Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2007, 05:32 PM   #21

What happened to the days when people would look at the chassis, engine, suspension and drivetrain of a car and appreciate it for what it's really worth?

Looks are so secondary...

Old 02-07-2007, 05:44 PM   #22

@BM,

Amen, could not have said it better...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 08:02 PM   #23

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
i think the problem is that you first see what the car looks like before you see chassis, engine, suspension and drivetrain....

same with girls, you get to see the chasis and suspension later on after the testdrive <---- did i just say that?
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 09:15 PM   #24

I test drove a 02 M roadster and the engine was definately the star of the show. Too bad the rest of the car didn't match the excellence of that engine. The Z4 3.0 on the other hand felt better everywhere, but the engine power was lacking. As far as the Coup goes it looks like a two seat station wagaon

Last edited by Adam; 02-07-2007 at 09:23 PM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 09:25 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian Motorist

Looks are so secondary...
easy to say by a guy who owns a boxster
super66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 09:35 PM   #26

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
a picture was posted of that blue M on bimmerforums, and everyone was freaking out/drooling over that car. i dunno, i personallyl ove the looks of that car, it just looks mean
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 03:56 AM   #27

I have a z3 and a boxster and hands down the Box is by far my favorite!
The Z3 is unbelievable reliable as I've owned two of them and the only problems with it are stupid little things like the door pull coming off now and then or the gas guage bouncing around on occasion. It is a fun car to drive, but no comparison to the Z3.
I test drove the Z4 a number of times. Once all day test drive. The 3.0 S is the way to go if your gonna drive a Z4. The 2.5 is peppy (I guess) but the 3.0 S is easily as fun to drive as the Box. However, I chose the Box, b/c they are about equal in driving experience and the porsche is just simply better looking...bottom line!
pompous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 05:50 AM   #28

Smile

From an original price perspective, it is probably not fair to compare a Boxster to a base Z3 or a Honda 2000 for that matter.

If you are going on price, I think an M Roadster is a better comparo to a used Boxster.

Having said that, they are simply very different cars.

I like them both for different reasons.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 09:03 AM   #29

Arrow

Had a Z4 2.5 (YES AUTOMATIC ) for 3 years before I got the 986S.

Great car, the run flat tires simply just SUCK so avoid them at all costs if you decide to go with the BMW.

Driving wise, forget it the Boxster (especially the S) hands-down impresses the most.

The Z4 for me is a great looker, good performer and overall a good "cruise-in-style" vehicle compared to the classic looks and track-racing-inspired Boxster.

I am only 22 and I will tell you first hand that the BMW Z4 is the hottest car-toy to have now if that's what you are looking for. Top the free service with that and you got yourself a nice deal!

In fact, after my BoxsterS I am definitely leaning towards an MCoupe.
aBsOlUt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 10:19 PM   #30

The new M-Coupe is hot! But yeah, my condolences on the looks of the old M-coupe, even tho it does seem to perform well and it is marginally practical.

I almost got a 2001 M-coupe just because it was cheap enough and had the good engine. But to add insult to injury, it was the old M-coupe in...vomit yellow. It was -really- cheap, but yeah, nothing worse than a clown shoe...except a clown shoe that's been thrown up on!

-David
http://www.darkoven.com/sig.jpg
David N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 10:28 PM   #31
boggtown

In the mall I work in we got a red M coupe in. I walk by it all the time to look in it. Its pretty cool, but the kicker is its stickered at 55 grand. Not cheap by any means, but a hell of bargain compared to a lot of things.
Old 02-18-2007, 04:32 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggtown
In the mall I work in we got a red M coupe in. I walk by it all the time to look in it. Its pretty cool, but the kicker is its stickered at 55 grand. Not cheap by any means, but a hell of bargain compared to a lot of things.

The styling grows on you, doesn't it?
Old 02-18-2007, 06:04 AM   #33

I had a Z4 for two years (2005 model). Great car. Just traded it in last December and was planning to buy another Z4 (2007). A rude BMW salesman steered me toward a Boxster, instead.

The Z4 is quick, nimble, and responsive. It has a spartan interior (which I like) and it gives you that sporty feel. Has a lot of room to stretch your legs and I found the Z4 to be the least cramped roadster I tested. Reliability is outstanding; no problems, rattles, or sqeaks. BMW free maintenance plan and warranty is super. More than likely, I'll pick up another Z4 in a couple of years (at least by 2010, from what I hear, the model will change).

Soetekouw is offline   Reply With Quote