Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2023, 09:58 AM   #1

986 Roof -operating ok but in reverse / backwards!

I have a 1999 986 and recently the transmission gears on one side broke.. I decided to take the clamshell off and take both sides apart to ensure the other side was ok. After repairing the bad gears I re-assembled everything and it works fine. The only problem is that the roof switch operates backwards ie: by pressing down on the switch open icon it closes and the opposite happens when I press the close icon. Any ideas?

renmedinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 10:51 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by renmedinc View Post
I have a 1999 986 and recently the transmission gears on one side broke.. I decided to take the clamshell off and take both sides apart to ensure the other side was ok. After repairing the bad gears I re-assembled everything and it works fine. The only problem is that the roof switch operates backwards ie: by pressing down on the switch open icon it closes and the opposite happens when I press the close icon. Any ideas?
Reverse the wiring; it is a DC motor...................
Old 10-11-2023, 07:44 AM   #3

Thanks JFP in PA.. I thought about this and it can be easily done at either the B-Pillar connecter or at the motor itself however I prefer to find the root cause of the issue. Something caused this to happen.
Old 10-11-2023, 05:24 PM   #4

Any chance during the repair process you messed with the switch on the dash? I can't remember if the connector is keyed or not but it'd certainly be a spot that might make thing run opposite.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 02:57 PM   #5

Thanks dghii .. your comment got me thinking and I did replace the switch. Maybe the replacement part had the icon cover reversed. I took it apart and reversed it .. life is good .. works as designed..
Old 10-12-2023, 06:04 PM   #6

So there you go! Good deal.

dghii is offline   Reply With Quote