Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2006, 03:01 PM   #1

Hard Top Question

If I get a hard top and my car has never had one, what are the things I will be needing to be able to install it? How much will these things cost me? Where can I get them? TIA!

Old 12-29-2006, 03:29 PM   #2

Here's an older thread that has some good info. I just got my hardtop at the end of October.

http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1607&highlight=spinlock

According to everyone on the web, they are called spinlocks. According to the dealer, they are not. They knew what I was asking for though. About $100 +/- depending on where you get them. Mine were a little more since I went to a high priced dealer and I needed them that day.

-David

2001 Boxster S (sold)
19" SSR GT3 - Cross coilovers - Custom Magnaflow exhaust - B&M Short Shifter - EVO intake - GT3 Seats - Hardtop

http://www.emeraldcitycustoms.com/images/box2.jpg

1986 Carrera (sold)
David_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 04:39 PM   #3
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
I'm currently searching for a hardtop for my 2000. I called my local dealership today and they quoted me $83 for the needed hardware.

I haven't verified, but I read on one of the forums today that Suncoast Porsche has the inserts and bolts for around $55.
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 04:39 PM   #4

I bought mine from Suncoast Porsche. The parts are called "Insert, Fixture" and "Socket Fitted Screw". They were $80.02 shipped to my house back in June.

There are two part numbers for the inserts:

986-563-713-03
986-563-714-03
One is for the driver's side, the other is for the passenger.

The fitted screw is:
999-219-041-00
You will need two screws.

Search here and on Renntech. You will be able to find illustrated instructions.

Good luck.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console

Last edited by KevinH1990; 12-29-2006 at 04:45 PM.
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 04:57 PM   #5
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH1990
I bought mine from Suncoast Porsche. The parts are called "Insert, Fixture" and "Socket Fitted Screw". They were $80.02 shipped to my house back in June.

There are two part numbers for the inserts:

986-563-713-03
986-563-714-03
One is for the driver's side, the other is for the passenger.

The fitted screw is:
999-219-041-00
You will need two screws.

Search here and on Renntech. You will be able to find illustrated instructions.

Good luck.
KevinH,

Thanks for the information. I think I will order the parts from my dealership tomorrow so I will be ready whenever I find the top.

ddb
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 05:10 PM   #6

I have a line on a hardtop, same color as my Boxster, much cheaper than I've seen on Ebay. So do you leave the hardtop on? I have read in so not good to leave the top stored down.

I would prefer the hardtop anytime I wanted/needed a top but did not want to have to put it on everytime having to do this by myself.
SC986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 05:22 PM   #7

The guy who sold me my boxster had a nice wall mount system for storing the hardtop. He also included a cover for it when it is mounted on the wall. Right now the hardtop is installed otherwise I would take a picture.

I guess since my hardtop came with the car, these spin lock things must have been installed at the factory.

You do need two people to install and take it off also.

The temperature here is PA has been warm during December so I was a little disappointed that I put the hardtop on so soon. It is somewhat of a pain to take on and off so my plan is to put it on mid-Dec and take it off early March.
Heated Seats / Cruise
Traction Control / Factory Hardtop
Bumper Plugs / Zaino Z2 Z6 Z8
jci-joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 05:32 PM   #8

If you have the top on for that long, I guess it is causing you no problems?
SC986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 05:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC986
So do you leave the hardtop on? I have read in so not good to leave the top stored down.

I would prefer the hardtop anytime I wanted/needed a top but did not want to have to put it on everytime having to do this by myself.

The hardtop is not something you would put on and off everyday. To be safe, you want/need someone to help carry it around and put it on. Think of its use as to be seasonal (winter use). Put it on when you are pretty sure top down days are done and pull it off in the spring.

Porsche sells a stand for the hard tops. Not sure how much $$ they are, but i doubt they are cheap. I have also seen little "cranes" that you would mount to the ceiling of your garage, park the car under the "crane" and use it to lift the top on and off the car.
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 07:12 AM   #10

I use a hoist for my hard top. It makes installation and removal a one-person job. It also keeps the top out of the way of bicycles and children while it is in storage - if you have that issue.

The type I bought was a bit pricey, but you can make one yourself for less if you have the time and skill. I found a pretty good deal on my hard top ($610) so I didn't mind spending a little bit of money to make it more convenient to use.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 07:38 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmabasa
If I get a hard top and my car has never had one, what are the things I will be needing to be able to install it? How much will these things cost me? Where can I get them? TIA!
Los Angeles, CA. = Hardtop for Convertible Roadster

unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 04:25 AM   #12

Here is a picture of my hardtop wall mounting. As you can see, I have the hardtop on the boxster. You can also see the hardtop cover on the bracket for when it is stored. Since my garage is small, this solution worked best for me.

Heated Seats / Cruise
Traction Control / Factory Hardtop
Bumper Plugs / Zaino Z2 Z6 Z8
jci-joe is offline   Reply With Quote