View Single Post
Old 05-07-2023, 05:11 PM   #7
KevinH1990

https://cai-store.com/pages/install-how-to-articles-for-996-986

The link I posted above is just one example of the many resources available. Over the years, I've added rear speakers, a double DIN head unit and upgraded my dash and door speakers. My most recent (and probably last audio) project on my 986 involved upgrading my door speakers and adding an amp to power them: http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/82820-door-speakers.html

I think your first step should be to decide on the goals for your upgrade. For example, are you aiming for good sound or an audiophile grade system? Do you want features such as a backup camera and Apple CarPlay or Android Audio? After you decide what you want to achieve, I suggest that you search this forum and other Porsche forums and YouTube. You should be able to find information from someone who had the same goals for their system as you do. You can use their projects and instructions as resources.

Personally, I found that the stock speakers in my 986 sounded terrible and the lack of rear speakers magnified the deficiencies. Replacing the speakers in the dash and doors and adding rear speakers made a huge improvement for me. There are many people who had higher goals and were willing to spend the money to meet those goals. My thought is that there are diminishing returns on high investments because the Boxster is a fairly noisy car, and it will be difficult to hear minor improvements. However, I will say that when I listen to the audio system with the hard top on the car, I can hear more than with the top down or with the soft top up.

Good luck with your projects. Working on a 1999 or 2000 model Boxster makes your task easier.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console

Last edited by KevinH1990; 05-07-2023 at 05:19 PM.
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote