Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2006, 12:46 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Oh yeah! What a difference!

The day finally came,I'M AMBER FREE! What a difference,my dad even said it looks newer just by the simple swap. I tried to take it out to take some photos but that didn't turn out so well due to the night. I will defianetely take more pictures tommorow if it doesn't rain here. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND DEAMBERING FOR ANY pre-03' Boxsters. I just attached some pictures of the car in the garage,old ambers,no eyes then new clear halogens. I just attached one of the pics for the heck of it even though it didn't turn out as planned. By the way if anyone wants a great deal on some old amber halogen headlights shoot me a PM. :dance:

Old 11-28-2006, 03:05 AM   #2
FIG

Sweet!!!!
FIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 03:28 AM   #3
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Congrats. I remember the day I finally got my clear halogens. It transformed the car. At first my wife thought why would you want to pay extra money for lights that don't perform any better than the present ones just for the sake of getting rid of the amber color at the bottom edge of the light, but after I installed them, she understood. The amber lenses stick out like bicycle reflectors and distract you from the graceful lines of the car.

Later, I got the Litronics, and it made even a bigger difference, not only with the extra night vision, but I hated being at a stoplight next to a Toyota Prius, Nissan Maxima, or Mini Cooper with Xenons. IMO, Porsche should offer the Xenons as standard equipment, as Nissan does with their Maxima.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 09:17 AM   #4

Hi,

Looks Good! But, I think it depends on the car's color. Personally, I like the Amber on my Guards Red and have no plans to change it, but the Clear does look better on your car...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 09:26 AM   #5

This is one of those things that only exists in the minds of car people.

They just look at a car differently and thing that would never bother the average perfectly normal person who appreciates finer things will drive a car guy absolutely nuts.

I think My Litronics were the lowest bang for the buck of any mod I have ever done to a car. For an urban driver there is ZERO added benefit, just cooler looks from onlookers who notice your 'euro HID' lights which are becoming even more common now that many Japanese come with them STOCK.
Worlds less bang than top drawer tires, not even close to the added visual effect of side skirting, Replica Carrera 5 spokes would make a bigger impact and a $400 V1-ticket beating-detector will keep your insurance lower.
p.s.
Don't sell the amber lights. I guarantee you'll get your money back if you decide to sell the clears seperately when you unload the car to the new owner. Adn you'll be lucky to get $80 for ambers ones. I used the $500+ for the clear Halognes to pay for the $1100 Litronics.

p.s.s
you have to do the amberectomy now Binkwatt!! I did it on the clear halogens, kind of a pain but the silver bulbs and no orange internal reflector made the difference. I believe there was a Boxster owner who did a whole page about it.
here it is..
http://hverheyen.vssi-eda.com/box_pics/lights/index.html

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 11-28-2006 at 11:12 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 09:37 AM   #6

Last night I was forced to drive an hour out of town in misty rain. I had the top up of course, and the tunes blaring (wife was not along, fortunately, or I'd have been forced to play crappy music at low volumes and drive slowly).

My litronics were supurb as I drove down dark country roads. My new Michelin PS2's were grippy in the rain, and I was feeling very safe and secure, even driving on a small freeway in wet weather at 75 mph.

Debate the litronics or tire thing all you want, but having both is priceless!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 10:45 AM   #7
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
[QUOTE=RandallNeighbour] (wife was not along, fortunately, or I'd have been forced to play crappy music at low volumes and drive slowly).
QUOTE]

LOL! That is too funny! I too, have to drive slower and listen to the radio with the volumes low when wifey is in the car.

And I agree- I used to drive at night with both my halogen headlights and the fog lights on because I didn't feel I got enough illumination from the low beams alone. Now, with the Litronics, I don't need the fogs any longer.

To me, having the HIDs say that you have the latest in technology on your car. Even the Vettes switched from the cool looking pop up headlight configuration to the fixed headlamp format so that they could add in HIDs.

But hey, at roughly half the price of Litronics, the clear halogens give big bang for the buck cause they look just as good as the Litronics...in the daytime!

Old 11-28-2006, 10:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy
But hey, at roughly half the price of Litronics, the clear halogens give big bang for the buck cause they look just as good as the Litronics...in the daytime!
I was considering the LItronics but then I saw how much work & drilling was needed to add Litronics. A shop quoted me at $300 to install them.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:01 AM   #9
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
I was considering the LItronics but then I saw how much work & drilling was needed to add Litronics. A shop quoted me at $300 to install them.
They're plug and play if you don't care about the swivel up feature when you put on the high beams. The low beam xenons work fine just popping in the headlight without doing anything else.

With the wiring installed, the litronics swivel up when you put on the high beams to help the high beam lights illuminate even more on the road, but I found that without the swivel up, there's still plenty of light, so I didn't bother. The other function the wiring provides (level sensing) doesn't work unless factory installed because there are sensors that go to the wheel axle to determine initial leveling.

You can still sell your halogens on fleabay for up to $600 and get Litronics for $900 (one set just sold for $910 IIRC).

Old 11-28-2006, 11:04 AM   #10

$300 hundred???
They slide in just like the Halogens, 5 minutes installation.
You have to manually adjust the height of the light into a fixed
position with a metric hex wrench or something. That's it..
The $300 couldn't have been for autoleveling because that can
only be done at the factory, its not possible as a hack.
I think the added harness for the Litronics (which I didn't install)
is so that when you switch on the high beams you keep both your
low and high beams on at the same time. That's not worth $300
Old 11-28-2006, 11:08 AM   #11
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
$300 hundred???
They slide in just like the Halogens, 5 minutes installation.
You have to manually adjust the height of the light into a fixed
position with a metric hex wrench or something. That's it..
The $300 couldn't have been for autoleveling because that can
only be done at the factory, its not possible as a hack.
I think the added harness for the Litronics (which I didn't install)
is so that when you switch on the high beams you keep both your
low and high beams on at the same time. That's not worth $300
Nope- the wiring harness is used to swivel up the litronics 5 degrees to help the highbeams illuminate even more. Without the harness installed, you still get low beam litronics and high beam halogens that light up at the same time, just not the low beam swivel up in conjunction with high beam. I found I didn't need this feature, so I didn't install the harness.

Old 11-28-2006, 11:10 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
This is one of those things that only exists in the minds of car people.

They just look at a car differently and thing that would never bother the average perfectly normal person who appreciates finer things will drive a car guy absolutely nuts...

Hi,

I couldn't disagree more with those statements. Anyone who doesn't think that I'm a Car Guy, just doesn't know me at all.

It's not a Car Guy thing at all, but rather, it's the Peacock Effect - showing off to others. That's OK, lots of people need that satisfaction.

I like the Amber lights. On Guards Red it makes the car more interesting, breaks up the lines. Personal Preference.

My car is a '99, a 1st generation Boxster. I don't want to upgrade it's look to a poser '03> or 911. I like having the 1st Gen car. You may disagree, and that's fine. But, don't label someone as not being a Car Guy just because they do not like them, that's silly.

The Litronics are nice, but not absolutely necessary. The Halogens provide more than enough illumination to drive by. If you have an accident, you can't blame the lighting in all but the most rare cases, so rare in fact, that 99.9% of all drivers will never encounter one. Everyone I read who complains, complains more about the Cambrys and Accords having them while the Boxster does not, so again, the Peacock Effect is in play here as well.

I'd love to have HIDs as standard, but since they are not, I won't spend what amounts to a new set of Tires and several Oil Changes to get them. And, that's what a real Car Guy would say...

MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 11:15 AM   #13
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

I'd love to have HIDs as standard, but since they are not, I won't spend what amounts to a new set of Tires and several Oil Changes to get them. And, that's what a real Car Guy would say...

I got my Litronics for free when a friend with the same car sold his car and told me I could come over to swap out my clear halogens for his Litronics.

Old 11-28-2006, 11:24 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
I like the Amber lights. On Guards Red it makes the car more interesting, breaks up the lines. Personal Preference.
I 100% agree w/ amber on Gaurds Red and that limited color green that came out along w/ Zenith Blue. In my opinoin it just fits the car better.

That aside here are some better pics of my car taken a few minutes ago. Man oh man do I like the car amber free!
Old 11-28-2006, 11:31 AM   #15
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
I 100% agree w/ amber on Gaurds Red and that limited color green that came out along w/ Zenith Blue. In my opinoin it just fits the car better.

That aside here are some better pics of my car taken a few minutes ago. Man oh man do I like the car amber free!
Zenith is a beautiful color. Looks great with the clears.

Old 11-28-2006, 11:38 AM   #16

I wasn't suggesting that you aren't a car guy.

I was saying that the clear headlights, clear parking lights, clear tailights, etc. thing is completely lost on people who aren't enthusiasts and appreciated by
MOST people who are enthusiasts. I shouldn't have been so general in my earlier statement.

The preference of MOST people who are enthusiasts, including designers apparently, of an amber free environment seems to have encouraged
the manufacturers of sports cars to find other ways to conform with DOT
regualtions requiring an orange blinking light, parking light, etc.
and most have completely phased amber out of the exterior light housing.

deambering was also big when I had my Miata so its something that bothers people across different brands. I tend to agree that a neutral color has different effect than a more visible color like bright orange.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:42 AM   #17

Does anyone know where I can get some type of clear cover bra of some sort for the headlights?
Old 11-28-2006, 11:49 AM   #18
blkboxster

the only differnce in the bottom section where it used to be orange,did any thing else chang,btw look really good
Old 11-28-2006, 11:54 AM   #19

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
My car has the factory litronics already and I love them. This is my first time driving with these types of headlights and they are so much better than halogen bulbs, especially in incliment weather. But that's just my opinion.

The amber-free car looks great. After Christmas that's what I'm doing to my Box. Clear markers and new tail lights.

It's not about the summit, it's about the climb.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/chills1138/2.jpg
Chills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 12:04 PM   #20

Quote:
Does anyone know where I can get some type of clear cover bra of some sort for the headlights?
Stonguard makes a fairly thick clear bra for the headlights. I think EagleDay sells the covers for about $75. Careful with the install, its easy to get air pockets.
I picked up a set on Ebay but haven't installed them. These weren't nearly as thick
but only cost like $30.

I once had an incident with a piece of concrete that fell of an overpass and luckily broke the corner triangle and not the housing. A struck of unbelieveable good luck.