Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2023, 10:30 PM   #1

Used 986 Engine 100,000 Miles

I am on the verge of visiting a Boxster 986.1 in reputedly great shape. It's engine, however, at about 75,000 miles, was removed and sold (for reasons that aren't relevant, I think, to my question). To replace it, the owner (who is a highly regarded Porsche expert and technician) has ordered a 100,000 mile used engine. Since I am a a novice Porsche guy, I don't know what questions I should be asking. Y'all have any advice for me?

craigkeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 05:34 AM   #2

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigkeen View Post
... the owner (who is a highly regarded Porsche expert and technician) has ordered a 100,000 mile used engine...
If the owner is worth his reputation he will make sure that the cam chain tensioner pads are changed and that the IMS bearing is at least verified or changed while the engine is out. Also the cylinders should be verified for bore scoring and a leak-down test done. Water pump and AOS should be checked/changed. What is the condition of the clutch? Easy to check before the engine is installed.

While there is no engine in the car it good time to change the coolant tank in the trunk if it has not already been done. The CV joints on the half-shafts and their rubber boots same thing.

These are all things that are relatively easy to do with the engine on an engine stand but difficult when the engine is in the car. If the opportunity to do these maintenance items is taken, then the car could be a safer bet than a lower mileage example that has not been check over.
1987 924S 5-speed (Sold) - Blue 2000 Boxster 5 spd (Sold)
elgyqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 06:28 AM   #3
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
+1 to elgyqc and adding in engine mount and transmission mounts. It all may seem like a lot to add on to the overall cost, but it is all stuff that will save time and money if done correctly now.

Consider that some of this stuff may have already been done to the car or engine in the last couple years and if it checks out, that's fine.
Old 03-31-2023, 10:21 AM   #4

Man, y'all are the best!
Old 04-03-2023, 10:20 AM   #5

I've gotten very satisfactory answers to these and other questions from the seller. All this work will be done. I have a couple of follow-up questions:

Though the restored engine will have 104,000 miles on it, the rest of the car has something under 75,000. What work should I consider having done on the car before I take it home? I can wait to make cosmetic or ergonomic changes until later, but I'm wondering about what I might do with the transmission, the suspension, anything, really, while it's being put back together. I'm afraid I am quite ignorant about all this and could use all the help y'all're up for tossing my way.
Old 04-04-2023, 03:34 AM   #6

Garage
Personally I would wait till I had driven the car for awhile to see if there are problems. You have to trust the seller a bit for the general condition of the car. It is relatively low mileage so I wouldn't start throwing parts at it.

1987 924S 5-speed (Sold) - Blue 2000 Boxster 5 spd (Sold)
elgyqc is offline   Reply With Quote