Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2007, 12:12 AM   #1
ehD

clutch pedal stuck all the way down...

just had this car for my 99 boxster in 3 days and on the fwy i was pushing down the clutch in 1st gear and the clutch just got stuck in its position all the way down. basically stuck in the fwy in los angeles middle lane blocking tons of cars on the 101 fwy. i could manually pry the clutch pedal up half way but the second it's a little pressed the clutch pedal will sink all the way in automatically. so i had to get aaa flatbed tow truck already and the car is in a parking lot now.

anyone have an idea of what could be wrong with the car? i can still start the engine, and i can switch between gears. so its as if the clutch is always pressed down... but it's not engaging i guess, i can't release it!

help!

ehD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 03:31 AM   #2

Good chance that the line has a hole in it and you lost fluid. I had the same problem when a rock or possibly someone improperly jacked the car up and fractured the clutch line. The line is aluminum with a blue plastic type coating on it. Replaced mine in my garage for $63.00 plus fluid. Its a pretty simple fix in my opinion.

I just read your post again and I may have misunderstood. So you can change gears while its running and if the clutch would release you think the car would move?

Last edited by ohioboxster; 02-23-2007 at 03:33 AM.
ohioboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 05:00 AM   #3

It's usually my GAS pedal that's stuck to the floor.
joshuaalbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 08:32 AM   #4
ehD

sorry but what line has a hole in it? i'm glad to hear its a potential cheap fix... but when i meant that i can shift i meant that i can change gears but the car won't move or anything. it's just as if the clutch was fully pressed all the time. thanks for the fast reply
Old 02-23-2007, 10:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehD
sorry but what line has a hole in it? i'm glad to hear its a potential cheap fix... but when i meant that i can shift i meant that i can change gears but the car won't move or anything. it's just as if the clutch was fully pressed all the time. thanks for the fast reply
Hi,

Your description isn't very thorough. Do you have a leak? Is the underside of your car wet or sprayed with hydraulic fluid? Can you put the car in gear? With the engine On? Off? What's the fluid level in the Hydraulic Fluid Reservoir in the front trunk? At or Below the FULL line? If below, by how much?

Personally, I don't think you have a burst Hydraulic line. From your description so far, I'd say that something mechanical broke in the clutch itself, or you have a failed Master Cylinder.

But, I'm not certain of anything since your description is so lacking. Give us more information please...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 02-23-2007 at 01:18 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 11:11 AM   #6

Had the clutch slave cylinder seize on my Healey 3000 and had the same results...

2000 non-S Guards RED
Mostly stock-so far...
rear speakers
3 spoke
K+N
Red bumperettes
Speedster humps
Planning:
some stinkin' cup holders
rebeltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 01:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltown
Had the clutch slave cylinder seize on my Healey 3000 and had the same results...
Hi,

That's another possibility, but I don't think that would effect the Clutch Pedal, it should still return to it's normal position. You'd most like have either no resistance, or full resistance in the pedal if you pushed it with a bad slave...

Old 02-23-2007, 01:45 PM   #8
ehD

Do you have a leak?
At the time I'm not sure, it was pouring heavy rain. The day after I had it towed there was no sign of leaks.

Is the underside of your car wet or sprayed with hydraulic fluid?
Honestly I don't know what hydraulic fluid is but yes, it was very wet from the rain.

Can you put the car in gear?
Yes I can shift between all the gears.

With the engine On? Off?
Yes and yes.

What's the fluid level in the Hydraulic Fluid Reservoir in the front trunk?
Hrmm I'm not sure I don't have the car with me right now...

At or Below the FULL line? If below, by how much?
Ditto...

Personally, I don't think you have a burst Hydraulic line. From your description so far, I'd say that something mechanical broke in the clutch itself, or you have a failed Master Cylinder. But, I'm not certain of anything since your description is so lacking. Give us more information please...
The clutch seems fine.. it seems like its the pedal? I could be completely wrong... Are these repairs going to cost an arm and a leg? I just got this car 3 days ago and I have a feeling I'll be in a world of pain in terms of repair costs soon =(
Old 02-23-2007, 02:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehD
Do you have a leak?
At the time I'm not sure, it was pouring heavy rain. The day after I had it towed there was no sign of leaks.

Is the underside of your car wet or sprayed with hydraulic fluid?
Honestly I don't know what hydraulic fluid is but yes, it was very wet from the rain.

Can you put the car in gear?
Yes I can shift between all the gears.

With the engine On? Off?
Yes and yes.

What's the fluid level in the Hydraulic Fluid Reservoir in the front trunk?
Hrmm I'm not sure I don't have the car with me right now...

At or Below the FULL line? If below, by how much?
Ditto...

Personally, I don't think you have a burst Hydraulic line. From your description so far, I'd say that something mechanical broke in the clutch itself, or you have a failed Master Cylinder. But, I'm not certain of anything since your description is so lacking. Give us more information please...
The clutch seems fine.. it seems like its the pedal? I could be completely wrong... Are these repairs going to cost an arm and a leg? I just got this car 3 days ago and I have a feeling I'll be in a world of pain in terms of repair costs soon =(
Hi,

OK - better description, thank you. I think I'd be inclined to bet on the Master Cylinder. Relax, the pain isn't so great, especially if you can do the work yourself - are you a DIYer? You can save a bundle if you are.

The Master Cylinder is made by Lucas I believe (the Brake MC is) and so a generic part may be available. The Porsche PN# is 996.423.171.05 and it runs $50 or so. But, first, you need to confirm this by checking the hydraulic fluid level (the Brake MC and Clutch MC share the same fluid reservoir).

