Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2007, 07:26 PM   #1

My PCA chapter sucks so....

Anyone in Colorado want to meet for a drive? I am getting spring fever and my chapter has no events listed in March. I plan on going to the Denver Auto Show at the end of March but if weather permits, it would be cool to meet prior to then. I thought if I payed for a PCA membership, I could meet like minded people. No such luck, I got my February newsletter sent to me the 15th so any event I would like to attend typically has already occurred. Sorry, I didn't want to hijack the other Colorado thread.

SigmaPi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 07:41 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
damn dude that sux, im sure glad im in chicago, theres something going on here constantly :dance:

you guys got some nice scenery there, so a drive would be nice w fellow boxster drivers
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 08:40 PM   #3

Newsletters for any PCA region often arrive a little bit late. Some very late. Most regions now have fairly decent websites to convey the latest information or date changes. The lead time for printed materials just seems so "dated" in these days of "instant" information, but that's a fact of life.

Then again, you could take it as a chance to join in the region and help it get better, rather than claiming "it sux" or "is lame"... Last time I checked, ALL PCA regions are run by VOLUNTEERS.. not some paid committee who earn their keep by putting on events simply for your pleasure.
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 10:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Then again, you could take it as a chance to join in the region and help it get better, rather than claiming "it sux" or "is lame"... Last time I checked, ALL PCA regions are run by VOLUNTEERS.. not some paid committee who earn their keep by putting on events simply for your pleasure.
Well, that was a fairly quick slam without bothering to ascertain the nexus of my comment nor which chapter I speak of. Since you have obviously have some strong feelings about this then perhaps I should comment further. I did join the local chapter in Oct. of last year. Since that time, I have been unable to get a regular on-time newsletter via snail mail. As for receiving the newsletter on the local chapter's website, you can take a look for yourself to ascertain the last time it was updated here . It would be great to attend a membership meeting but I can't even find out when that occurs. I need to find out when events occur so I can plan to attend as I am not psychic.

So then, onto the merits and value of a PCA membership. I actually read the mission statement on the national website. I have also read the regional membership chairs guidance. I can tell you those expectations are not being met here in this local chapter. Had I known the local chapter was practically non-existent, I would not have joined. I'm not sure what the standards are for keeping a chapter open but whatever they may be, they are probably not being met here.

As for your assertion that I failed to proffer myself for anything other than an event that "serves my pleasure", I take exception. You should probably hold fast with such comments. You know nothing of me nor anything that I might or might not have volunteered for. So next time you feel the need to try and impugn someones integrity in public, try and get a little more information so you have all the facts first. Besides, you actually might get a chance to meet me in person soon enough as I will be moving to the Potomac chapter's location this summer. If comments like that persist from you, our introduction might prove somewhat awkward.

Cheers
Old 02-28-2007, 02:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_d
I agree. I am the president of a non-Porsche car club here in Tampa and before I became involved I had no idea how much work went into putting on events every month for other people to enjoy. Most people are very appreciative but every once in a while you get someone who generalizes the event (or lack of) with a statement like "this sucks". It's usually someone who rarely participates or helps with the events. My comment to them is usually something along the lines of "if you see something you think needs improvement, get involved and make a difference."

Sigma, please do not take this as an attack on you, on the contrary, I think you are part of the solution by organizing an event on your own. Maybe you can contact your chapter and make it one of their events to generate more interest. No sure about your chapter but the one in Tampa is always receptive to member’s suggestions on events.

I also do not think Racer_d meant his post as a slam on you. I took it to be more of a "get involved" comment. Subtle threats like "If comments like that persist from you, our introduction might prove somewhat awkward" seems uncalled for (IMHO).

00' Boxster S, 00' E46 BMW - DD, 03' LR Disco - Wife's car, '84 300ZX turbo - owned for over 22 years, 82' 911 SC - Gone but not forgotten
Rob-00BoxsterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 04:15 AM   #6

You are very frustrated with the inactivity in your PCA Region since you joined back in October. I can see that you are anxious to get the Boxster out and do some driving and meet other Boxster/Porsche owners who share your interests.

