Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2024, 06:54 PM   #1
2000 986 & 1972 914

Passenger Side Window Won't Go Up?

Hey Gents,

I just finished replacing the alternator and was going to take my 2000 Boxstert out for a test drive and while my passenger side window was going down it stopped 2/3 of the way down and won't move???

I swapped the wiring on the switches to eliminate a bad switch, which didn't help. It's nighttime here in Miami and tomorrow will check the D1 fuse to see if I have continuity. I believe that not to be the problem because there is only one fuse to check for both windows - am I mistaken?

Is there a manual way to raise the window without damaging the window regulator? I plan on taking the door panel off and see if maybe a connection came loose?

Any words/direction in which to take would be appreciated.

martinef1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2024, 11:05 PM   #2

You’re correct that there's typically one fuse for the power windows, but it's still a good idea to check it. The fuse for the power windows is usually in the fuse box, and on the 2000 Boxster, it is often the D1 fuse. Verify the fuse is intact and check for continuity using a multimeter.
anatolewilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2024, 01:32 AM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by anatolewilson View Post
You’re correct that there's typically one fuse for the power windows, but it's still a good idea to check it. The fuse for the power windows is usually in the fuse box, and on the 2000 Boxster, it is often the D1 fuse. Verify the fuse is intact and check for continuity using a multimeter.

Is it just going to be all bots here now?
Bill Ladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2024, 05:40 AM   #4
2000 986 & 1972 914

Quote:
Originally Posted by anatolewilson View Post
No luck. Checked for continuity and while I was down there checked all the fuses.

Is there a way I can manually put the window up until I can break the door down and check the window motor?

I live in Miami and its that time of year, daily showers.

thanks,
Old 07-30-2024, 07:10 AM   #5

I just installed a new window regulator in my passenger door. Based on that experience there’s not much to see or access without taking the inner door liner off along with the vapor barrier. You could try gently pulling up on the glass while pushing the up window button and see how it moves.

Without getting in the door it's tough to tell if you have a failure of the window regulator, a failed motor or a lack of power to the motor.
Lowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2024, 07:48 AM   #6
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinef1963 View Post
...Is there a way I can manually put the window up until I can break the door down and check the window motor? ...,
If it failed in the process of going down, my guess would be a bad regulator. If the regulator cable isn't badly jammed you can move the window by hand while working the switch.

This video is about the door latch, but it will be helpful for removing the door panel:
Old 07-30-2024, 09:45 AM   #7
2000 986 & 1972 914

CASED CLOSED. I found the culprit - it was the connector to the window motor. Not a bad connector, just the mechanism that supposedly CLIP on the window motor, both sides are bad and I'll assume the vibration kept jarring it off the motor causing a bad connection.

Noting some zip ties and electrical tape could not fix. Had to do it twice because it came loose again after the initial fix.

Anyways, to all that asked & shared - much appreciated! This is a great forum of knowledgeable and helpful patrons.

Much appreciated.
Old 07-31-2024, 05:34 AM   #8
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinef1963 View Post
CASED CLOSED. I found the culprit - it was the connector to the window motor. Not a bad connector, just the mechanism that supposedly CLIP on the window motor, both sides are bad and I'll assume the vibration kept jarring it off the motor causing a bad connection.

Noting some zip ties and electrical tape could not fix. Had to do it twice because it came loose again after the initial fix.

Anyways, to all that asked & shared - much appreciated! This is a great forum of knowledgeable and helpful patrons.

Much appreciated.
Awesome! Nice $ave!