If it turns out not be be the MC, then I'd suspect the actuating arm which transmits the force of the Slave cylinder to the Pressure Plate by acting on the Release Bearing. In Porsche Speek, this is called the Clutch Operating Lever - PN# 012.141.71.B. This part lives in the Bellhousing and if replacing it, I'd consider just doing a new clutch at the same time to ammortize the Labor costs. But, I doubt this is the culprit, because the Clutch Pedal would operate normally, but with no effect.

I'm still betting on the MC. Is there a possibility that the Dealer or Seller would lend some assistance with it since you've had the car such a few days? Do you have recourse against them under Lemon Law or other Consumer protections? I'd look into this before too much time goes by...

Old 02-23-2007, 02:41 PM   #10
ehD

Well I got it towed to a shop. The guy who sold me the car actually picked me up after the car was towed and we really haven't discussed who's responsible for anything in particular. I bought it directly from him through craigslist and just waiting for an estimate. He mentioned he had some credit at this shop, so we'll see how everything goes. I would someday like to be a DIYer but really don't know much about cars.

If it is indeed the master cylinder though, what could cause this to break in the first place? I'm not really sure if the blame is really on my side or his side or 50/50.

The thing is I've paid off his loan to the bank for the car and am still waiting for the pink slip which is being sent to me. We've already completed a bill of sale so that I can transfer ownership without his signature.

I really appreciate all this insight and will let you know the results. I'm really excited about being a boxster owner but I feel like I really need to brush up on all of its parts and how to troubleshoot things. Is there a good place to start to understand how the car works? To be honest this is my first MT car and I had just learned a week ago and I can drive it well enough but don't really understand all the mechanics behind it.

Thanks so much for all the boxster wisdom!
Old 02-23-2007, 03:03 PM   #11

Be prepared...
I had the same thing happen to mine... turned out it was the line from the Master cylinder to the Slave cylinder. Parts and labor with bleeding the system and new fluid was almost 800.00 at my local dealer.

Dont let them talk you into replacing the brass fittings at the ends of the line if this is indeed what it is. You dont need them and they are over 100.00 each.

Best of luck!
AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 06:37 PM   #12

The master cylinder failing is a pretty unpredictable problem if that's what it is. What usually happens is one of the internal 'O' rings starts leaking so fluid pushes past the rings and drops the pressure until there is not enough pressure to push the pedal back against the helper spring. Since it's internal, there's no easy way to tell it's going to happen.

If it is the master cylinder, I'd ask him to take care of it and if he offered to split it that would be acceptable.

Good luck!
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 11:25 AM   #13
ehD

Okay the shop says its the slave cylinder and that it was leaking. And that the pressure plate probably needs to be changed and that I might as well get a new clutch too. Jim you seem to be right on the dot...

Is it normal for a shop to order the slave cylinder before contacting you? I stopped by the shop and was told that they had already ordered the slave cylinder before I even knew I needed one and that it would be needed to test for further problems, like the potential pressure plate issue. They did tell me they'd call me once they had the part.

$180 for the cylinder, $200 for the labor for the slave cylinder alone. Does this sound reasonable? I had another car shop check the cost of the slave cylinder and it was only $90. I'm just kind of shocked after hearing Jim's $60 master cylinder cost and just imagined a 'master' cylinder costing more than a 'slave' cylinder.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:39 PM   #14
ehD

update:

so i got a new slave cylinder and the car worked fine for another 2 days and again the clutch pedal stuck to the floor.

now i'm not sure what to do, and not sure what the standard of service is. will i have to pay for the towing again (last time it was $175 for 25 miles!) or should the shop take care of it? supposedly the repair is under warranty for 6 months i think but if its the same problem and a different part what does that mean. does it mean their recommendation of a new slave cylinder is wrong?

i don't know how to go about this and unsure whether i should be responsible for them putting in a wrong part. also they said it could be the transmission if the slave cylinder didn't fix the problem. i'm really confused, and this shop seems to have been recommended by several people.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:04 PM   #15

Hi,

It's not uncommon for the other cylinder (either the Slave or the Master) to fail shortly after the other has been replaced, I mean they have both operated the same number of cycles. For this reason, I usually replace them both at the same time. If not, the improved pressure from the new one can often place greater stress on the other causing it to fail. I strongly suspect this is what you have happening.

The Dealership may make some contribution, but they're really not obligated to. Still, it won't hurt to ask. Good Luck!...

Last edited by MNBoxster; 03-02-2007 at 07:59 AM.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:08 PM   #16
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Agreed 931, 924S, 944, 951, and 968 owners are very familar with this problem.

BTW there's a spring on the clutch pedal that activates once the pedal is pushed part way down to reduce the force needed to push in the pedal. That's why it goes to the floor when there is air in the system.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 12:51 AM   #17
ehD

the hose that passes the clutch fluid broke.. its a coiled metal hose.. $256. supposedly caused by broken engine mount, $430. Sigh... will the pain stop? I've only had this car for 8 days and already 5 of them have been in the shop on 2 occasions. hopefully things get better... :ah:
Old 03-03-2007, 06:45 AM   #18

Smile

Did you get a PPI?

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 04:05 PM   #19
ehD

unfortunately i didn't...

now after they fixed the hose and the engine mount and test drove it the slave cylinder broke again. they cited that the clutch was burned out and is causing everything to break, costing 1800 to repair...

now seriously... can a bad clutch do this. i'm gonna go get a second opinion cause this is ridiculous imo...
Old 03-05-2007, 05:33 PM   #20

I wouldn't really think a worn out clutch could cause either the slave or master cylinder to fail...

Unless it's affecting the reset of the pedal... letting the piston return too far... although I think in that direction the cylinder would be OK.

I'm at a loss... I don't know what would cause it to blow a brand new slave cylinder... but if the clutch is gone... you're gonna need a new one. Saw the part for around $400 something... can't cost too much to have installed. Make them show you the old clutch, tho.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote