Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2023, 02:46 AM   #1
Casual Driver

Exclamation Driver Side Seatbelt Problem

Hey guys, I am having an issue with my driver side (left hand drive) seatbelt with my Boxster 986 S 3.2 (2004). The belt doesn't seem to retract back in anymore. I noticed over the last year it was getting weak and usually I helped it make its way back in, however now it is completely out and dangling.

My only thought is that something has happened with the mechanism (jammed perhaps?)

I would appreciate any help and if possible any help on accessing the belt.

Thank you

Old 03-08-2023, 06:03 AM   #2

First thing - seriously - give the belt and retract mechanism a good cleaning. 20 years of sliding in and out has drug all kinds of dirt, dust, gunk, etc into the retract mechanism and gummed it up.

Get yourself a bucket of hot, soapy (dish soap is fine) water and some clean rags. Grab a bottle of degreaser and another bottle of spray lubricant - silicon or something similar. Also a can of compressed air.

Pull the belt all the way out. Start cleaning the belt from the end closest to the retract assembly and work towards the latch mechanism. Lather. Rinse. Repeat. Several times.

You'll be amazed at all the dirt you pull from the belt.

Once you're happy with the cleanliness of the belt use your can of compressed air and give a few blasts into the retract assembly to knock loose some of the gunk. Spray a small amount of degreaser into the opening, then start pulling and releasing the belt - you only need to retract it in/out about a foot. You're wanting to get the degreaser working on the retract mechanism.

By now you should see a huge difference in how the retract mechanism works. Once you're happy, do it a few more times just because. Then - a light spray of the silicon lube and again work the assembly in/out about a foot to get the lube worked into the retract mechanism.

Then - do the same to the receiver - a little degreaser and a little lube. Work the (faded to pink) red receiver button and let the degreaser and lube do their job.

Then do the same to the passenger side because it needs it too.

Once you have both belts working like new again (they will - honest), get yourself a red permanent Sharpie marker and color in your faded to pink receiver buttons back to a nice bright red.

Clean up your mess, drop the top and take your Boxster out for a good spin. Come back home, open a San Miguel or two and congratulate yourself on a job well done.
Old 03-08-2023, 09:45 AM   #3
Casual Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTele58 View Post
First thing - seriously - give the belt and retract mechanism a good cleaning. 20 years of sliding in and out has drug all kinds of dirt, dust, gunk, etc into the retract mechanism and gummed it up.

Get yourself a bucket of hot, soapy (dish soap is fine) water and some clean rags. Grab a bottle of degreaser and another bottle of spray lubricant - silicon or something similar. Also a can of compressed air.

Pull the belt all the way out. Start cleaning the belt from the end closest to the retract assembly and work towards the latch mechanism. Lather. Rinse. Repeat. Several times.

Once you're happy with the cleanliness of the belt use your can of compressed air and give a few blasts into the retract assembly to knock loose some of the gunk. Spray a small amount of degreaser into the opening, then start pulling and releasing the belt - you only need to retract it in/out about a foot. You're wanting to get the degreaser working on the retract mechanism.

By now you should see a huge difference in how the retract mechanism works. Once you're happy, do it a few more times just because. Then - a light spray of the silicon lube and again work the assembly in/out about a foot to get the lube worked into the retract mechanism.

Then - do the same to the receiver - a little degreaser and a little lube. Work the (faded to pink) red receiver button and let the degreaser and lube do their job.

Once you have both belts working like new again (they will - honest), get yourself a red permanent Sharpie marker and color in your faded to pink receiver buttons back to a nice bright red.

Clean up your mess, drop the top and take your Boxster out for a good spin. Come back home, open a San Miguel or two and congratulate yourself on a job well done.
Thanks for the reply! I'll definitely clean the hell out of it!!! Thanks for the tips!

What about accessing the mechanism? Is it easy to get to?
Old 04-01-2023, 04:12 PM   #4
M31

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTele58 View Post

My '02 has the same problem and I thought years of use had weakened the assembly.
It never occurred to me to just clean the damn thing and save some money...lol
You also have the answer for bringing back the red buttons that have turned pink!
M31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 12:38 AM   #5
Casual Driver

Wanted to update this, so here we go.

I've been trying to get the carpet panels off so I can access the mechanism, but I'm having no luck getting it off. Is there any special way it should be removed (such as a sliding manoeuvre)?

Any help would be appreciated 👍🏻
Old 04-11-2023, 04:13 AM   #6

There's two Phillips screws. One is lower and most likely the head is kind of hidden down in the carpet. Feel around and you'll find it. It's towards the back and a few inches above where the bottom of the piece sits against the floor carpet.

The second screw is on top and hidden a bit by the convertible top mechanisms. It's on the top plastic piece. Oops! Like Jon says below - it's an 8mm bolt - not a screw. It's been awhile since I've dug around on one.

Once you have them removed, just lift up a bit on the carpet piece you want to remove. There's a couple of little clips that hold everything in place.

Search around - you'll find them both.

Last edited by RedTele58; 04-11-2023 at 06:08 AM.
RedTele58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 05:37 AM   #7
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
I have a car handy, so to supplement Rick's comment:

Old 04-11-2023, 01:46 PM   #8
Casual Driver

Thanks guys for the replies!!! So that's where the other screw was! Couldn't find the top one. Thanks again!

Tags
986 , 986s , boxster , issue , seatbelt