Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2024, 07:02 PM   #1

Muffler

I bought a 1999 986 few months ago and it is time to replace the awful muffler the kid installed. Does anyone have any reviews on the dansk oe sport muffler (sound/sport version) I am really only concerned about drone. Also curious if it sounds better than stock. Any feedback is helpful, thanks.

Last edited by sam1; 08-22-2024 at 07:04 PM.
sam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2024, 10:51 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam1 View Post
I bought a 1999 986 few months ago and it is time to replace the awful muffler the kid installed. Does anyone have any reviews on the dansk oe sport muffler (sound/sport version) I am really only concerned about drone. Also curious if it sounds better than stock. Any feedback is helpful, thanks.
Lot's of threads about that topic, I know it because I have the stock muffler without sound ;-)
Type "better sound muffler 986". You can also buy a used stock muffler and do modifications to it. Aftermarket are discussed as well.
997_986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2024, 05:01 AM   #3
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
I restored and installed an old Dansk 'Sausage' on a '97. It was a little louder than stock and had some burble on a heavy decel. Very minimal drone. I shifted up and down through the gears more than necessary just to hear the sound. I regret not pulling it off the car before I sold it. I've read mixed reviews of them on the 2000 and later model years.

Old 08-23-2024, 07:01 AM   #4

I have a dansk OE style muffler that came with my car. I have never had a stock one to compare it to, but I can report there is no drone. It’s pretty quiet. I would prefer the louder dansk model, but it’s just not worth the cost to change it out.

That said it’s developed a rattle inside that I’m having a shop deal with today. It’s either a loose top bolt or a piece of broken cat that made its way in. It’s definitely inside the muffler.

If I needed a new muffler, I would probably just get a used muffler from a dismantled on eBay. 200-300 bucks plus 50 for shipping and call it a day.

"Sixty percent of the time, it works every time!"
Danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2024, 10:44 AM   #5

Update, the baffle separating the chambers on one side completely rotted out. So I will be in the market for a new muffler. Not sure if that’s indicative of Dansk quality or not. It’s been on the care for at least 10-15 years I think

"Sixty percent of the time, it works every time!"
Danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2024, 08:56 AM   #6

Thank you for the info, I would like to get the louder dansk version just unsure if that one will have drone or not.
Old 08-28-2024, 08:58 AM   #7

I will check it out, thank you