Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2007, 12:30 PM   #1

Where does the tool kit go?

Hi guys,

Just picked up a tool kit from a guy on ebay- ended up winning it for $26 plus $10 shipping. I have seen them go alot higher. Anyway, now that I have one, where is the proper placement of the toolkit. I see there is a peice of velcrow down on the right side of the spare tire, would that be it?
thanks

porschefan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 12:37 PM   #2

What year is your Box? I have a 1999 and mine goes in the front pouch that covers the spare tire. It is also secured there by velcro.

Anyway, just as long as it is secured and doesn't rattle you should be fine. IMHO, just don't forget to check out what you have and make sure you know how to use it before you really need to.
dcporsche99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 12:42 PM   #3

Thanks,
Man that was fast, anyway I have a 97. In the spare tire pouch seems like it would be a great place to put it. Any ideas on the black velcrow located to the right bottom of the spare tire?
Old 02-01-2007, 01:35 PM   #4

I have a 97 as well and the velcro to the right is where I keep mine.

BTW, if it's complete with the headlight removal tool and the tow eye, you made yourself one KILLER eBay purchase there, friend.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 03:28 PM   #5

Were these tool kits an option on the Boxsters? I have a 1999 and do not think I have one. What are the tools used for?
Heated Seats / Cruise
Traction Control / Factory Hardtop
Bumper Plugs / Zaino Z2 Z6 Z8
jci-joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 03:34 PM   #6
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Not that it really matters, but it is supposed to go behind the spare tire.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 03:51 PM   #7

Boxtaboy is correct. It fits neatly in the foam insert that goes behind the spare tire.

However, if you put it behind the spare and need to use a tool you have to remove the spare. Not a big deal, but it is a minor inconvenience.

I think the tool kit was standard equipment in all Boxsters. They just get misplaced over the years and don't convey with the used ones.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 03:59 PM   #8

Hi guys,

Yes it is a full kit, with the tow bolt and headlight removal tool. I was planning on paying $25 for the tow bolt alone. I cannont believe I got it that cheap. I have been bidding on them for 6 months and it seems they all have gone for over $50+.

When I bought the car, it was missing 2 key items, the tool kit and owners manual. I have had the owners manual on back order at Performance products for over 6 months. Their price is $45.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:59 PM   #9
boggtown

Mine just goes behind the spare, but my spare is held on by a big wing nut so theres no need for a tool, just a little effort, depending on how tight you put on last.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:07 PM   #10

Huh????

Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought he was asking about the "tool kit" and not the jack and jack handle that fits neatly inside the foam insert.

I suppose as long as it's secure, it really doesn't matter where you put it.
dcporsche99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 07:02 AM   #11

Any time you need manuals or to replace missing tools in your tool kit, do call Sunset. In fact, they have great (well not exactly great, nothing stamped with Porsche on it is cheap) prices on MAF's and replacement key heads too!
Old 05-02-2007, 07:05 PM   #12

Well this forum saved my a@@ again!

I'm getting ready to change to Silverstar's. I went to get my toolkit (assuming it was in the front of the spare) and found an empty black bag I assumed it was the toolkit bag and that the tools were gone.

Went to Ebay and found one from LA Dismantlers -- $200! I did notice though that the bag I found was too small to be the tool bag.

Based on the "behind the tire" info in this thread, I decided to take a look. Sure enough, there it was snuggly tucked above the jack in the foam insert :dance:

Not only is it complete, my guess is that it may have never been opened. There were some white plastic sheets and a yellow bag with plastic gloves (german instructions) in with the tools. Anyone know if those came with the toolkit originally?
larryshomework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 07:15 PM   #13

I believe the toolkit did have rubber or plastic gloves in it originally.

Hey, you may want to reconsider silverstars. They are more blue than factory halogen lamps, but they don't last very long and they are not cheap.

I'd save my money for a set of used litronics if I were you. I have litronics and they're wonderful at night.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:18 PM   #14

Thanks for the input on the Silverstars - I really don't care what they look like --- I just need more light! I drive rurally at night and the Box (2002) has the worst headlights I've ever had. I was hoping the Silverstars would help some.

larryshomework is offline   Reply With Quote