Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2023, 12:35 PM   #1

Garage
Durametric Experts - Can I read codes with engine out of car?

So I have my new Durametric and yet I'm still several months away from having the engine back in the car but I would love to read overrevs and cam deviation and other error codes or problems right now and so my question is if this is possible? I know I would have to install the ECU, reconnect battery and then turn the ignition on and probably other things too. Is this possible without damaging the ECU or any other electronics? Or is this even worthwhile? Are there any other things that might be relevant and good to know before I reinstall the engine? Or should I just wait until it's back together and running again?

Car is 2000 986S, 6 speed manual.
Durametric is Professional version.

Thanks.

87 Alfa Romeo Milano
77 Alfa Romeo Alfetta Sedan
nuvolari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 12:48 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuvolari View Post
So I have my new Durametric and yet I'm still several months away from having the engine back in the car but I would love to read overrevs and cam deviation and other error codes or problems right now and so my question is if this is possible? I know I would have to install the ECU, reconnect battery and then turn the ignition on and probably other things too. Is this possible without damaging the ECU or any other electronics? Or is this even worthwhile? Are there any other things that might be relevant and good to know before I reinstall the engine? Or should I just wait until it's back together and running again?

Car is 2000 986S, 6 speed manual.
Durametric is Professional version.

Thanks.
Can you do it? Yes. Do you really want to do it? Perhaps not.

Unless you have literally everything in the car's wiring harness connected, and as soon as you power up the DME it is going to be fault code city. And you can only read cam deviation values with the engine running............
Old 05-11-2023, 11:06 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Can you do it? Yes. Do you really want to do it? Perhaps not.

Unless you have literally everything in the car's wiring harness connected, and as soon as you power up the DME it is going to be fault code city. And you can only read cam deviation values with the engine running............
Ah, yes, engine running for cam dev....of course. Thanks for the clarity on all of this as I just wasn't sure if I would end up finding that I could have checked something at this point to save a future problem. Looking forward to getting this car going again....

Thanks!

87 Alfa Romeo Milano
77 Alfa Romeo Alfetta Sedan
nuvolari is offline   Reply With Quote