Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2023, 03:56 AM   #1

Where is the best source for understanding sound system?

I’ve read far too many threads and still don’t understand the challenges to putting after market stereo equipment in a 986. It doesn’t seam you can just slaps in a head for double din from crutch and call it a day…or can you?

Any good tell all threads or websites to understand DSP, digital amps, conversion wires..even if I gut and start over what arecth3 challenges with OEM speakers and amps?

Thx.

Carboncow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 05:54 AM   #2

Garage
It all depends on which year you have, and which stereo.

For 1997-2002 it’s easy, you can buy an aftermarket head unit and install. With those years however it’s trickier if you have Bose as aftermarket HUs can introduce sound quality issues trying to work with Bose.

If, like me you have a 2003/04 with Bose then you’re SOL with aftermarket unless you did like I did and install a MOST-compatible bluetooth receiver, or the $1300 Porsche PCCM+ touchscreen unit. IF however you don’t have Bose (no door speakers) you can still install an aftermarket HU. But 03/04s without Bose are less common.

Double DIN is straightforward, just need the correct adapter kits and have to move the HVAC panel to the lower console. but again if you have a MOST fiber optic car, you’re limited - UNLESS you want to completely replace the Bose amp, speakers, and some wiring.

More wrinkles:
  • DSP, yes/no?
  • Know your radios: CDR220, CDR23, CDR24 etc
  • PCM 2.1? factory navigation?

Best bet is to know what options/year you have and target specific searches around that.
Old 05-07-2023, 07:20 AM   #3

Great into. I'm in the 1999-2000 world. Pro explains why Crutchfield "seems" to have solution for me then.

I remember being confused 10+ years ago when I had a 1997, kept bumping into the digital discussion and that it applied.

What does the DSP do to the discussion?

Someone needs to write the definitive guide for all 986/987 topics for beginners. You sound like the guy!
Old 05-07-2023, 07:25 AM   #4

Not that easy, apparently

Took my 2003 Base 986 to a local shop I have worked with in the past to have the audio upgraded in this car. He called back an hour later and said to come get it. He couldn't deal with it.

I was on the phone with Crutchfield, who couldn't deal with the fact mine has the rear speaker set up. None of their documentation shows a 2.7 with door speakers and rear speakers in a non-Bose configuration. They will help you bypass the amp in front.

Finally, I found a place in Roseville, CA who specializes in upgrading Porsches (CAI) and am going there to have the work done. It ain't cheap either, brother.
CenCal Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 12:39 PM   #5

The DSP needs to remain connected, from what I've found. I just installed a double-din this weekend (Pioneer AVIC) and I have a 2000 S with premium sound but not Bose. I have the dash, doors, and rear speaker deck. I just tucked the DSP behind the cubby and left it plugged in. I might have done something wrong because my rear speakers aren't putting out much sound at all, but the rest seems to be working.

Driving this car makes me wish I lived farther away from work!
Troy.Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 02:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy.Boxster View Post
The DSP needs to remain connected, from what I've found. I just installed a double-din this weekend (Pioneer AVIC) and I have a 2000 S with premium sound but not Bose. I have the dash, doors, and rear speaker deck. I just tucked the DSP behind the cubby and left it plugged in. I might have done something wrong because my rear speakers aren't putting out much sound at all, but the rest seems to be working.
See this is what I"m talking about. Reading these 1001 "tales" is very difficult to understand the issues. One of you guys out there has all the info in your head!
Old 05-07-2023, 05:11 PM   #7

https://cai-store.com/pages/install-how-to-articles-for-996-986

The link I posted above is just one example of the many resources available. Over the years, I've added rear speakers, a double DIN head unit and upgraded my dash and door speakers. My most recent (and probably last audio) project on my 986 involved upgrading my door speakers and adding an amp to power them: http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/82820-door-speakers.html

I think your first step should be to decide on the goals for your upgrade. For example, are you aiming for good sound or an audiophile grade system? Do you want features such as a backup camera and Apple CarPlay or Android Audio? After you decide what you want to achieve, I suggest that you search this forum and other Porsche forums and YouTube. You should be able to find information from someone who had the same goals for their system as you do. You can use their projects and instructions as resources.

Personally, I found that the stock speakers in my 986 sounded terrible and the lack of rear speakers magnified the deficiencies. Replacing the speakers in the dash and doors and adding rear speakers made a huge improvement for me. There are many people who had higher goals and were willing to spend the money to meet those goals. My thought is that there are diminishing returns on high investments because the Boxster is a fairly noisy car, and it will be difficult to hear minor improvements. However, I will say that when I listen to the audio system with the hard top on the car, I can hear more than with the top down or with the soft top up.

Good luck with your projects. Working on a 1999 or 2000 model Boxster makes your task easier.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console

Last edited by KevinH1990; 05-07-2023 at 05:19 PM.
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 02:33 AM   #8
Registered Member

As KevinH1990 did, I installed the rear speakers and replaced the door and dash speakers. I have an 03 Boxster, so dealing with MOST and, for some strange reason, I want to keep the dash looking stock (or at least period correct). I also added a cheapie Bluetooth box - one that goes inline in the antenna lead.

Doing those things definitely help sound quality. That said, if I have the top down, or the windows open, and I am driving at speed, I don’t even bother to try. It’s a very noisy environment, playing the stereo loudly enough to actually hear it just isn’t practical, not the least due to how badly I’ve already trashed my hearing.
Old 05-10-2023, 08:15 AM   #9

Most 2007-2002 with the copper wiring--not fiber optic like 2003-4--featured option code 490, which gets you a 4X40 auxiliary amp and woofer speakers in the doors.

So, it's not just "plug and play" to install an aftermarket head unit.

That said because many aftermarket units advertise greater than 40 watts per channel and you're likely not inclined to run amp out connectors to the original 40 watts auxiliary amp.

In addition, the original 4 channel auxiliary amp devotes two channels to the door speakers and includes a crossover circuit that only sends bass tones to the door speakers ... which are woofers. Those woofers wont perform as you wish with direct wiring from your new head unit. You may have noticed that the fader control on your original radio does nothing ... that's because you don't have rear speakers. The door woofers are not rear speakers.

The complete factory installation would have included rear speakers in the rear parcel shelf, which was yet another option, very much seldom ever ordered.

Note that your original radio is a made in Germany Becker, standard on Porsche, Mercedes, and Ferrari in the era and very likely a higher quality unit that you'll find in today's aftermarket.

In the era the 911 (996) came with the same radio and standard with rear speakers (also the door woofers) and the auxiliary amp was 6X40 and there were different versions of that amp for coupes versus cabrios. The fader works when rear speakers are present.

A really nice setup for your Boxster is to install rear shelf speakers along with the 6X40 996 auxiliary amp, cabrio version. I did this, and the door woofer performance was increased along with the rest. As it is, you don't have speakers suitable for an aftermarket head unit and that would be an additional expense and it you are interested in sound you would want the rear shelf speakers in any event. It's pretty easy and successful and more economical to find the 911 amp on eBay and install the rear speakers. It's likely all you need.

Note: your original wiring harness radio to aux amp already includes six channels. You just need to identify the amp output to speakers terminals for the rear shelf items and add them to the amp out connector.

2007 GL320 CDI, 2010 CL550
2 BMW motorcycles

Last edited by lkchris; 05-10-2023 at 08:20 AM.
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote