View Single Post
Old 01-14-2007, 01:56 PM   #1
FrayAdjacent

Adding GPS (in a roundabout way!)

The thread about GPS navigation, and plans for the TOD run... and other potential road trips in the future got me to looking around, and I decided on a GPS navigation setup. Instead of an uber-expensive in-dash nav system, I opted to go a little roundabout.

Here's what I ordered..

A Holux GPSlim 236 Bluetooth GPS receiver (SiRF III). It's about the size of a cigarette pack, and simply connects to a PC or PDA to provide GPS positioning.

The receiver was bundled with DeLorme's Street Atlas 2007 software, which is mapping software for Windows, but also has a version for Windows Mobile for use on a PDA. Supposed to be pretty good, but reviews say it's a little more complicated than Streets.

For the interface and display, I ordered a Dell Axim PDA. One of the base models, pretty basic, but it has a Bluetooth radio. Add in a cheap SD or CF card for the map software and maps and such. I probably won't use the PDA for much else.

The plan is to mount the GPS receiver in the front trunk, and wire it for power. This should be easy since the PO left the wiring for an aftermarket amp up there. I'll just tap that power. Then get a simple windscreen mount for the PDA, and use a cigarette lighter power adapter to run it.

All in all, costs less than $400. I'll have to post pics and a review once I get everything in and set up.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote