Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2007, 08:23 AM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Surf City, NC
Posts: 1,079
2009 911 Spy Shot

Car & Driver posted this:

http://www.caranddriver.com/carnews/12430/spied-2009-porsche-911-carrera-s.html

__________________
Mike
04 Boxster S - Basalt/Savanna, 6sp, Carrera lites, hardtop
70 914-6 - Black over tan, original/stock
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 08:37 AM   #2
Registered User
 
Perfectlap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 8,709
so much for a major redesign.
we have two years to look forward to more of the same unispiring look.
__________________
GT3 Recaro Seats - Boxster Red
GT3 Aero / Carrera 18" 5 spoke / Potenza RE-11
Fabspeed Headers & Noise Maker
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 09:02 AM   #3
Porscheectomy
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Seattle Area
Posts: 3,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
so much for a major redesign.
we have two years to look forward to more of the same unispiring look.
The car's design has remained basically the same for more than 40 years. It's hard to expect much of a change. I don't think these spy shots or those of the 08 Boxster are even really newsworthy.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 10:29 AM   #4
Registered User
 
Brucelee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 8,083
Talking

I would like to get a design job at Porsche.

How hard could that be?

The NEW 911 is BORINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!

Geez, guys, get a life.
__________________
Rich Belloff

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 10:33 AM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
The car's design has remained basically the same for more than 40 years. It's hard to expect much of a change. I don't think these spy shots or those of the 08 Boxster are even really newsworthy.

Yep, the 911 has evolved more than anything, making only minor changes, sometimes years apart. That's what gives it it's identity!
__________________
2001 Boxster - Grey on Grey
1969 911T Targa - 'Stinky'

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 10:36 AM   #6
Registered User
 
Ronzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Denver CO
Posts: 748
There is a difference between design and style, to my mind. Cars that have been styled go in and out of fashion as quickly as hem lines and necktie patterns. The wedge-shaped cars of the late '70s and early '80s are automotive examples. They look ridiculous today, but at one time everybody had them, except for Porsche.
Say what you like about "glacial" pace of design change at Porsche, but the 911 looked good when it was introduced in '65, and it still looks good today.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 10:44 AM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: In my box
Posts: 233
you know what else i find that for some reason the cars are getting skinnier....

someone posted the 08 boxster and it looks skinny....n so does this 911. now by skinny i mean they arent wide body like the turbos.

these are pictures, so god knows what it will really look like.

bring back the wide body porsche's.
986Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 11:02 AM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronzi
Say what you like about "glacial" pace of design change at Porsche, but the 911 looked good when it was introduced in '65, and it still looks good today.
I fully agree. One of my earliest memories as a child was thinking how cool the 911 looked. That thought has not changed about current (and older) 911s in 30 years...
__________________
Happy Motoring!... Timí05

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 11:27 AM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 793
Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronzi
There is a difference between design and style, to my mind. Cars that have been styled go in and out of fashion as quickly as hem lines and necktie patterns. The wedge-shaped cars of the late '70s and early '80s are automotive examples. They look ridiculous today, but at one time everybody had them, except for Porsche.
Say what you like about "glacial" pace of design change at Porsche, but the 911 looked good when it was introduced in '65, and it still looks good today.

I agree 100% with the above.
__________________
I bleed green

It's not about the summit, it's about the climb.


http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/chills1138/2.jpg
Chills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 12:28 PM   #10
Porscheectomy
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Seattle Area
Posts: 3,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by 986Roadster
you know what else i find that for some reason the cars are getting skinnier....

someone posted the 08 boxster and it looks skinny....n so does this 911. now by skinny i mean they arent wide body like the turbos.

these are pictures, so god knows what it will really look like.

bring back the wide body porsche's.
They're actually getting taller, which makes them look skinnier. People cry for headroom and ease of entry/exit like their SUVs. Manufacturers respond by raising the seating position off the ground and raising the roofs of the cars.

Look at an Acura RSX compared to an Integra or an early 90s Corolla compared to a new one and you'll see what I mean.

Even the 996/997 is HUGE when sitting next to a 993.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 12:48 PM   #11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
They're actually getting taller, which makes them look skinnier. People cry for headroom and ease of entry/exit like their SUVs. Manufacturers respond by raising the seating position off the ground and raising the roofs of the cars.

Look at an Acura RSX compared to an Integra or an early 90s Corolla compared to a new one and you'll see what I mean.

Even the 996/997 is HUGE when sitting next to a 993.
I absolutely hate this trend.
__________________
Happy Motoring!... Timí05

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 01:08 PM   #12
Registered User
 
Perfectlap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 8,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
I would like to get a design job at Porsche.

How hard could that be?

The NEW 911 is BORINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!

Geez, guys, get a life.

I agree 997 = ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ


Porsche seems to be going backwards with the flagship Pcar.

The 1999 redesign was a big shot in the arm and the car got more aggresive with 2002 facelift. The high end 996 911's like the GT's and Turbo were begining to look down right EXOTIC (too match it price tag!!)

Now its just ridonkulusly expensive and looks like a watered down 993 rehash, but without the nostalgia one gets seeing a pristine 1987 911 w/G50.

The 928 was forward looking in design and its stood the test of time. I was a big fan of that car and its trick headlights. The 911 always looked like a glorified VW to me which is exactly how I would describe the styling of the $80K 997 (albeit not the performance, but we'll see how that pans out this year in the FIA GT Championshiop vs. F430)
__________________
GT3 Recaro Seats - Boxster Red
GT3 Aero / Carrera 18" 5 spoke / Potenza RE-11
Fabspeed Headers & Noise Maker
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 01:26 PM   #13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 195
Not so boring to me but I would echo the 928 thoughts(Perfect lap).

I also think the fact that they have retained the overall feel of the car as long as they have is the reason for its continued popularity/success.

I grew up lusting after it in the 70s as I am sure many of you here did in whatever generation you may be from...

Here is a re-enactment of me circa 1978.
Enjoy!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KRbzJ0L1Zn8
__________________
http://home.comcast.net/~jmpfleet/Cars/m3r.JPG
Current - 04' M3 SMG Convertible
SOLD - But never to be forgotten 98 Boxster
Stock w/19" Wheels, stealth K40 front and rear
Boxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 01:55 PM   #14
Registered User
 
Brucelee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 8,083
Smile

I love the 928 and 968 designs. Nice, progressive, distinctive.

To me, Porsche should get those guys out of retirement.
__________________
Rich Belloff

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 01:58 PM   #15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: In my box
Posts: 233
hey blue you are right!

i also dont find them boring. i think i like every model of porsche ever made. okay maybe the 996 convertibles have issues, but the new 997 is a sweet car. this dude has one at work, and i like how boringggggg it looks. i could careless if they changed it or didnt. also glad they brought the old round lights back. althought they do remind me of the mini and beetle. but who cares its a porsche and still turns heads!!!
986Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 06:03 PM   #16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 1,460
I think it looks good. I like subtle changes. (You should too, it makes our cars look better)

Other manufacturers like to go crazy with their redesigns... and then if they design something that looks like a previous model from 30 years ago, it's "RETRO."

The Mustang comes to mind. A 1964.5 & and a 2006 look strikingly similar. The '06 is fresh and cool though... only because it has some different/odd/weird/non-mustang-ish renditions preceding it.

I bet if the 911 had morphed into something that didn't really resemble what it is today, and then came out with this design (from this post), you'd melt with awe and wonderment.
__________________
.
1997 Honda Accord | V6
2004 BMW 330i | ZHP | SOLD
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 07:43 PM   #17
Registered User
 
Brucelee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 8,083
Talking

:"althought they do remind me of the mini and beetle."

I rest my case!
__________________
Rich Belloff

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 10:06 AM   #18
Porscheectomy
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Seattle Area
Posts: 3,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee

The NEW 911 is BORINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!
I don't know, the 997 front end looks pretty hot on the nose of a Cayman

http://www.farnbacherloles.com/

Last edited by blue2000s; 02-03-2007 at 10:33 AM.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 10:21 AM   #19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: ohio
Posts: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
I love the 928 and 968 designs. Nice, progressive, distinctive.

To me, Porsche should get those guys out of retirement.

I read somewhere (perhaps on edmunds) that Porsche is planning on bringing back the 928. I believe they had some concept pics as well.

As long as they don't bring back the 914, I'll be a Porsche fan. I still cant get the smell of my '72 914 exhaust out of my garage. I remember one of my fuel injectors leaking....right on top of the hot exhaust pipe....german engineering in da house.
__________________
2003 Boxster Seal Gray/Gray
TIP
5000 miles (for some reason I'm proud of this)
porschegeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 10:32 AM   #20
Porscheectomy
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Seattle Area
Posts: 3,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by porschegeorg
I read somewhere (perhaps on edmunds) that Porsche is planning on bringing back the 928. I believe they had some concept pics as well.

As long as they don't bring back the 914, I'll be a Porsche fan. I still cant get the smell of my '72 914 exhaust out of my garage. I remember one of my fuel injectors leaking....right on top of the hot exhaust pipe....german engineering in da house.
The modern day 928 is called the Panamera, and it's a 4-door. In essence, the Boxster IS the modern day 914. Shared parts in a less expensive, open top package.

blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page