I looked at the Web site for your Region and can see that being in Colorado in the winter is a very slow/dormant time for those members. We have the same thing here in Arizona in the summer and try to get all we can out of the other 3 seasons of the year. I joined in the summer and found the same as you - inactivity. But, you should see the members come out to bloom in April and the summer in your area. At least give the folks a chance to meet you before you move to the Potomac. Talk to the Membership Chairman in your Region and express your concerns. IMHO of course...

Take care and enjoy that Porsche Boxster

Ed
Sboxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 05:11 AM   #7

If you were around here, I'd go for a drive with ya.

Just take comfort in knowing that there ARE in fact many like you who love their cars, love driving them and just want to be around others who share those interests.

I genuinely feel for you, sir
Old 02-28-2007, 06:41 AM   #8

Wink Regional involvement

All, my PCA region is a small one and is experiencing the same lack of non-track events. Fortunately the hard core group of track junkies has held this region together. Being a past president of my region I realize the work that goes into volunteering to organize an event and hope that the weather doesn't rain on your parade day. Now that I am driving a Boxcar, I am getting involved in our region again and am planning some non-track events. We have a few problems we have to sort out to make things work. We have to upgrade our website to include a forum, not unlike this one, that allows members to communicate. We are also going to publish a quarterly news letter via snail mail as we do have folks that are not online but nevertheless pay their dues.

Right now I am planning what we call our "Spring Breakout" where we meet for an afternoon at our favorite private Porsche facility where we will set up for the day, park like models together to facilitate sharing of info. and tall stories, welcome new members and talk P-cars for a few hours. A few various models will be on lifts so members can see what the non-shiny side of the cars look like and ask questions. This is also an informal tech session. chef boyo Florio will have his magic grill up to full speed and refreshments are on the region.

Some of the past events I have planned and have worked out well are: An overnight drive trip up to Cooperstown NY where we visited the Corvette museum when it was still located there. Visits to baseball museum and farm museum were enjoyed as well as dinner and breakfast together. The drive up and back was a hoot for sure.

We also drove and spent a night in New Hope PA where we roamed the galleries, antique shops etc. Again a hoot of a drive.

Some of the future things I am looking into: A visit to Dyson Racing in Poughkeepsie as Rob is now championing ALMS Porsce cars. We visited him in the past and it was a very good time. Possably a visit to Orange County Choppers as I think Paul Jrs. girlfriend drives a Boxster. Those guys are always looking for publicity and soon I expect to see them on cereal boxes. A field trip to Farnbacher Loles facility in Danbury CT. I missed out on the tech. session this weekend and really do want' to visit this facility.

I strongly suggest any of you that want something to happen to get involved and make it happen. I learned that back in High School. Look for interesting things in or near your area and plan something out. Getting together for coffee on Sun. at a neat diner or visiting one of the Hot Rod gatherings that occur in areas is also a nice way to drive and have some fun. Any ideas from some of you guys?

986geezer, planning and trying to communicate....
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 07:08 AM   #9

A bbq is a good idea at a state park. Have all the cars meet there.

I can't think of anything better except actually driving w/ other Porsches.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:48 AM   #10

Sigma,

I'm sorry to hear your local chapter doesn't meet your expectations. Your original short post certainly didn't take the time to fully explain your situation. My comments were only of the "don't complain, get involved" variety which ANYONE who is involved with a volunteer organization would encourage!

Potomac PCA should have something for you. We have a very active region (at least 1 Autocross and 1 track event per month, sometimes 2 during the summer).. an occasional car show or rally. Depending where you settle, there is also Chesapeake region (baltimore/annapolis) based and they run quite a few events as well.

There is also a very active and DIY friendly group in the DC area (not officially related to the PCA chapter, but, lots of cross membership, at www.dorkiphus.com)

-Racer
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 08:07 AM   #11

As a Hurricane Region PCA member I also have reasonable access to the Carolinas Region. But I am central to neither. One local guy started a regular Saturday breakfast get together for us coastal area members. Sometimes a cruise.

There area some insurance issues regarding PCA sanctioning, so some "events" are just casual meetings of friends.

Seems to be very successful and easy to do.

By the way, racer_d is right about Potomac Region. As former member I rate it and San Diego as the best I've been in.
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 08:59 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian Motorist
A bbq is a good idea at a state park. Have all the cars meet there.

I can't think of anything better except actually driving w/ other Porsches.

There you go, an idea. When we get our regional commo problem sorted out and we can plan something, I will run the idea by the board to invite other region members to some of these drive and dine or bbq meets. Insurance can be solved I am sure.

986geezer
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 09:07 AM   #13

It's unfortunate that your local chapter isn't very active. I am a member of the Maverick chapter here in north Texas and they are VERY active. There are always DE's, Track Days, Autocross, Happy Hours, Lunches, Wine Tasting events, Tours and are hoping to have a Concours event soon. They also do charity work for the Hope Shelter for battered women. Our local chapter has a forum that is quite active, although most of the talk is about DE's and track events, they do announce social events well in advance so you can make plans to attend.

Living here in TX means that you can usually enjoy your Porsche year round, so there is always something going on. The local newsletter is first rate and usually shows up around the same time my Panorama arrives.

I've been a member for a couple years and have yet to be an active participant due to work schedule. I hope to attend a few events this year just to meet more members. The online forum has provided me with excellent recommendations for vendors.

I'd give your local chapter another chance once spring arrives. I'll bet it will pick up then.
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 12:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigmaPi
Anyone in Colorado want to meet for a drive? I am getting spring fever and my chapter has no events listed in March. I plan on going to the Denver Auto Show at the end of March but if weather permits, it would be cool to meet prior to then. I thought if I payed for a PCA membership, I could meet like minded people. No such luck, I got my February newsletter sent to me the 15th so any event I would like to attend typically has already occurred. Sorry, I didn't want to hijack the other Colorado thread.
There are two PCA regions in CO, one in Denver and one in Colo. Springs. I don't know which one you belong to, but in any event it's unfortunate that whichever one it is isn't meeting your expectations.
I can't speak to activities in the Colo. Springs region (Alpine Mountain Region), but the Denver club, Rocky Mtn. Region, reduces activities Dec thru Feb, except for a couple of social events and the monthly membership meeting, although they did have an ice autocross in Georgetown in January.
Alpine Mtn is quite a bit smaller than Rocky Mtn (1,200 members) and I don't believe their club schedule is nearly as active, but members are welcome to enter events put on by RMR. In fact, the two regions have a joint "championship" series that includes events hosted by both groups.
Both regions also have web sites which have event schedules on them, if your newsletter is unavailable.
Alpine Mtn - http://alp.pca.org//
Rocky Mtn - http://www.rmrporscheclub.com//

I believe the first "tour" event is scheduled by RMR on 4/14.

If you just hold on for another month, you will have events scheduled by one region or the other practically every weekend until the snow flies again.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 05:41 PM   #15

Sorry all,

Perhaps my first post was to short and flippant. Your right I am a little frustrated, e-mails not returned, etc. My apologies to all and to Racer_d. I am quick to pounce sometimes when called out on certain things.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:29 PM   #16

Hey RacerD,

Your Boxster doesn't happen to be white, does it? I belong to Chesapeake. This summer I went to the challenge at Ripkin Stadium. Some dude from Potomac with a white Boxster was laying everyone to waste! Even though it was a Potomac car, I was proud to see a Boxster putting those 911s and GT3s on their trailers. Was that you?

...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote