you'd need to do some measurements to be sure. They're calling it a Wing Spoiler, which again is technically incorrect, no such animal...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 07:01 AM   #8

Jim is right. I still wouldnt expect my stock spoiler to protect me from hydro plaining in the rain ever. I consider the stock spoiler more of a "looks" peice on the car more than an actual functional peice even while it does help in the slightest bit.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
Old 03-06-2007, 07:55 AM   #9
boggtown

I call 300 pounds of downforce more than "helping a little". For all we know, that extra John Goodman on his rear trunk could have kept his tires on the ground better, maybe not. The only way to find out is take it to a wind tunnel and see.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggtown
I call 300 pounds of downforce more than "helping a little". For all we know, that extra John Goodman on his rear trunk could have kept his tires on the ground better, maybe not. The only way to find out is take it to a wind tunnel and see.
Speculation, Im just saying... Why bet all your chips on a spoiler. Not all of us can drive a car like the Stig....

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
Old 03-06-2007, 08:17 AM   #11

I bought one from the seller in the eBay link and I am having it painted along with my rear bumper diffusers, GT3 bumper and side skirts next week. I'd be interested in knowing if those who have had problems with theirs if they purchased their "wing" from this seller or if it was purchased from someone else. The quality of the wing that I received appears to be good. No waves or warpage noted.

I really like the look over the Aerokit spoiler, as it gives the look I want without overwhelming the rear of the car.
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 08:31 AM   #12

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
I thought about getting that wing but decided against it. I have a lot of faith in the Germans that designed and engineered the Boxster, and if they designed the stock spoiler to be a certain way then I'm going to trust they knew what they were doing. (MNBoxster, notice how I used "wing" and "spoiler" properly? ). Besides, the stock piece looks pretty cool IMHO.

300lbs of downforce? I didn't know it was that much. Way cool.

A friend of mine suggested that the spoiler only gives 20lbs, where he came up with that figure I have no idea.

It's not about the summit, it's about the climb.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/chills1138/2.jpg
Chills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 08:47 AM   #13

BTW John Goodman weighs more than 300lbs. unless hes weighed underwater

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
Old 03-06-2007, 09:12 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper
I bought one from the seller in the eBay link and I am having it painted along with my rear bumper diffusers, GT3 bumper and side skirts next week. I'd be interested in knowing if those who have had problems with theirs if they purchased their "wing" from this seller or if it was purchased from someone else. The quality of the wing that I received appears to be good. No waves or warpage noted.

I really like the look over the Aerokit spoiler, as it gives the look I want without overwhelming the rear of the car.

It's more of a poor desing where the wing actually mounts to the factory poles that rise up and down. Not so much quality in the overall craftsmanship. You will see what I'm talking about when you mount it. It comes with NO washers to go between the surface and the metal holes that the screws go into. BAD DESIGN. Over time enough vibration will crack the fiberglass. I fixed mine and added 2 rubber washers as shock absorbers and 2 months later it started up again. I have some pictures of it where it cracked. I will post them so everyone can see.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:15 AM   #15

I'd like to see the pictures.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
Old 03-06-2007, 09:48 AM   #16

Here's my feedback on the wing. Looks great, breaks easily. I put mine on at Christmas time, and just last week I was going down the freeway and the wing flew right off my car. That was money poorly spent. I was doing about 60 getting off the freeway when I kit a bump. I looked in my mirror and saw the thing get airborne. Luckily it didn't hit any other car. That would have been a disaster.

Now I'm looking for the aerokit I rear wing.

-David

2001 Boxster S (sold)
19" SSR GT3 - Cross coilovers - Custom Magnaflow exhaust - B&M Short Shifter - EVO intake - GT3 Seats - Hardtop

http://www.emeraldcitycustoms.com/images/box2.jpg

1986 Carrera (sold)
David_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 09:53 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
I'd like to see the pictures.
Here it is on my car before my accident. I will take some pictures tonight and post them tomorrow to show where it exactly cracked.

Old 03-06-2007, 09:58 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_J
Here's my feedback on the wing. Looks great, breaks easily. I put mine on at Christmas time, and just last week I was going down the freeway and the wing flew right off my car. That was money poorly spent. I was doing about 60 getting off the freeway when I kit a bump. I looked in my mirror and saw the thing get airborne. Luckily it didn't hit any other car. That would have been a disaster.

Now I'm looking for the aerokit I rear wing.

-David
Sorry to hear that. Gamballa has the right idea in their design. It completely covers and goes down on top of the metal rods before bolting on. Instead of just sitting on top of at the very top. Here is an image.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:00 AM   #19

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
Now I really like Gemballa's spoiler. I don't like the way you can see the rubber around the lip of the trunk with the eBay wing.

It's not about the summit, it's about the climb.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/chills1138/2.jpg
Chills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 10:10 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chills
Now I really like Gemballa's spoiler. I don't like the way you can see the rubber around the lip of the trunk with the eBay wing.
Yes, I agree. But keep in mind, you will never see that stuff while driving IN the car and it goes up. Now if you are showing someone, like at a car show. Yes it may look ugly while it's up. I just replaced the stock one and put the fixed spoiler on the trunk. I'm happy with the way it looks. You can add an over-ride switch to keep the spoiler down if you like. Here is an image of my new spoiler. It's also on the new 07 boxster Porsche web site. Click on the Techquipment and they have one on a blue boxster.
http://www.boxsey.com/spoiler_switch/index.htm

Last edited by porsche986spyder; 03-06-2007 at 10:17 AM.