Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2007, 03:24 PM   #1

Wink Headlight Amber Experiment

Boxteroids, I have installed the '03 clear halogens in my '02 Boxcar. They are much better than the stock amber. It does still 'bleed' a little amber, especially if you look at the lights head on from a crouching position. I am not up for removing the three sided amber internal lens with a soldering iron as I have a history of disaster when attempting such efforts. I am going to install the Silver/blink amber bulbs in place of the totally transparent clear ones. I believe this will cancel out a little more of the amber and make it more subtle. I will post pics of the results of this attempt. I just ordered them tonight and should have them within a week or less.

986geezer

Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 03:44 PM   #2
boggtown

??? Are you suggesting that the clear glass is amplifying the orange of the plastic box? I can already tell you it wont have an effect. I would think its like putting a mirror behind orange cellophane... instead of nothing.... Still
Old 03-05-2007, 05:08 PM   #3

Hey Geezer - where did you end up getting your 03 lamps from?
Old 03-05-2007, 06:17 PM   #4

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggtown
??? Are you suggesting that the clear glass is amplifying the orange of the plastic box? I can already tell you it wont have an effect. I would think its like putting a mirror behind orange cellophane... instead of nothing.... Still
No, not amplifying it but letting it show through since the amber is a three sided reflector. The clear bulb will let the amber through whereas the silver coated will not and will show silver to the front. The bulb is mounted in front of the amber reflector and not behind it like in the '02 and earlier lights. I don't expect a dramatic change but a subtle one and will find out the truth when I install them. Just an idea I had that I want to try out. Since the amber will be partially blocked by the silver bulb, it may cut down on it. Probably silly but what the hey, if it works it works. Only an idea.

986geezer
Old 03-05-2007, 06:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5150
Hey Geezer - where did you end up getting your 03 lamps from?
C5150, I bought mine from Smithmotorworks on ebay. Pelican and Sunset also have them on ebay from time to time.

986geezer
Old 03-05-2007, 08:39 PM   #6

boggtown is right.
Replacing it with silver bulb has no effect unless you remove the amber.

Just remove them. It's easier than you think.
You will be surprised how big is the ugly piece is.
jinijazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 08:44 PM   #7

Brave!

Hi there,
from that picture, it looks like you put the headlight fixture on your sofa to take the picture. How did you get away with that. Hope your wife doesn't catch you!
aglsteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 04:42 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinijazz
boggtown is right.
Replacing it with silver bulb has no effect unless you remove the amber.

Just remove them. It's easier than you think.
You will be surprised how big is the ugly piece is.
If I knew somebody close by that could guide me through the soldering iron removal method, I might give it a try. Since I am not near anybody that has done this I am reluctant to mess up such an expensive light. Also if I keep it stock it is much easier to sell at some future date. I am keeping my original H.Lights along with my tailights etc. and will return the car to as close to bone stock as possible if I ever want to sell it. I will then ebay the upgrade lights. I am sure the effect of the silver bulb will be minimal but I will send a pic if it makes any difference at all. Thanks, however, for the encouragement to remove the amber reflector.

986geezer
Old 03-06-2007, 06:58 AM   #9

http://hverheyen.vssi-eda.com/box_pics/lights/index.html

This link will show you a hack to do what you asked. Also i sent you a private message about you amber corners from the old headlights. I am wondering if you would want to sell them. If so give me a price.
clb0099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 07:12 AM   #10

If you fear the soldering gun (not the easiest task admittedly) try covering the orange with some sort of reflective tape from Pepboys. I think they sell the stuff in red and amber to cover up broken tail lights. Maybe they sell it in silver.

If you do go the soldering gun route I woud suggest cutting or using a short metal tube to collar the soldering gun so that you don't inadvertently touch the plastic housing for the light bulb. I used the aluminum foil to coer up the plastic but still burned.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 07:15 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb0099
http://hverheyen.vssi-eda.com/box_pics/lights/index.html

This link will show you a hack to do what you asked. Also i sent you a private message about you amber corners from the old headlights. I am wondering if you would want to sell them. If so give me a price.

Thanks, as far as the amber corners, I stated that I want to keep the amber headlight including corners intact for future sale of car as I want to revert it to bone stock or as close as possible. I appreciate your response.