Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2007, 11:21 AM   #1

does the theory of relativity apply to tires?

it's about 40 outside and well, that's a lot warmer in chicago than it was 2 days ago. it even feels like i can drop the top and go for ride.

do you hold off bringing the car out of the hibernation /storage stage until we crack 50 degrees? i only have summer tires on. what are you guys doing in the northern part of the country?

i mean, it feels warm...the car should know that right?

2kwiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 11:26 AM   #2

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Its usually 48 degrees outside in the early AM near the Los Angeles Harbor/Ports o Call and i drive my car on summer Z rated tires, I just dont drive too fast in the cold weather... except for this really wide turn i make onto Harbor Blvd... usually no cars and i rapidly press and depress the clutch once near the end of the turn to get alittle sideways.... Again, 5:40am no cars, 6 lane road.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 11:43 AM   #3

[QUOTE=2kwiq]it's about 40 outside and well, that's a lot warmer in chicago than it was 2 days ago. it even feels like i can drop the top and go for ride.

Summer tires should be fine as long as it's not below freezing. Give them a little time to warm and don't push too hard. I put my Winter tires on in November and drive the Box all Season. The Boxster is really quite capable in snow as long as it doesn't bottom out. I've had it in the mountains in snow and the snow tires are a huge benefit. They just don't have the grip summer tires offer. I am originally from the Chicago area and those Winters are brutal out there! It's 60 here in Denver today...that weather is moving your way! Enjoy!
Old 02-20-2007, 11:59 AM   #4

I think this brings up a good question. For those who have their cars in hibernation, when do you take them out?

This is my first year storing a car for the winter. It went into hibernation in mid-November and I can't wait to get it out. I was thinking I would probably wait till the beginning of April and hope to see some rain clean the salt of the roads. We are usually good for a couple of March snow storms in Minnesota.

05 Touareg V8
Black
drburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 12:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by drburton
I think this brings up a good question. For those who have their cars in hibernation, when do you take them out?

This is my first year storing a car for the winter. It went into hibernation in mid-November and I can't wait to get it out. I was thinking I would probably wait till the beginning of April and hope to see some rain clean the salt of the roads. We are usually good for a couple of March snow storms in Minnesota.
Hi,

Anything over steady 40° F Temps is OK for the mechanicals. But, since preservation is a large part of why I store my car(s) through the winter, I always wait until the spring rains wash away all the road salt before bringing it out. What's the point in storing it to protect it from salt, if you take it out too early and get the underside all salted up anyway?...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 12:16 PM   #6

I know this will come out wrong but.. Its a car. A depreciating asset. The factory winter tests these cars in the artic circle. They have snow in Germany. People drive porsches to the ski resorts (even those with snow!) ...

If the car has been sitting a while, I would first worry that the battery isn't dead. Depending on how I stored it, I would consider changing the oil first, just as a precaution. On the other hand, since it is a fine engineered car and you've read your owners manual, you likely could just go out, turn the key, let it warm up and go for a drive

If you drive you Boxster on summer tires in colder weather, be prepared for reduced grip levels. So, instead of pulling .9g on the skid pad, it might only pull .8g on the skid pad. Don't hit any ice, don't expect any traction on snow either. Be smart and prudent. Enjoy your car
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 12:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_d
I know this will come out wrong but.. Its a car. A depreciating asset. The factory winter tests these cars in the artic circle. They have snow in Germany. People drive porsches to the ski resorts (even those with snow!) ...

If the car has been sitting a while, I would first worry that the battery isn't dead. Depending on how I stored it, I would consider changing the oil first, just as a precaution. On the other hand, since it is a fine engineered car and you've read your owners manual, you likely could just go out, turn the key, let it warm up and go for a drive

If you drive you Boxster on summer tires in colder weather, be prepared for reduced grip levels. So, instead of pulling .9g on the skid pad, it might only pull .8g on the skid pad. Don't hit any ice, don't expect any traction on snow either. Be smart and prudent. Enjoy your car
Hi,

You're correct to a point. Porsches will run in winter, but will only last about 10-15 yrs. if you do. But, those which are stored will be the ones which appreciate in the future, like cherry examples of Healeys, Jags, and even 356, 912 and 911s.

My car is 8-9 yrs. old. Last year, on a drive, we pulled into a wayside rest to see the view and another guy pulled in with a pristine '64 E-Type. He walked all around my car and asked if it was an '06 or '07? When I replied it was a '99, he was shocked, walked around it some more and said that it looked as if it just came off the Showroom Floor.

That's what makes storage worth it to me, besides, you can't drive with your hair on fire in the winter anyway, you never know the conditions up ahead. Winter driving is not fun, so what does it matter if it's in a sports car or daily driver? My '95 Honda Passport goes well in snow, and while it hasn't corroded yet, it's to the point where I don't really care if it does...

Old 02-20-2007, 01:22 PM   #8

Agreed!!! It is, after all, just a car. Ok.. not JUST a car, but still, its not a Ferrari or Lambo. I don't have any idea how many times I've said that to friends who give me a hard time for driving mine all winter. WHY they ask? Well... its a car! Give it a thorough detailing in the fall, put snows on in November, and you're all ready. With snow tires all around it gets around great. I've never gotten stuck. When it warms up, I wash it and all the salt and grime is gone. I know that sounds like a rather casual attitude about it, and that's not true. I take exceptional care of the car, but am just trying to make a point. Sometime in March I'll put the summer tires back on, detail it and it's ready for summer. And in June, it'll be at the track for the first DE of the year. Can't beat that!!! A year-round car you can track. Pretty impressive if you ask me.

Don't save those miles for the next guy! Drive it.

Sorry Jim.. who says those Porsches that are driven all year round last only 10-15 years??????? Before I got the Box, I had a 79 911 SC targa that was also a year round driver. That's over 26 years!!!! It was in great shape when I sold it, except for a few, very minor, rust spots in the door sills (very common on older 911s and a relatively easy fix). Again.. put winter tires on it, keep it washed and you're fine. If you're talking about amassing miles, that's another matter. Of course driving it year round will accumulate more miles than one that sits all winter. I guess its a matter of who is going to enjoy those miles.. you or the next guy!

You think Boxsters are going to appreciate?? I must disagree. There are WAY too many of them out there, they're NOT some rare exotic like Ferrari's. And except for restored or modded 911's I haven't seen any of them appreciate either. Heck, even the relatively rare GT3's can be bought for substantially less than new. I DID sell mine for only slightly less than it cost new, though.

The Healey's and older Jags you're referring to were produced in FAR fewer numbers than our cars, so there are fewer examples around. (Supply and demand) And the ones that ARE around are usually restored. (I'm sure you can find some unrestored examples around, and they'll be worth more than new, but again.. supply and demand) Of course you can make the argument that the more time passes, the fewer examples of the Box will be around too. But you'll have to wait a LONNNGGGG time for them to get rare. And do you really want to wait the 40 - 50 years to see if the Box really will appreciate? I don't. So it gets driven.

I know quite a few people who store their Porsches for the winter, so, granted, you're certainly not alone. If you're keeping it out of harms way, I can appreciate that. But to do so because you think it will appreciate in value??? I certainly hope you're right!!! With all seriousness.. good luck!

Bob
7/15 mm spacers
Deambered
Desnorked
SS door sills
Debadged
Clear tails
Technobrace
Technobra
I'll never own another black car!
Bob O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 01:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by drburton

I heard that the snow doesn't melt until July 4th in Minnisota.
Cinnimon Brown Interior
[IMG]http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...terPix3001.jpgIMG]
bnorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 01:49 PM   #10
bmussatti

I'll be out of winter storage in March. I'll be top-down on any nice sunny day in March with clear roads and > 43 degrees. Can't wait. Only about 2-3 weeks left.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob O
Agreed!!! It is, after all, just a car. ...

A year-round car you can track. Pretty impressive if you ask me.
Don't save those miles for the next guy! Drive it.
From where I stand, it's exactly because "it's just a car" I don't feel obligated to (nor am I impressed by someone) using it daily. Along the lines of not really being impressed by someone's daily usage of their DVD players or toasters. Appreciation and/or preservation are not the only reasons why people decide not to drive their cars every day or every season. Just my $.02.

Z.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob O
Agreed!!! It is, after all, just a car.... I know quite a few people who store their Porsches for the winter, so, granted, you're certainly not alone. If you're keeping it out of harms way, I can appreciate that. But to do so because you think it will appreciate in value??? I certainly hope you're right!!! With all seriousness.. good luck!

Bob
Hi,

Bob, appreciate the comments and being that it's all a matter of perspective, you're also correct.

I never said I was going to keep the car 'til it appreciates, and I won't. Probably will trade it on a new convertible hardtop Miata this spring. But, the car is in such good shape, that I will be able to trade for the miata ('07 remaining stock) almost even-up, not too bad for an 8-9 yr. old car. When I had it at the Dealership last fall, that's what we were talking about and they said they'd really go high on trade-in on a car in such good shape.

Also, not everyone in all parts of the country (or even the Midwest for that matter) experience the same kind of winter. Here in Mpls., it's really not a good time to drive. The potholes grow exponentially and both cities use salt like they own stock in Morton's. The potential for wear to the suspension and tires alone make it worth putting the car away, to say nothing of corrosion, impact on the Plastic window, etc. ...

Old 02-20-2007, 04:20 PM   #13

Talking

Why would anyone put salt on their roads?

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 05:42 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbth
Because they're bland!
Hi,

:dance: Beat me to it! Wisconsonites refer to Minnesotans as Flatlanders, and with good reason.

When I want to go thrash a car in the Twisties, I head for the Alphabet Roads in Buffalo County, WI - http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/travel/maps/docs/counties/buffalo.pdf . About 45 min. drive from the Twin Cities, the dramatic topography and elevation changes on the other side of the Mississippi River Valley, as well as much lower traffic density, make it well worth the trip.

Aside from Salt, the roads in MN could use a healthy helping of Tobasco, we really do have boring roads. Fortunately, very good roads are just a ¼ Tank or so away...

Last edited by MNBoxster; 02-20-2007 at 05:47 PM.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:57 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

Bob, appreciate the comments and being that it's all a matter of perspective, you're also correct.

I never said I was going to keep the car 'til it appreciates, and I won't. Probably will trade it on a new convertible hardtop Miata this spring. But, the car is in such good shape, that I will be able to trade for the miata ('07 remaining stock) almost even-up, not too bad for an 8-9 yr. old car. When I had it at the Dealership last fall, that's what we were talking about and they said they'd really go high on trade-in on a car in such good shape.

Also, not everyone in all parts of the country (or even the Midwest for that matter) experience the same kind of winter. Here in Mpls., it's really not a good time to drive. The potholes grow exponentially and both cities use salt like they own stock in Morton's. The potential for wear to the suspension and tires alone make it worth putting the car away, to say nothing of corrosion, impact on the Plastic window, etc. ...

Jim: I absolutely agree, perspective is everything. I misunderstood your comments about appreciation. You, of course, are correct about different parts of the country. We have had an untypical winter here in KC.. very cold and more snow than in quite a few years. I'm sure the Minneapolis winters are significantly worse than ours. And given the conditions of OUR roads, yours must be worse. Salt? Its everywhere here too. They've used up two year's supply, and almost all their reserves, and had done so by early January. A friend with MODOT, a high up muckety muck supervising bridge repairs, road crews and those damm salt trucks, is a fixture at Church these days, praying for warm weather and no late ice storms!

You WOULDN'T trade the Boxster in on a Miata????????? Total sacrelige. You'll be burned at the stake and then made to walk the plank. (this was humorous... relax)

Z: I wasn't trying to impress anyone, and you shouldn't be! I was just stating a fact that I do drive it daily. And, while its a terrific car, well put together (lets not get into THAT discussion), handles better than most other cars on the road, etc etc, it STILL is something that one can drive and enjoy on a daily basis. I don't feel obligated to drive it (and never stated that I did)... I want to. I look forward to driving it. There are probably as many reasons why people don't drive their Porsches as there are reasons that they DO drive them. I was simply addressing Jims statements about his reasons for not driving his. If you don't drive yours, I'm sure you have your reasons, too. I do drive mine, and I love it!! And I drive it for me.. not for you or anyone else. It's the same reason I take it to the track. For me. (One should NOT be allowed to have that much fun in a car.. with one's clothes on)

Bob

7/15 mm spacers
Deambered
Desnorked
SS door sills
Debadged
Clear tails
Technobrace
Technobra
I'll never own another black car!
Bob O is offline   Reply With Quote