Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2023, 11:01 PM   #1

Sad day.. hit n run

Hello, a long time lurker here.

I have a beautiful yellow Boxster that I love, but after parking it in the street for a first time in a year someone hit and ran.

I did notify my insurance so not a huge problem, but I couldn’t grasp what may have hit it. Any ideas? Photos attached. Thanks!

cmh_lcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 02:13 AM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
You backed into something made of bumpy concrete.

That's not a hit.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 08:52 AM   #3

Garage
Concrete does leave a mark like that. Perhaps a moving curb? Or a concrete mixer?
Homeoboxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 09:42 AM   #4

It could be, that someone with a trailer hitch backed up into your car..? :-(
Gilles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 12:24 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
You backed into something made of bumpy concrete.

That's not a hit.
Strange piece of concrete... it bent in the upper part but only scratched the bottom part. I would have to be something convex.
1987 924S 5-speed (Sold) - Blue 2000 Boxster 5 spd (Sold)
elgyqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 03:33 PM   #6
On the slippery slope

Garage
It will buff out. No problem
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 04:53 PM   #7
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgyqc View Post
Strange piece of concrete... it bent in the upper part but only scratched the bottom part. I would have to be something convex.
I don't know what you're thinking, but in the original posters photo, it's clear that he backed into a curb or park stop. Those are "convex", by the way.

Those are actually fairly common and not at all a "strange piece of concrete".

I've seen this exact thing many times. Comes with age and experience.
This is day one dad stuff.
Old 08-01-2023, 11:52 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
I don't know what you're thinking, but in the original posters photo, it's clear that he backed into a curb or park stop. Those are "convex", by the way.

OK you got me on that one... I was wondering why the lower element was not bent/broken but in looking at it again I see that it is set back a bit and could bend rather than breaking.
I'm not a dad so I guess there are things I will never get
1987 924S 5-speed (Sold) - Blue 2000 Boxster 5 spd (Sold)
elgyqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 07:08 PM   #9

Quote:

Oh that makes no sense at all. These…

…are not tall enough to cause that damage. And even if they were, they’d cause a more symmetrical indentation, left to right, than what we’ve got here.

Seems pretty clear to me that something VERY rounded and fairly narrow (like, as Gilles suggests, the ball of a trailer hitch) pushed into this. And if it happened to be a hitch mounted on a pickup being backed in at an angle, it might potentially even explain the two deep scratches at the level above the top of the rear license plate.

I’ve got “dad status” as well, and I wouldn’t have charged my kids (back when they were kids, just starting to drive) with responsibility for this. Not based on the evidence at hand here.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 09:06 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
(like, as Gilles suggests, the ball of a trailer hitch) pushed into this.
What would another car be doing on the street with its rear end facing the rear end of the Porsche? Also, a ball would leave a much smoother mark, not rough like this one. To me, something like a concrete post makes more sense:

Homeoboxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 09:33 PM   #11
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
Oh that makes no sense at all. These…

…are not tall enough to cause that damage.

Wrong.

He backed into some concrete, a large rock or similar.
Clearly.

Your picture shows a much bigger (higher) vehicle, so I feel you're being purposely deceptive for the sake of being argumentative.
A ball hitch would be much higher, like on top of the trunk, just like we've seen posted here many times over the decades.

That rear valance ground clearance should be right at 5.5".
Do you still have a Boxster? You don't seem to remember how low these cars are.

How do I know? We've seen it posted here and on rennlist several times over the last 15-20 years and the damage is identical. I'd look up and repost pictures, but you'd still argue and I have better things to do, so I'll pass. You can look for yourself.

Case Closed.

Last edited by particlewave; 08-01-2023 at 09:36 PM.
Old 08-02-2023, 03:31 AM   #12
PLP

Long discussion about the only one and the very first post with highly questionable reasoning.

This low - hit and run? Only Lambo could do that. Yet I think they would stop.

Previous: 2014 Fiat 500e, 2016 KIA Forte5 SX, 2016 Fiat 500X, and some old days: Trabant, Fiat 126p...
PLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 03:48 AM   #13
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Wrong.

He backed into some concrete, a large rock or similar.
Clearly.

Your picture shows a much bigger (higher) vehicle, so I feel you're being purposely deceptive for the sake of being argumentative.
A ball hitch would be much higher, like on top of the trunk, just like we've seen posted here many times over the decades.

That rear valance ground clearance should be right at 5.5".
Do you still have a Boxster? You don't seem to remember how low these cars are.

How do I know? We've seen it posted here and on rennlist several times over the last 15-20 years and the damage is identical. I'd look up and repost pictures, but you'd still argue and I have better things to do, so I'll pass. You can look for yourself.

Case Closed.
A good morning to you, Particlewave. Nice to see your return...

Case is closed.

Was peeking under my car yesterday (10 codes research), and noticed just how scraped up were my difffusers. They do sit low... aand likely I backed up too closely to those parking lot concrete pieces.

Too low for a trailer ball hitch. OP, you backed into something. Not rocket science. Concrete didn't back into you. Go get it fixed and return with more challenging inquiries.

447A/2 cups coffee
Old 08-02-2023, 04:28 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeoboxter View Post
What would another car be doing on the street with its rear end facing the rear end of the Porsche?
Oh I've seen all kinds of wacky scenarios and odd behavior by people on the street. Including people parked briefly facing the the wrong way on a street because that put them in the direction they ultimately wanted to go and they were too lazy to turn around twice. Or even someone doing a sloppy job of backing out of a driveway, turning, and having their butts too far over into the far side of a narrow street. People get in a hurry, do irrational (aka stupid) things. You know it happens.

Quote:

My picture wasn't chosen to be “purposely deceptive” or "argumentative." It simply shows how low a curb is relative to a tire generally. Now, the OP didn’t tell us the degree to which he may/may not have lowered his Boxster and, inconveniently, there’s no tape measure included in the pic. You say the low end of the valance should be at 5.5". But in his pic it's level with the bottom of his exhaust tips which, on my car, are at about 7 3/4". Did he lower his car that much? I dunno. In any case, you know generally speaking these cars get safely backed up to park stops and (normal) curbs all the time. Which is why I responded to your post the way I did.

And yes, as mentioned I do still have my Boxster. Going on 18 years now. In that I drive it several times a week, I've certainly not forgotten how low it is.

Quote:
People have to keep in mind that hitches come in all flavors. They’re not limited to being attached to monster trucks for hauling humongous loads. In fact I just used this one a couple days ago on a cute little rental trailer from UHaul.…

Altitude-wise, looks pretty darn close don’t it?

Now the other explanation you, in your most recent post, mention ("a large rock")...now that, I have to admit, that's one I could probably be talked into buying. Unlike curbs and park stops and light posts, rocks can jut out in all kinds of irregular directions and at variable levels. That definitely could make sense. That would explain the roughness of the paint lesion as well.

Quote:

Case Closed.
It is? You said it, so it must be so, haha. You funny, pw. (That goes for you too, starter.)
Old 08-02-2023, 05:26 AM   #15
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Is it not obvious? He had a blow out sled into the crub hit 2 fents 2 burshes 4 brick and a trash can.
Old 08-02-2023, 05:49 AM   #16

That was my original thought on the matter. But I just enjoy getting purposely deceptive and argumentative with some of the other clowns that show their faces around here..
Old 08-02-2023, 06:22 AM   #17
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
Is it not obvious? He had a blow out sled into the crub hit 2 fents 2 burshes 4 brick and a trash can.
Excellent graphic representation of what occurred. This drawing should be entered into evidence when the accident investigation is performed during the inevitable law suit that will no doubt take place. Lately sueing someone for everything and anything seems to be a national pastime.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 06:38 AM   #18
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
Blast from the past right there.

2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote