Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2023, 10:55 AM   #1

Coolant leak!

I was driving home from work this evening and started hearing a graunching noise and then the coolant light started flashing. As I was determined to get home and the temperature gauge was reading fine I decided to drive the remaining 10 miles home. When I parked up on my drive fluid started streaming out from in front of the rear left wheel. The boot seems to be dry so I have a feeling that the water pump may have gone.

Has anyone else experienced this?

HEC2907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 05:23 AM   #2
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEC2907 View Post
I was driving home from work this evening and started hearing a graunching noise and then the coolant light started flashing. As I was determined to get home and the temperature gauge was reading fine I decided to drive the remaining 10 miles home. When I parked up on my drive fluid started streaming out from in front of the rear left wheel. The boot seems to be dry so I have a feeling that the water pump may have gone.

Never. Ever.

/S

A million times. Happened to me. No biggy.

Use the search function for the forum. It's been covered so many times... SO MANY TIMES... that you may not receive a prompt response.

Use the search feature. Als... that noise yoou heard??? I wouldn't be driving the car. Sounds like your water pump failed... or you broke your belt. Take a peek.

Welcome to the club.

Last edited by Starter986; 09-20-2023 at 05:25 AM. Reason: Need a manicure
Starter986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 11:55 AM   #3
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
...started hearing a graunching noise and then the coolant light started flashing...
There are plenty of places where coolant can leak from; coolant cap, hoses, pump, heater core... BUT the only one that will graunch is the pump. There are things that will graunch, but will not leak coolant.

If nothing obvious presented by looking under the car, I'd remove the engine access panel behind the seats and see if the water pump is wonky.
Old 09-22-2023, 08:00 AM   #4

coolant

Also check the coolant expansion tank in the trunk. They are notorious for developing "spider cracks" that only start to leak as the coolant gets hot and the coolant system pressure builds up. When cold the "spider cracks" are almost impossible to detect.

Make sure you remove the truck carpeting completely and if you have a false raised trunk under the carpet make sure you remove that too. You need to get down to the metal trunk bottom. You might find (as I did yrs ago) small pools of coolant sitting there, ready to slosh around and find gaps to drip onto your garage floor.

Long story short, 10 years ago I replaced my then 15 year old coolant tank and water pump once I discovered pooled coolant in the trunk and spots on my garage floor.
Old 09-30-2023, 03:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEC2907 View Post

My 986 had almost identical symptoms. It was the water pump. I replaced the pump and thermostat and had no more leaking -- until the heater core started leaking. When I replaced the heater core I examined all the hoses to forestall additional leaks. So far, so good.

5-speed manual
LoneWolfGal is offline   Reply With Quote