Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2007, 05:43 PM   #1

Drove A C6 Today

The guy I bought my house from bought a new C6. I was kidding him saying the driving his Vette was part of the deal.

It's been a few months but ran into him a few days ago and he came by today.

He has added a turbo, headers and Borla exhaust, not sure what else. He said the dyno showed 675 hp??

The car handled well, didn't feel like the 3600 or so lbs. it is. The seat was so much much comfortable. The exhaust note was great sounding, a great drive.

He then drove it like I wanted to but was scared to...holy crap. Very impressive.

The interior in a way looked great, it a way (bad way) still looked like a GM. It would be a great car to have if I could afford another one, but despite the power I won't trade the Boxster for one. Fun ride and drive though.

Old 05-01-2007, 05:57 PM   #2
Porscheectomy

Why was that car so heavy? Curb weight is only about 3100 pounds stock.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 06:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC986
The guy I bought my house from bought a new C6. I was kidding him saying the driving his Vette was part of the deal.

It's been a few months but ran into him a few days ago and he came by today.

He has added a turbo, headers and Borla exhaust, not sure what else. He said the dyno showed 675 hp??

The car handled well, didn't feel like the 3600 or so lbs. it is. The seat was so much much comfortable. The exhaust note was great sounding, a great drive.

He then drove it like I wanted to but was scared to...holy crap. Very impressive.

The interior in a way looked great, it a way (bad way) still looked like a GM. It would be a great car to have if I could afford another one, but despite the power I won't trade the Boxster for one. Fun ride and drive though.
The car weights about 3200 lbs

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 08:58 PM   #4

Wow turbo'd LS2 engine? That thing must've shoved you back in the seat pretty hard. I just drove a modded 04 Ls1 last weekend for a few hours at Bowling Green KY. It had approx 430 hp and that was pretty impressive but not quite as explosive as I thought it would be. I drove a C6 last year as well and it was impressive. I didn't care for the tramline effect of either car which is more than likely due to the wide rubber. I took a tour of the vette plant down there too....I must say it was pretty neat seeing the car built from start to finish. The corvette is definately a great car in it's own right....and great people too.

Last edited by Adam; 05-01-2007 at 09:07 PM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 01:50 AM   #5

I don't know on the weight, that's just what he said it was at.

Yeah the LS2 was impressive, it did push you back in the seat with each gear change. It caught me by surprise.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:08 AM   #6

Interesting stuff.

Everytime I see a C6 in a parking lot, I just drool over the new design. It is a much more attractive and tighter looking package to me.

If they drop in value like most Corvettes do, I could see myself going for a 6sp manual in a year or two and getting away from the Box???? Maybe a 987S if they drop also.

Tough to beat 400HP with brakes that finally match the acceleration. Haven't driving one, but that's what I read/hear.

Jeff
jwilson95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 04:26 AM   #7
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
Wow turbo'd LS2 engine? That thing must've shoved you back in the seat pretty hard. I just drove a modded 04 Ls1 last weekend for a few hours at Bowling Green KY. It had approx 430 hp and that was pretty impressive but not quite as explosive as I thought it would be. I drove a C6 last year as well and it was impressive. I didn't care for the tramline effect of either car which is more than likely due to the wide rubber. I took a tour of the vette plant down there too....I must say it was pretty neat seeing the car built from start to finish. The corvette is definately a great car in it's own right....and great people too.

Adam, what is "tramline effect"? Thanks.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:48 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Adam, what is "tramline effect"? Thanks.
Tramline is when the car follows every groove or imperfection in the road. It can be kind of scary escpecially at high speed because the car literally trys to steer you into the ditch.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:28 AM   #9

Quote:
Tramline is when the car follows every groove or imperfection in the road. It can be kind of scary escpecially at high speed because the car literally trys to steer you into the ditch.

With the right set of rubber, this all but disappers. The runcraps are a real disadvantage in this car and many folks get them off as quickly as possible.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 06:33 AM   #10

There is a good MotorTrend article this month on the 'Best Handling Sports Car'. I'm sure some Vette loyalists aren't very happy with the results. The top three end up being 1) 911 GT3 2) Cayman 3) Lotus.

Nice showing by Porsche. The Corvette had a very good lap time but was the 'most difficult' to drive at the track. The Cayman was one of the easiest to drive.

