Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2022, 07:18 AM   #1

Will it start w/o Cam sensor, m96 2.5 ?

Here is one odd question,

My car is 1997. 2.5 tiptronic, with a seriously dead engine (rod bearings, scored cylinders etc) that i swapped for an Audi 3.0 30v v6 engine. The motor itself bolts to the 986 tranny and it is already in, on a fabricated cradle.

My intention is to run it with stock DME for convenience and stock look and feel, so i already made adjustments to 60-2 trigger wheel on the crank, and now it has the same angle as on m96, also made wiring modifications for the new fire order , 3d printed adapter for porsche throttle body etc etc. I will start a build thread later.

The question is , will the DME fire the engine with both CAM sensors disconnected ?

Audi engine has a different style toothed cam wheel with 4 teeth, all different length, and porsche has only one tooth for sync. I will have to deal with it later , to make the camshaft variator work, but for now , i just want to hear the engine fire.

If anyone is servicing his car and is willing to help, please just unplug both sensors and try to fire up

Regards,

RAle

gumetina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 06:20 PM   #2
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Today I was doing some work on Boxsters and had a 2001 car with a 1997 2.5L engine available to do the test. The car started normally. I had thought of doing basically the same thing with an Audi 2.8L engine a few years ago, but never got beyond thinking about it.

Old 02-17-2022, 11:35 AM   #3

Thanks mate

This means a lot to me. You are beyond cool !

I noticed that the engine is E-gas, me7 ecu, and mine is cable throttle m5.2.2, hopefully i will find out if it fires up this weekend

Thanks a lot again, You have a beer on me
gumetina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 06:57 AM   #4
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumetina View Post
... I noticed that the engine is E-gas, me7 ecu, and mine is cable throttle m5.2.2, ...
Yes, that car is a 2001 model with DME 7.2. The engine is a 1997 2.5L with an E-gas intake. It has a cracked head now, but ran well other than that.