Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2024, 09:14 PM   #1

Two more notches of oil

Hi all , I’ve asked AI how many quarts of oil I need to pour into engine to gain 2 notches on the digital display.

This was the answer :

“To add two notches to the digital oil level indicator on a Porsche 986 Boxster, you generally need to add about 1.0 to 1.5 quarts of oil, which is equivalent to 32 to 48 ounces. However, it's best to add the oil gradually and check the level frequently to avoid overfilling”

Do you fine humans confirm ?
Thanks much

Old 08-14-2024, 05:01 AM   #2

I can't confirm or deny, but I'd never trust AI with something like this. It's trained specifically to answer with full confidence regardless of whether it's correct. For example, Google AI told me a Fiat 500 Abarth has a curb weight of 3350lb, which is more than my wife's Honda CR-V. That's because it found the gross weight online and just regurgitated it with authoritative confidence. That's what it does. It only reads enough to think it's found your answer and then vomits the info it "found" back at you.

If you were having trouble finding the answer, it's far more likely that the AI stitched together various snippets of unrelated information. AI is a tool designed to drum up investor interest, its job is to sell itself, and it does that by talking with the full confidence of car salesman who guarantees that a Taycan Turbo does, in fact, have a turbocharger. In fact, it has two of them
S50Sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2024, 07:14 AM   #3

It's not rocket science territory, so don't overthink it.

If you're registering toward the low end of normal, just add like 1/2 quart, give it a day or so, park it somewhere flat, let it sit for a while, recheck.

Did you change your own oil last time it was done? Mine ('01 S) takes 9 - 9 1/3 quarts when I change it. I usually put in 9, then check.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2024, 07:14 AM   #4

I understand, @S50SINNER. AI can be as daunting as the internet was when it first emerged. Look at how far we've come since then. That said, do you have an answer to my original question? Thanks.
Old 08-14-2024, 07:20 AM   #5

Thanks, @FRODO. I haven’t changed the oil myself . The shop did about 2,000 miles, but I’ve noticed that the digital oil level has dropped by about 2 notches since then. I wanted to top it off back to where it was ( half way on the notches dials) I’ll follow your advice: add 1 quart, wait a day, and if necessary, add more to increase the level by 2 notches in total
Old 08-14-2024, 07:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stef914 View Post
Hi all , I’ve asked AI how many quarts of oil I need to pour into engine to gain 2 notches on the digital display.

This was the answer :

“To add two notches to the digital oil level indicator on a Porsche 986 Boxster, you generally need to add about 1.0 to 1.5 quarts of oil, which is equivalent to 32 to 48 ounces. However, it's best to add the oil gradually and check the level frequently to avoid overfilling”

Do you fine humans confirm ?
Thanks much
Not even close. The volume between each line is about 8 oz. (or 1 Cup), In Fact, the entire range on the Guage represents 1.5 Liters (or 1.6 US Qts.)

So much for the usefulness of AI..............
Old 08-14-2024, 07:45 AM   #7

I found this in the 1997 Service Information document.

Lowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2024, 08:32 AM   #8

@JFP_in_PA , @LOWSKI thanks !
Old 08-14-2024, 08:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stef914 View Post
I understand, @S50SINNER. AI can be as daunting as the internet was when it first emerged. Look at how far we've come since then. That said, do you have an answer to my original question? Thanks.
It seems like Frodo and JFP have you covered on the answer. I would fill it above the half-way mark, though. It's common practice to fill within 1-2 notches of the top of the display.

I want to clarify that I'm not against new tech, AI has its place in the world, mostly in the form of task-specific algorithms. I only meant to caution you (and/or future readers of this thread) that machine learning has a long way to go before it's reliable or predictable, and language models such as Chat GPT fall in that category as well.

When we let machines teach themselves, we relinquish control of what they learn, and we can't isolate specific data to un-teach it. So when language models learn to cheat on their tests by making guesses and spitting out some tangentially-related figures, or when it learns to give a better answer if threatened, we don't know why or how it learned that, and we can't go in and fix it like a manually-written algorithm, where you can read the code and type in corrections. Machine learning can create really interesting and versatile programs, just not very reliable ones yet.
S50Sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2024, 09:01 AM   #10

Unfortunately, AI has rapidly become a crutch for those too lazy to do their own detailed research.............
Old 08-14-2024, 10:42 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by S50Sinner View Post
It seems like Frodo and JFP have you covered on the answer. .
I smile at being lumped in with JFP, who's forgotten more about these cars than I'll ever hope to know!

But take note: I said add in 1/2 quart increments (that's 0.5 for you fraction-phobes out there), not full quarts.

I'll leave it to others to sort out the AI debate. I went to veterinary school, graduating in 1990. For me, anytime I see "AI" my first thought is still those huge bulls and stallions used for artificial insemination
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2024, 06:49 PM   #12

I shall renounce the use of AI for automotive matters and instead rely on the infinite wisdom of real people in this beautiful forum !
Old 08-15-2024, 03:18 AM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Not even close. The volume between each line is about 8 oz. (or 1 Cup), In Fact, the entire range on the Guage represents 1.5 Liters (or 1.6 US Qts.)

So much for the usefulness of AI..............
But but but AI sez…

Sigh