Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2007, 01:56 PM   #1

Adding GPS (in a roundabout way!)

The thread about GPS navigation, and plans for the TOD run... and other potential road trips in the future got me to looking around, and I decided on a GPS navigation setup. Instead of an uber-expensive in-dash nav system, I opted to go a little roundabout.

Here's what I ordered..

A Holux GPSlim 236 Bluetooth GPS receiver (SiRF III). It's about the size of a cigarette pack, and simply connects to a PC or PDA to provide GPS positioning.

The receiver was bundled with DeLorme's Street Atlas 2007 software, which is mapping software for Windows, but also has a version for Windows Mobile for use on a PDA. Supposed to be pretty good, but reviews say it's a little more complicated than Streets.

For the interface and display, I ordered a Dell Axim PDA. One of the base models, pretty basic, but it has a Bluetooth radio. Add in a cheap SD or CF card for the map software and maps and such. I probably won't use the PDA for much else.

The plan is to mount the GPS receiver in the front trunk, and wire it for power. This should be easy since the PO left the wiring for an aftermarket amp up there. I'll just tap that power. Then get a simple windscreen mount for the PDA, and use a cigarette lighter power adapter to run it.

All in all, costs less than $400. I'll have to post pics and a review once I get everything in and set up.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 03:13 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Travis
Good Luck with the setup, a couple of things to think about:

1: Try to figure a place other than the trunk to mount the antenna (maybe next to your temperature sensor in the front bumper)

2: What are your plans for audio. with the Dell Axim the sound level at max is not that great (and if top is down forget it) and the screen is to small to read while driving.

I tried a similar setup in a hardtop SUV, worked "ok" but not great.

Let us know how it turns out, I may revisit it myself.

Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 03:33 PM   #3

1. I figured maybe the hood (being steel) might interfere with the receiver, but I'll give it a try. Several reviews said the SiRF III chipset was more sensitive and may not need an external antenna. If it does, I might be able to get a small antenna and mount it on the plastic housing around the wiper arms. (Depending on the size of the antenna and all that jazz). If it doesn't work well, I'll put it in my storage bin. I'm sure the top and such won't interfere with the GPS RF reception.

2. My head unit does have an aux in... but it has to be switched from CD or FM radio. I'll see how it goes....

As for reading the screen... the software I'm getting is supposed to have adjustable font sizes to make it easier to read. I'll play around with it and see how it goes. I figure if I use it on road trips, for the most part on road trips I'll have the top up for comfort... we'll see if the audio is OK or not.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
Old 01-14-2007, 04:47 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Travis
You know, I was just thinking about the audio and just wonder if it would be possible to pair two devices at the same time to the Dell Axim?

1. BT GPS Receiver
2. BT Headset

Just a thought
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 07:24 PM   #5

I bet you could pair a couple devices, and have both of them active...

AFAIK, you can use one of each type of device at a time... like one headset at a time... etc etc...

What I'd DIG is a head unit with Bluetooth that can connect to a PDA and read files from it, so that you can put music files on your PDA, and listen to them through the head unit... or a head unit that has a headphone profile, so it can get stereo audio from a PDA.

Old 01-14-2007, 09:29 PM   #6

As much as it is hard to shell out the money up front, you will find yourself amazed at how often and how much you'll use and enjoy a good in dash system. The Eclipse units are by far the best on the market, not cheap, but IMO worth every penny (keep in mind they also happen to be some of the best audio head units available as well).

Patrick

Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote