Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2007, 04:57 AM   #1

Minimum Rear Tire Lifetime?

I was pretty impressed by how quickly I went through a rear set of Falken all-season tires recently. I am looking at my sweet new set of PS2's and wondering how long they are going to last. I am certainlly going to take better care of them than the Falkens. I was wondering how quickly, in miles or time on the vehicle, have some folks in the group eaten up a pair of their rear tires?

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 05:11 AM   #2

Depends on the tire. Soft compound tires can wear out in as little as 10K miles, while the harder compounds can last almost three times longer. If you do track days, I've seen folks cord a set of new tires in a weekend of racing around the track.
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 06:20 AM   #3

Dude! We got our rims and tires at the same time a few months back, right?

My PS2's still look brand new and I've put about 1,500 miles on them. How many miles did you get out of those Falkens?

Of course, I never kick out the back end, never spin the tires, and never really corner that hard.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 06:27 AM   #4

I got 6000 miles out of my last set of rear tires. I purchased both front and rears new and the fronts didn't look worn at all.

-David

2001 Boxster S (sold)
19" SSR GT3 - Cross coilovers - Custom Magnaflow exhaust - B&M Short Shifter - EVO intake - GT3 Seats - Hardtop

http://www.emeraldcitycustoms.com/images/box2.jpg

1986 Carrera (sold)
David_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 06:29 AM   #5

When I bought the car it had P-Zero Rossos on with about 90% of the tread left. I corded them in 2 months, after 8 or 9 autocrosses. Now I have RE050A's as the daily tire, and a set of VictoRacers as my race tires so that I don't do that again, lol.
Autocrosses: 22
Track Days: 1
http://www.crife.net
986 Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 08:14 AM   #6

Since my car is my daily driver, tire life concerns me! Although the car I just traded in only got 10k miles in 14 months... I live close to work, and can keep the mileage down... but heck, the Boxster is so fun to drive!!

I put a set of BF Goodrich GForce Sports on the back. They were the least expensive (same price as the Kumho SPX, I think?), and had a high treadwear rating, so I'm hoping I'll get about two years out of them.

Need to put a pair on the front... the Bridgestone Potenzas on there have some tread, but their traction sucks.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 10:43 AM   #7

"Dude! We got our rims and tires at the same time a few months back, right?

Of course, I never kick out the back end, never spin the tires, and never really corner that hard."

You are right, we both got our tires and rims at the same time and my rear Falken tires are not as smooth as a baby's behind, but almost. I have 4K-5K on the tires, but unlike you, I used the Falkens as an opportunity to explore, lets see...... for lack of a better phrase " the range of possiblilites of our cars"..... The car seems to love it, the tires don't, they are toast. As I said before, I plan on behaving myself more with the far more expensive PS2's,

Ed

:dance: :dance: :dance:

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
Old 03-01-2007, 10:49 AM   #8

A long time ....

if the alignment is right. I bought a pair of wheels with used Michelin PS Rib's on them. No idea about their previous use. Used them myself for 8k. Noticed today they still look like they were new. Why? Because my mechanic noted the wear on my prior set and biased the rear alignment towards longer wear and gave up a little cornering. Plus I don't drive to kick out the rear on every corner.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 11:04 AM   #9

Ed, let's be realistic. You thrashed those Falkans for the last 6,000 miles and now you are instantly going to become a more sedate driver with your new PS2's on the car?

Not gonna happen. You have tasted the blood of high speed, edge-of-the-envelope driving in your Porsche and you have spoiled yourself for life. Your butt dyno is conditioned to the thrill of breaking it loose and you can't go back!!!

Oh sure, you'll think, "I'm gonna take it easy now" and then you'll see a perfect corner or your wife won't be with you to "sound the speed gong" and voila! You're nailing it and kicking out the back end like you stole it.

Denial is such an ugly, hideous thing.

My suggestion? Just start saving an extra $65 a month for rubber and every six months you'll have enough cash to buy some new PS2's for the rear and you can keep driving it like you stole it.

Ed, you deserve it. You work hard, and you need to play hard too. Now get into your boxster and take a good layer of rubber off those new tires this weekend and report back here as to how much fun it was
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 11:10 AM   #10
bmussatti

I have the PS2's in the 265/35/19. When the tire was new they had 10/32's tread depth.

With 7,500 miles, 90% highway driving, I still have between 6/32-7/32's left. The fronts have almost 7.5.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:13 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Ed, let's be realistic. You thrashed those Falkans for the last 6,000 miles and now you are instantly going to become a more sedate driver with your new PS2's on the car?

Not gonna happen. You have tasted the blood of high speed, edge-of-the-envelope driving in your Porsche and you have spoiled yourself for life. Your butt dyno is conditioned to the thrill of breaking it loose and you can't go back!!!

Oh sure, you'll think, "I'm gonna take it easy now" and then you'll see a perfect corner or your wife won't be with you to "sound the speed gong" and voila! You're nailing it and kicking out the back end like you stole it.

Denial is such an ugly, hideous thing.

My suggestion? Just start saving an extra $65 a month for rubber and every six months you'll have enough cash to buy some new PS2's for the rear and you can keep driving it like you stole it.

Ed, you deserve it. You work hard, and you need to play hard too. Now get into your boxster and take a good layer of rubber off those new tires this weekend and report back here as to how much fun it was
God bless you

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 12:47 PM   #12

Things Can Change

"Ed, let's be realistic. You thrashed those Falkans for the last 6,000 miles and now you are instantly going to become a more sedate driver with your new PS2's on the car?

Not gonna happen. You have tasted the blood of high speed, edge-of-the-envelope driving in your Porsche and you have spoiled yourself for life. Your butt dyno is conditioned to the thrill of breaking it loose and you can't go back!!!"

Ahh, yes, good points, but things do sometimes change. For example, I attended an out-of-town workshop last weekend. After the workshop I met a very interesting fellow. We started discussing what my liscense plate means (NAMISTI). He seemed to know it was a Indian greeting that acknowledges the light in all of us.

I thought that was pretty unusual, most folks dont have a clue what the plate means. We had an interesting philosophical discussion about such things...... and then he gave me my speeding ticket. Because the highway patrol officer was such a nice guy he made the ticket out for only 80 in a 65 zone so the charge would not be reckless driving.

So, based on that recent experience, I have a little additional motivation to take a little better care of my tires and such........

Ed

Old 03-01-2007, 03:27 PM   #13
blkboxster

lol this is pretty impresive,my tires are the 1st pairs the cars ever had since it was made in 1999
Old 03-01-2007, 03:42 PM   #14
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkboxster
lol this is pretty impresive,my tires are the 1st pairs the cars ever had since it was made in 1999

Blkboxster, you need new tires, then. They might still have tread, but the rubber must be "hard" and "dried out" by now...some 7+ years later. Just a thought.
Old 03-01-2007, 04:27 PM   #15
blkboxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Blkboxster, you need new tires, then. They might still have tread, but the rubber must be "hard" and "dried out" by now...some 7+ years later. Just a thought.
yeah prob buy some this weekend,and yeah the tires are REALLY hard.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:15 PM   #16

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
7 year old factory tires cant be good.
then again, my mom bought a galant new in 99 and we just got her new tires the other day, it just hi 99k miles. the traction jsut got al ittly weird in rain/snow condition so they got replaced. damn if only box can last that long on set of tires
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 08:17 AM   #17

PS2 update, tires are about a month old, and I have close to 2,500 miles on them.
Looking at the rear tires this morning, I am sorry to say it looks like they know they have resided on my car for those miles. At this rate I will be lucky to get an honest 10K out of them.

Oh well, maybe the next set will last a little longer. I mean, how is a guy going to know how to dial in the optimum tire pressure for a set of tires he has not used before (35/38 lbs seems to be working pretty well). Or how is he going to know how fast he can take sweepers before the tires start to break loose a little without trying, I mean really..... One thing is for sure, these are sure sticky suckers, and I like them, hee, hee, hee.......

Ed

Old 03-20-2007, 10:35 AM   #18

I get 10-11K out of my PS2's(rear). That's is the only tire I will use. I will go through 2 pairs of rears before I have replace the fronts. I do like to PUSH the Box pretty hard though.
EVOMS Intake
Glass rear window
velvet_jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 01:44 PM   #19

Ed,

Thanks for the update. It confirms my decision earlier today to order the BFG G-Force tires. They will cost approx $700 for a set while the PS2s were going to run $1400. If the PS2s only last 10K, I definitely couldn't justify the price difference.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 05:22 PM   #20
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
I just put a set of these on the wife's TT, they seem to be a GREAT tire for $400 a set!!!

I'm going to buy a set for the Boxster for my spare wheels before next winter.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=ECSTA+ASX&index=0&vehicleSearch=true&frontTire=05WR7EASX&rearTire=54WR7EASX&place=0&minSpeedRating=V&speed_rating=V&speed_rating=Z&speed_rating=W&speed_rating=Y&minLoad=S

Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote