Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2007, 11:51 AM   #1

battery is dead...how do I jump start it?

This morning (it was 9 degrees out) my BMW locking system would not work, the manual lacking system would not move. This is actually quite commical as I had to go in through the trunk (which was the only part that open as it works on a different fuse, BTW my backseat LUCKYLY folds!) and even once in it would not open...I took it to the dealer today (and went out through the trunk!!!) but that's another glamourous story!

Anyway, when it was not working, I went to my Boxster, would not start...The battery is dead as I haven't used it much lately. The problem is that the car is parked in a one car garage, hood up and I have no idea how to jump start it (I am at work (BMW gave me a cute SUV with 89 miles on it!!) and haven't looked at it much but isn't it under the front hood? I do have a jump starting kit via the cigar lighter but it is too short and so will most of the ropes...

Any ideas (I guess I could push it out the garage and work on it from there) I guess it might be time to get a new battery anyway. Any tips for a good deal?

Thanks! Vanessa

99 silver BMW 323i
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m...rscheseule.jpg
vouvoune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 11:58 AM   #2
bmussatti

Do you have a battery maintainer? I wonder if this will charge a dead battery? Could take a few days to charge-up, though.

Does your owners manual give directions on how to jump-start the car?
Old 02-05-2007, 11:59 AM   #3

You're in look that the trunk is open, otherwise you'd have to jump at the fuse panel to get the hood up. The battery is under a plastic cover at the back of the front trunk. Unless you have very long jumper cables, reckon you'll need to push it out of the garage. Alternatively, some of the auto parts places have these slick little self contained air compressor/jumper units that you could just carry to the front of the garage.
dmcutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 12:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vouvoune
This morning (it was 9 degrees out) my BMW locking system would not work, the manual lacking system would not move. This is actually quite commical as I had to go in through the trunk (which was the only part that open as it works on a different fuse, BTW my backseat LUCKYLY folds!) and even once in it would not open...I took it to the dealer today (and went out through the trunk!!!) but that's another glamourous story!

Anyway, when it was not working, I went to my Boxster, would not start...The battery is dead as I haven't used it much lately. The problem is that the car is parked in a one car garage, hood up and I have no idea how to jump start it (I am at work (BMW gave me a cute SUV with 89 miles on it!!) and haven't looked at it much but isn't it under the front hood? I do have a jump starting kit via the cigar lighter but it is too short and so will most of the ropes...

Any ideas (I guess I could push it out the garage and work on it from there) I guess it might be time to get a new battery anyway. Any tips for a good deal?

Thanks! Vanessa
Best battery by far, is the OPTIMA Yellow Top. I should know because I work for Interstate Batteries. Our batteries are made by Johnson Controls, who not only makes our Interstate Brand but also the Optima battery line. Red tops are also good, but the Yellow Top battery would be best because of it's high reserve capacity. It is GREAT for our Boxsters because we use our convertible tops so much. That takes allot of power. Red Tops are more for performance Porsches that have turbos or aftermarket superchargers. By the way, they are NOT cheap batteries, but best bang for the buck! Will outlast any other battery out there. Plus they are maintenance free, and completely sealed! Hope this helps if you plan on getting a new battery.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 12:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche986spyder
Best battery by far, is the OPTIMA Yellow Top. I should know because I work for Interstate Batteries. Our batteries are made by Johnson Controls, who not only makes our Interstate Brand but also the Optima battery line. Red tops are also good, but the Yellow Top battery would be best because of it's high reserve capacity. It is GREAT for our Boxsters because we use our convertible tops so much. That takes allot of power. Red Tops are more for performance Porsches that have turbos or aftermarket superchargers. By the way, they are NOT cheap batteries, but best bang for the buck! Will outlast any other battery out there. Plus they are maintenance free, and completely sealed! Hope this helps if you plan on getting a new battery.
Hi,

+1 on the Optima. GMT (Glass Mat Technology) Batteries like the Optima are way ahead of traditional Wet Cell Battery technology. Generally 3 times the lifespan for only twice the price of a traditional battery...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 01:13 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Don't Boxsters need more then just the Optima battery in them,some sort of special tray for it to sit on?
Old 02-05-2007, 01:32 PM   #7

vouvoune,

The cold killed both (Boxster and Firebird) of my cars' batteries too! If you really want to charge the battery that is in there, you could just remove it from the car and charge it where ever you like. I just bought a new one as I tried charging mine a few times and it just wouldn’t take. It’s been downright cold here for a while now. Today's high was like 13. I think tomorrow we might actually hit 32. First time in a long time.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
Don't Boxsters need more then just the Optima battery in them,some sort of special tray for it to sit on?
I have one(Yelow Top) in my Boxster and did not need the extra tray to go underneath it. But if you did, it should come with the battery when you make the purchase. You just have to ask for it. We call it an adaptor tray here at work. It should be FREE with the battery purchase. If anyone charges you for it, they are ripping you off.
Old 02-05-2007, 02:23 PM   #9
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
7 year warranty, has provision for the vent hose, exact fit. Your car needs nothing better than this one!! $70.

BTW I do have this one in mine.

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?UseCase=C001&UserAction=performSearch&Parameters=Auto+Store%7C%7EREGULAR+PARTS+LOOK+UP%7 C%7EBattery
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 03:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
7 year warranty, has provision for the vent hose, exact fit. Your car needs nothing better than this one!! $70.

BTW I do have this one in mine.

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?UseCase=C001&UserAction=performSearch&Parameters=Auto+Store%7C%7EREGULAR+PARTS+LOOK+UP%7 C%7EBattery
Yellow top OPTIMA stil has MORE POWER AND RESERVE CAPACITY. But you get what you pay for.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:31 PM   #11

+2 on the Yellow Top. I had a Yukon with the touchscreen Nav, DVD, PS2, Four Monitors, Two JL Amps. My battery was always low and dead. Switched to the yellow top and never had any issues.

Mine sat like your Boxster, it would still be dead in the winter if I did not crank it for two or three weeks. After about 15 minutes on a trickle charger and it was cranking the Yukon.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:37 PM   #12
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche986spyder
Yellow top OPTIMA stil has MORE POWER AND RESERVE CAPACITY. But you get what you pay for.
Both have a 2 year full replacement warranty, both are more than enough to start a Boxster year round anywhere in the US.

One costs $70 the other at least $150 and is not an exact fit, plus isn't the yellow top a deep cycle battery not a starting battery?
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:01 PM   #13

Vanessa, I think it's lighly likely you're going to need a new battery. A charged conventional car battery will not freeze even when subjected to ungodly low temps like -40, but a discharged battery could freeze at temps like you encountered. The act of freezing solid will usually either crack the case or break the plate structure inside the battery. In the first case, when the battery thaws you can end up with an acid leak (nasty!). In the second, the battery will have less or even no power (depends upon the degree of damage, whether it takes out just one cell or more).

The Optima battery that folks have mentioned here is a different design and does not have cells with an acid bath, in addition to the other benefits that have been mentioned. However, they are significantly more expensive than a conventional battery.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:12 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
Hi,

Yes, it needs a different tray, or requires that you drill a hole in the existing one to accomodate it. I have spec'd a ¼" Aluminum Plate which a machinist friend is going to make up for me. I have considered making a batch of a dozen or so were there enough interest in doing so.

You need a type 34R to fit the Boxster w/o replacing the Pos (+) cable, but these are hard to come by, so a type 34 will work just fine. You'll simply need to add a 24" 1 ga. cable in place of the stock 18" one, $4-5 at Autozone.

Aside from all the advantages of a GMT Battery over a Wet Cell, it also weighs about 12 lbs. less...

MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 12:41 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

Yes, it needs a different tray, or requires that you drill a hole in the existing one to accomodate it. I have spec'd a ¼" Aluminum Plate which a machinist friend is going to make up for me. I have considered making a batch of a dozen or so were there enough interest in doing so.

You need a type 34R to fit the Boxster w/o replacing the Pos (+) cable, but these are hard to come by, so a type 34 will work just fine. You'll simply need to add a 24" 1 ga. cable in place of the stock 18" one, $4-5 at Autozone.

Aside from all the advantages of a GMT Battery over a Wet Cell, it also weighs about 12 lbs. less...

Guess you did not se my post. They should provide you with the Adaptor tray when you buy the Optima battery. It's plastic and is the same color as the battery top that you buy, either Yellow or Red. No need to drill holes or fab up a tray. If you use the Yellow Top it should fit fine with no adaptor tray. I say yellow over redtop because most have nice stereos in their Porsches and are also convertables requiring a deep cycle for that type of usage. It's also what our in-house tech guy recomends (D34 Yellow Top) here at JCI. This is from our brochure:

OPTIMA YellowTop Benefits
* Dual Purpose starting and deep cycling.
* Lasts up to 2 times longer than other batteries.
* Constant performance quality keeping your battery running at the same level even as it's being discharged.
* More power in the initial 1, 3, 5, and 10 seconds of the starting process than comparably rated conventional lead acid batteries.
* Ideal for seasonal use, fully charged, it can sit unused for up to 12 months at room temperature (or below) and still start a car.
* 15 times more resistant to vibration than other batteries.
* Nonspillable and can mount in almost any position.

Last edited by porsche986spyder; 02-06-2007 at 01:05 PM.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:51 AM   #16

Send a message via AIM to EuroProjektzKelvin
Dead batteries

If you drive your boxster say once a month or rarely i recommend Deep Cycle batteries, those battery are meant for long storages usually used on boats.

Conventional battery aren't meant fro storage for long period of time, but you could solve this problem with a battery maintance charger.

For COLD COLD weather, there is somethinc called Cold Cranking Amps abrevated at CCA on the battery. The CCA determines the battery ability to crank the specific Amps ( its what makes your starter turn) in a cold temperature. The higher the CCA the better i recommend 600-650

Have a nice day, if there is grammar/misspelling issue my bad i'm typing this 4 in the morning
EuroProjektzKelvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 06:46 AM   #17

[QUOTE=EuroProjektzKelvin]If you drive your boxster say once a month or rarely i recommend Deep Cycle batteries, those battery are meant for long storages usually used on boats.

Conventional battery aren't meant fro storage for long period of time, but you could solve this problem with a battery maintance charger.

For COLD COLD weather, there is somethinc called Cold Cranking Amps abrevated at CCA on the battery. The CCA determines the battery ability to crank the specific Amps ( its what makes your starter turn) in a cold temperature. The higher the CCA the better i recommend 600-650

Yes, he is right, that is why I keep telling everyone the best battery your money can buy is a YellowTop Optima. They have 750 CCA. Yellow Top Optimas are deep cycle batteries.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:30 PM   #18
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Unless you are going to leave your car sit for long periods and own it more than 7 years, IMO the $70 700 amp cold cranking battery is the better buy.
Old 02-07-2007, 05:00 PM   #19
bmussatti

Hey, porsche986spyder, how about a company discount for the guys (and gals)?
Old 02-09-2007, 06:00 AM   #20

Thanks a lot bfor the info!

thanks for all the precious information...

After changing the fuse, my BMW is now unlocking fine but I need to take care of the battery...I am due for a new one anyway and will buy one of these plug-ins battery chargers at Walmart to -hopefully- get my car going.

I will shop around and look into the batteries that were presented on the posts.

The weather in STL is a little better but I need to address this asap...Vanessa

99 silver BMW 323i
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m...rscheseule.jpg
vouvoune is offline   Reply With Quote