Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2024, 09:33 AM   #1

Boxster 986 No start/ Camshaft Sensor Short to Ground P1397

I have a 1998 Boxster base that all of a sudden refuse to start after driving. I purchased the car about 3yrs ago and it wasn’t running at the time due to a faulty water pump and ignition switch. Once I replaced that, it has been running fine without any real issues. Up until about a month ago, I came home and backed in my driveway and turn it off. Then about 30min later I started it back up and put the car in my garage because I needed to replace the right rear hub and my handbrake cable. Then when I went to drive it the next day, it never started again. All it would do is crank. Sometimes I could get it to start if I press the gas a bunch of time and it would start but it was very very rough running and then it would die. From there, I’ve replaced the fuel pump, fuel pump relay, both Camshaft sensors, TPS, ICV, all ignition coils along with spark plugs. I did notice that my air box is cracked from one side to the other and doesn't seal properly. I ever checked the fuel pressure at the rail and it was good. It actually started one day last week and ran great for a little over a minute the shut off and wouldn’t restart. Now if I wait about 24hrs or so, it will actually began to start but dies immediately but 90% of the time when I crank it, it does not start. My Durametric software always gives the code P1397 every time I try the crank it. The code is short to ground so I purchased another DME & sent it and my current DME to Diagspeed USA to have to programmed last week and still no change. I ran new wires directly from the DME to the camshaft sensor behind the drivers side seat and still no change. So I saw another post on Rennlist of someone else having the same code and they mentioned to unplug the solenoid for Variable Cam Adjuster which is right next to the Camshaft sensor 2 & check the ohms. The ohms on the sensor were 13.2. Isn’t it supposed to be around 1ohm or so??

Last edited by clk430b; 08-18-2024 at 09:38 AM.
clk430b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2024, 11:32 AM   #2

Yes..........