Unless you are an expert driver I have to think this would play into your buying decision.

05 Touareg V8
Black
drburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 07:24 AM   #11

C6 is a great car. There are turbo kits for c6s that cost under $6,000...

If only they had that for our Boxsters...

Also, luggage capacity is more than DOUBLE what it is in our Boxsters!!! Which is surprising considering how much space we actually have! 22.4 cubic feet anyone?
Old 05-02-2007, 08:11 AM   #12

Quote:
this was the ultimate beef I have with the vette! horrible.....I haven't driven the C6 yet but the vettes I had never ran on run flats and had the same problem....I do liike the new styling but can't believe they got rid of the pop up head lights
super66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 08:41 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by super66
this was the ultimate beef I have with the vette! horrible.....I haven't driven the C6 yet but the vettes I had never ran on run flats and had the same problem....I do liike the new styling but can't believe they got rid of the pop up head lights
I believe it has more to do with front tire width than anything else, but runflats could be a factor. Typically cars that have skinnier tires up front like the Ferrari f430/360 or 911 variants/boxsters etc don't exhibit this type of behavior or at least to a much lesser extent. I've never driven one, but the Ferrari only has 235mm wide tires up front, but massive steamrollers on the back and I've never read a review where tramlining was mentioned. On the other hand Vipers and vettes have wide tires up front and they are known offenders. I'm sure there are several other contributing factors at play, but tire width would be #1 in my book. That's my theory at least. Chevrolet had to go back to fixed head lights so they could offer the C6 with HID lights. Pop ups can't be true projector HID lights thus the switch for the C6. Pop ups are also old school and very few new cars have this feature these days.

Last edited by Adam; 05-02-2007 at 09:12 AM.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:12 AM   #14

Even the NSX switched to fixed headlights.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian Motorist
Even the NSX switched to fixed headlights.
ha....yeah but the nsx doesn't have the Americana of the vette....the vette enthusiasts were pretty up in arms over the headlights and when they went to the rectangle rear lamps on the C4.....the round rear lights were a staple.....
super66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 04:49 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by super66
ha....yeah but the nsx doesn't have the Americana of the vette....the vette enthusiasts were pretty up in arms over the headlights and when they went to the rectangle rear lamps on the C4.....the round rear lights were a staple.....

True, but the NSX is notorious for not having changed its basic design in 15 years of production. If the NSX does it, it's an absolute necessity for any other car
Old 05-02-2007, 05:20 PM   #17

I bought a 05 C6 coupe mn6 new. Black w/black interior

Front tires are 245/40-ZR18
Rear tires are 285/35-ZR19

It is truely a very fast car, the torque is unbelievable, and a great bang for the buck. I can get an easy 29 mpg on a long 80-85mph interstate cruise.

Yes, I get the "tramline" you talk about in less than perfect roads, and also it seems to have considerably more "bump steer" than a boxster. The track is similar as to cars of its size, but the wider tires do try to climb in/out of "trucker grooves" The runflats are so so. They have (compared to a good non-runflat) poor traction, poor cornering, and don't hook up the 400hp to road well...plus are super noisy on a concrete roadway. The only plus, no spare, drive with zero pressure in the tires.

I have to disagree with... "It can be kind of scary escpecially at high speed because the car literally trys to steer you into the ditch."...comment, never had that problem, yet. It's seen 165+

And I like the fixed Xenon High-Intensity Discharge lamps, nice design...more euro looking.

Both the Boxster and the Corvette have their ups and downs...both are a blast to drive.

markab986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 05:36 PM   #18

I would swap the tires out just to save weight and invest in a little tire plugging kit.

I'm glad you like your C6. I drove on myself and was very impressed.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:53 PM   #19

Yes, tires swapped out will be done probably before the summer is over, would kind of like to go ahead and "use up" the stock tires first.

A small compressor and patch kit can be easily stored in the rear compartments.

I confess, I would like a new Z06...keep the Box, or git rid of both and buy a GT3...can't decide. no! I can't get a Z, keep the Boxster, and get a GT3

markab986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 06:28 PM   #20

Z06? There are so many relatively inexpensive mods for a C6, I don't think I could ever consider a Z06.

Yes, the frame is different, but it shouldn't make a huge difference.

Besides, you don't get the targa-top with the Z06