Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2007, 06:07 PM   #1

Small road trip = 30.2mpg!!!

Today, with a few other Porsche owners (from the 912 forums), I drove from Austin up to Dallas to check out a small collection owned by a great guy, and Porsche enthusiast Jack Griffin. (a couple 356s, a couple 912s, 911s... all very very nice cars... and a few more... ) We had lunch, and then went to another enthusiast's house who had recently finished rebuilding an original 356c motor (and gussied it up with some powder coating and gold plating! We ended up firing up the motor for the first time since 1983!)

Anyway, filled up before leaving Austin, and had to fill up on the way back... the OBC indicated 29.8mpg until a little north of Austin, where it went up to 30.2!!

I put a new air cleaner in last week, and changed the oil yesterday (Mobil 1 0W40), and she was running GREAT! Not to mention, I got gas for the cheapest I've seen it... and premium was cheaper than the regular I was putting in my old car! ($2.19/gal for 93)

Anyway, here it is, so you don't think I'm BSin y'all:

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 06:36 PM   #2
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrayAdjacent
Anyway, here it is, so you don't think I'm BSin y'all:

I would have believed you without the pic. I recently did a big road trip in my 2.7 (1130 miles in one day) and averaged 31.5 mpg. That number would have been higher if I hadn't run into a lot of traffic.

Do you run your tire pressures at the recommended settings? I tend to bump all four tires up a pound or two for long road trips.

I wasn't looking for great gas mileage when I bought my car. This has been a pleasant surprise for me.

ddb
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 07:33 PM   #3

I believe you too.

When I drove to South Carolina last summer to pick up my hard top, there were state troopers all over the place. So I kept my speed below 75 mph, and a lot of my driving was slower than that. My OBC was reading around 32 mpg. But, I double checked the mileage by dividing the number of miles driven by gallons consumed, and it was a little lower than that - but still above 30 mpg.

The Boxster can be very easy on gas - if you don't give into the temptation to drive it like it was meant to be driven. Which is to say, most of the time you won't be getting 30 miles per gallon.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 05:59 AM   #4

Smile

I like these stories. The Boxster is an efficient vehicle when driven so. Nice to hear! Kudos to the engineers and the drivers.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 07:07 AM   #5

Tire pressure should have been at the recommended pressure. I had the alignment done on Friday, and the shop set the tire pressure correctly.

Coming back, tho... the wind, and crappy road surface was making the car dance around a bit... my arms got tired keepin her straight! When I stopped for gas a bit south of Waco, when I got out of the car at the gas station, the wind almost knocked me over! It must have been 20mph with 30+ gusts! I think most of the way it was lateral, but in some places, it might have been at my tail.

I'm pretty impressed with the car so far. I'm glad I decided to get one!

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 07:55 AM   #6

The Boxster can be very easy on gas - if you don't give into the temptation to drive it like it was meant to be driven. Which is to say, most of the time you won't be getting 30 miles per gallon.

Well put.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote