Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2024, 07:07 PM   #1

manual-converted convertible top questions

Hello, I have a 2001 boxster that I converted to a manual convertible top some time ago. I pulled out the top transmissions and motor which gave me a warning light and then I jumped the wires that used to be connected to the transmission on the left side to get the light to go off.

I believe that jumping these wires made the top think it is always closed, which is an issue because opening the latch to put the top down prevents me from rolling the windows up all the way when the top is down.

Has anyone managed to fix this issue? Perhaps removing the top relay, or somehow soldering the latch microswitch to think its always closed?

Thanks!

alexc0814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 09:22 AM   #2
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
It sounds like the issue is either with the microswitch in the latch above the windshield or the top relay. Poke the place where the latch hooks to see if it is not being pushed far enough when you close the top. Sometimes the microswitch comes loose.

It's been a while since I had a manual top, but I'm pretty sure that removing the relay will prevent the windows from partially opening.

Last edited by 78F350; 02-21-2024 at 09:38 AM.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 10:58 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
It sounds like the issue is either with the microswitch in the latch above the windshield or the top relay. Poke the place where the latch hooks to see if it is not being pushed far enough when you close the top. Sometimes the microswitch comes loose.

It's been a while since I had a manual top, but I'm pretty sure that removing the relay will prevent the windows from partially opening.
Thanks for the reply. It sounds like what I want to do then is to remove the top relay. to be clear I’m not having issues when the top is closed with the windows closing all the way, but since my top has been converted to manual, it doesn’t register when it’s fully down and therefore never let me close the windows when the top is down.
Old 02-22-2024, 10:10 AM   #4

Just wanted to give an update- pulling the top relay fixed my issue:

the windows no longer drop when the top is unlatched allowing me to keep the windows fully up with a manual top, but once the top is re-latched the windows do come up automatically which is nice. There's also no convertible top warning light after pulling the relay!
Old 02-22-2024, 01:52 PM   #5

sounds like the old Boxster "little red clip" would solve your problems similarly and allow windows to dip slightly when top is being raised / lowered.

Two reasons (among many I'm sure) most cabs dip windows is to:
  1. prevent any undo pressure on windows while top opens/closes
  2. ensure windows seat properly into top seal/channel once closed
Shouldn't be issues w you manually raising/lowering but suggest you still dip thwindows a few inches before opening or closing..

Regardless, glad you were able to resolve issue - nice job
Old 02-22-2024, 02:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burg Boxster View Post
sounds like the old Boxster "little red clip" would solve your problems similarly and allow windows to dip slightly when top is being raised / lowered.

Two reasons (among many I'm sure) most cabs dip windows is to:
  1. prevent any undo pressure on windows while top opens/closes
  2. ensure windows seat properly into top seal/channel once closed
Shouldn't be issues w you manually raising/lowering but suggest you still dip thwindows a few inches before opening or closing..

Regardless, glad you were able to resolve issue - nice job

Seems like something went wrong, or something super coincidental happened.

When I latched my top in (for the second or third time without a relay) my central locking system light went red and the horn double beeped, along with the passenger side window not dropping when the door opens.

I had this exact issue last year but replacing the passenger door lock fixed it. I put the top relay back in after but nothing changed unfortunately. I think this may be coincidental since today was the first very warm day, which is when the issue was most prevalent last year on my old door lock too. The issue is accompanied with a double beep on unlock.