Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2007, 09:47 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolkar
Did you get a chance to try the usb connection? Also the other audio input. I dont want to use an ipod, I have a creative mp3 player with 120gb hdd (which I replaced the original 40gb). Therefore, I am curious how it will work.

I have PCM with CD changer. If I understand correctly, you can change between cd changer or the dension with a button on the dension unit? So that means I have to get out of the car open the trunk and change it? Wish there was a way to do this inside the car.

Thanks a lot for your post about this product. My last question is, is there a company that imports them to here? Or should we get them from UK web pages?
I've only used the iPod connector so far, and don't really intend to use the AUX in or USB input.

You can switch between the Gateway 500 and the CD changer using a bypass switch on the Gateway. The change only takes effect the next time the MOST bus is turned on. You can mount the cables inside the main cabin. I choose the front trunk so the install would be easy enough to do myself, and because I plan to keep a dedicated iPod up front.

Eric @ Bumper Plugs will be doing a group buy (http://www.bumperplugs.com/DensionGroupBuy2.html). I ordered from maxcount.de where I paid 361EUR + 25EUR for shipping.

rickhuizinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 10:34 PM   #22

The more I read about these convoluted and expensive iPod integrations the more annoyed I become with Porsche. My annoyance had settled for awhile and become sullen resignation, but now I'm just feeling verklempt.

And the most asinine aspect of the Dension solution is that they would release the PCM version first. If I had PCM I'd be fine just burning songs in data-format. My playlists are really not that sacred to me.

Seriously, this calls for a big WTF and maybe a little ass-kicking. Now where did I put those Lufthansa tickets...

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 06:45 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD987
And the most asinine aspect of the Dension solution is that they would release the PCM version first. If I had PCM I'd be fine just burning songs in data-format. My playlists are really not that sacred to me.

That's not true. The Dension unit has DIP switches to select whether it is used with the CDR23/24 vs. PCM. The operation of the Gateway 500 on the CDR23/24 was discussed earlier in this thread.

Last edited by rickhuizinga; 01-12-2007 at 06:49 AM.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:38 PM   #24
bmussatti

Save Some Money!

Check out this link to save $50-100 on the iPod adapter:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=12290&hl=
Old 01-18-2007, 08:28 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickhuizinga
I've only used the iPod connector so far, and don't really intend to use the AUX in or USB input.

You can switch between the Gateway 500 and the CD changer using a bypass switch on the Gateway. The change only takes effect the next time the MOST bus is turned on. You can mount the cables inside the main cabin. I choose the front trunk so the install would be easy enough to do myself, and because I plan to keep a dedicated iPod up front.

Eric @ Bumper Plugs will be doing a group buy (http://www.bumperplugs.com/DensionGroupBuy2.html). I ordered from maxcount.de where I paid 361EUR + 25EUR for shipping.
So HOW did you get it to work? I have an 05 987 with BOSE and no CD changer. I have the GW500 and took the unit to a very reputable audio house (recommended by BH Porsche, etc) The installer flipped the dips to Porsche mode and installed in the front trunk downstream from the amp. He also tried as first unit on the bus as there's only a BOSE amp. Oddly enough, whatever was downstream from the GW500 failed (the bus wouldn't recognize it.)

BH Porsche was kind enough to verify MOST bus for me (verified that the Head Unit had CDC enabled as well...) The end game was this unit DIDN'T work on my bus. It kept killing the BOSE or the head unit.

Any thoughts????

Also, the Porsche documentation / fiber packet that comes with the kit says the GW/CD bypass switch doesn't work on Porsches... yours does??
laphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 08:42 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by laphil
So HOW did you get it to work? I have an 05 987 with BOSE and no CD changer. I have the GW500 and took the unit to a very reputable audio house (recommended by BH Porsche, etc) The installer flipped the dips to Porsche mode and installed in the front trunk downstream from the amp. He also tried as first unit on the bus as there's only a BOSE amp. Oddly enough, whatever was downstream from the GW500 failed (the bus wouldn't recognize it.)

BH Porsche was kind enough to verify MOST bus for me (verified that the Head Unit had CDC enabled as well...) The end game was this unit DIDN'T work on my bus. It kept killing the BOSE or the head unit.

Any thoughts????

Also, the Porsche documentation / fiber packet that comes with the kit says the GW/CD bypass switch doesn't work on Porsches... yours does??
Hmmm - I didn't get the notice about the bypass switch not working, but that explains why I couldn't get the configuration menu to come up (it requires 3 cycles of the bypass switch).

Does your car have NAV?

With the Gateway 500 installed, do the rest of the devices work? I.e. Can you hear the radio and/or CD? This would indicate that your installer didn't reverse the input vs. output, and that your Gateway 500 is getting power.

What I'm trying to get at is that I've read that the CDR23/24 requires recoding using the dealer's PIWIS system when adding a CD changer. The PCM can, however, auto-discover the addition of a CD changer. I'm no expert, I just read this somewhere about installing a CD changer.

Since the Gateway 500 emulates a CD changer, a CDR23/24 head unit would need to be re-coded using the PIWIS system by your dealer.

I've also attached the install notes for Porsche that were provided to me by maxcount.de - I just received this yesterday. Note that there are two different DIP switch settings for Porsche, depending on whether you have a PCM or CDR23/24 head unit. It also mentions whether the Gateway 500 should be up or down stream from the head unit.

Rick

Last edited by rickhuizinga; 01-18-2007 at 09:51 PM.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:51 PM   #27

After reading the install notes a second time, it sounds like the 987/997 need the Gateway installed downstream of the head unit, whereas the Cayenne needs it installed upstream. Based on your description, it sounds like your Gateway 500 is installed downstream of the AMP and upstream from the head unit which differs from the requirements in these install notes. You may want to change this and give it a try again.

Rick
Old 01-19-2007, 06:45 AM   #28

Quote:
After reading the install notes a second time, it sounds like the 987/997 need the Gateway installed downstream of the head unit, whereas the Cayenne needs it installed upstream. Based on your description, it sounds like your Gateway 500 is installed downstream of the AMP and upstream from the head unit which differs from the requirements in these install notes. You may want to change this and give it a try again.

Rick
We tied both downstream and upstream and definitely checked the direction. I didn't get the insert that shows two dip settings. This is new! I'll take it in today and report results

Thanks
Old 01-19-2007, 06:56 AM   #29

I'm with SD987. I was seriously considering this gizmo but all this complexity and $$ just to plug in a simple player is starting to border on the bizarre. Porsche could have just provided an AUX IN socket on the face plate and be done with it. Sheesh.

Z.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:17 AM   #30

Thumbs down my take

just something I find funny is how we all can't believe Porsche didn't make accomodations to hook up the iPod. I for one have been really mad about it but the reality is that when I went shopping for cars, the only car on the short list that had one was the new IS 350 and it is located in the glove box I think??.....none for the infiniti, BMW(same glove box option?) I think had it as an option on one of the models.

Now most recently I had a friend purchase a Toyota Matrix, 07 and it had no iPod connection, I was floored, I mean this car is marketed to that technology generation and they still missed the mark. Unreal. Thumbs down to all automakers who haven't stepped up......
super66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 11:27 AM   #31

Quote:
We tied both downstream and upstream and definitely checked the direction. I didn't get the insert that shows two dip settings. This is new! I'll take it in today and report results

Thanks
RESULTS: The unit is going back. We've set the dips properly. We've verified the fiber direction and locations in the loop (with Dension on the phone.) The distributor upgraded the firmware. I give up! It may be a faulty unit... I haven't ruled that out. I will say this: The folks at Haas Entertainment in Los Angeles (Culver City) are top notch, very professional, and there's a reason why BH Porsche and Pacific Porsche recommend them. They really stand behind their work.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:28 PM   #32

Quote:
RESULTS: The unit is going back. We've set the dips properly. We've verified the fiber direction and locations in the loop (with Dension on the phone.) The distributor upgraded the firmware. I give up! It may be a faulty unit... I haven't ruled that out. I will say this: The folks at Haas Entertainment in Los Angeles (Culver City) are top notch, very professional, and there's a reason why BH Porsche and Pacific Porsche recommend them. They really stand behind their work.
That's too bad - I'm sorry it didn't work out for you. My experience was much different - the only installation issue was due to me not finding the correct +12V to connect to. Other than that, it worked right out of the box.

Out of curiousity, do you have the CDR24 or PCM head unit?

Also, do you know if your car had the Yazaki or Tyco/AMP optical fiber connectors?
Old 01-19-2007, 02:46 PM   #33

Quote:
That's too bad - I'm sorry it didn't work out for you. My experience was much different - the only installation issue was due to me not finding the correct +12V to connect to. Other than that, it worked right out of the box.

Out of curiousity, do you have the CDR24 or PCM head unit?

Also, do you know if your car had the Yazaki or Tyco/AMP optical fiber connectors?
I take it back... we're hanging tight. The folks from Bumperplugs are really helpful, and they've put me in touch with some Dension folks. My installer doesn't want to give up just yet. I have a CDR24, BOSE, no CDC; not sure about the fiber type.
The saga continues.

Last edited by laphil; 01-20-2007 at 07:46 AM.
Old 02-03-2007, 02:21 PM   #34

Here's my contribution. I reinstalled from scratch today and it took less than fifteen minutes, I took pictures and compiled them in to a PDF, hopefully this will help reassure people that this thing can be installed easily without any great technical know-how.

Download the PDF here: http://www.radarrack.com/boxster.html

Chris.

NOTE - If you do not already have a CD Changer the system must be updated with a PST2
Old 02-03-2007, 02:22 PM   #35

Quote:
I take it back... we're hanging tight. The folks from Bumperplugs are really helpful, and they've put me in touch with some Dension folks. My installer doesn't want to give up just yet. I have a CDR24, BOSE, no CDC; not sure about the fiber type.
The saga continues.
Phil - have you had the MOST configuration updated to tell it there's a CD changer?
Old 02-03-2007, 02:55 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbth
The text on the pdf is garbled?
Are you using a PC or Mac? It looks fine on mine, WinXP / Acrobat

If you want PM me an email address and I'll send you the Word original to see how that looks.

Chris.
Old 02-04-2007, 07:27 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbth
It was garbled on my Mac , I see the text on my Windows PC (different room).
Why would a PDF document not be clear on a MAC , I have viewed many PDF files on my MAC.

I have a 987 with PCM , if I do this , I will have the install and ipod in the front trunk.
Any suggestion?

Thanks.
I created the PDF with CutePDF rather than Adobe, maybe that's why. I'll try the full Acrobat if I get chance.

I don't think you *have* to install it in the trunk but with PCM you can if you want to as you get a much better display for navigating the tracks and so on. If you install in the trunk you can use the same connection method but hook in at the Amp or CD Changer (if you have one). You'll need to find a constant 12v supply, I wouldn't run straight to the battery (especially without a fuse). I read that there is a 12v constant to the audio components in the trunk so you should be able to tap in there or run through the firewall to the fuse box.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:02 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukchris
Phil - have you had the MOST configuration updated to tell it there's a CD changer?
Yes. I went to the dealership and they set the head unit to enable the CD changer. Position 1 was the Bose (factory), position 2 was the CD changer (the next available open position added by dealer.) An interesting point on your PDF is the positioning in the head unit. Does it matter if the CD changer is first or does it have to be CD changer, then BOSE?

Also, I noticed the DIP setting in your PDF shows for PCM configuration. The original manual is correct for PCM. On the CDR23/24 it needs DIPS 1-3 off, and DIP 4 on, as you stated.

And thanks, the PDF is helpful, but unfortunately I gave up and sent the unit back. I'm waiting for the group buy to happen and some other CDR24 (not the CDR23) non-CD Changer with BOSE folks to take a stab... I'm down about $350+ on this experiment. :ah:

Last edited by laphil; 02-04-2007 at 10:18 AM.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:25 AM   #39

Quote:
Yes. I went to the dealership and they set the head unit to enable the CD changer. Position 1 was the Bose (factory), position 2 was the CD changer (the next available open position added by dealer.) An interesting point on your PDF is the positioning in the head unit. Does it matter if the CD changer is first or does it have to be CD changer, then BOSE?

Also, I noticed the DIP setting in your PDF shows for PCM configuration. The original manual is correct for PCM. On the CDR23/24 it needs DIPS 1-3 off, and DIP 4 on, as you stated.

And thanks, the PDF is helpful, but unfortunately I gave up and sent the unit back. I'm waiting for the group buy to happen and some other CDR24 (not the CDR23) non-CD Changer with BOSE folks to take a stab... I'm down about $350+ on this experiment. :ah:
I hadn't fixed the dip switches when I took the pic, although it seems to work both ways, I guess there are some obscure functions that vary.

I added the CD Changer in position 2 but then when I reviewed it it shows in postion 1, I suspect it displays them in the order they are on the loop or something. I had the Amp in position 1 and added the CD Changer in position 2.

When you had the Dension in the loop did the head unit still operate (even though the Dension didn't)?
Old 02-04-2007, 07:53 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukchris
I hadn't fixed the dip switches when I took the pic, although it seems to work both ways, I guess there are some obscure functions that vary.

I added the CD Changer in position 2 but then when I reviewed it it shows in postion 1, I suspect it displays them in the order they are on the loop or something. I had the Amp in position 1 and added the CD Changer in position 2.

When you had the Dension in the loop did the head unit still operate (even though the Dension didn't)?
In the PCM DIP configuration, the head unit would come up, but the Bose amp wasn't recognized on the loop -- hence no sound or Bose menus on the head unit.

In the CDR24 DIP configuration the head unit would just hang on 'PORSCHE' and not come up at all.

On both configurations, if I bypassed the Gateway, the both the head unit and the amp worked fine.