Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2021, 09:17 PM   #1

Installing Wiring Harness Repair Kit

Thank you to all that have posted on the topic of replacing the ABS wheel sensors. Your advice and explanations have been invaluable. I'm a new Boxster owner (02 Base) and ready to replace the right & left rear ABS sensor wires with the Wiring Harness Repair Kit from Pelican (986-612-953-01-OEM and *954*) I read some valuable posts that many of you wrote regarding the process. I now hope someone might enlighten further me as a newby: the kit has 5 wires; 3 terminate in barrel connectors and 2 are just wires. The kit also includes 3 crimps and 3 heat shrink tubes. I have located the connectors in my trunk and identified the yellow one as the end point for the wires in the repair kit. Questions: 1. how I should separate the pieces of the yellow connector so that I can access the back to hopefully extract the wires? 2. why the bare wires? I am guessing I need to splice them, but not sure where. maybe that will become evident when I am able to access the rear of the yellow plastic housing/connector. 3. Any advice on pin extraction and wire splicing would be most appreciated as I have done neither in the past! I have tried to upload pictures but can't seem to get it to work. Thanks for any help! Ashley

Last edited by alohaboxster; 12-25-2021 at 09:23 PM. Reason: clarify title
alohaboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 04:54 PM   #2

Wiring Harness Repair Kit

I think I figured out how to upload pictures. This is the most current wiring harness kit. Appears that the brown wires without the connectors are meant to be spliced to the existing ground wires on the car. Not sure why they didn't just make the wires longer with the end piece on it so they can just be bolted in like the original. I'm also curious why I see only 2 ground wires in the car when there should be 4 (2 for each kit--left and right)
Old 12-26-2021, 05:03 PM   #3

Yellow Connector for ABS Sensor wires

This is the yellow connector that the wiring harness repair kit's wires need to be connected to. I am having a hard time figuring out how to separate the connector so that I can get to the back to (hopefully) extract the existing wires. Can anyone offer advice on how to separate the pieces of the connector?
Old 12-27-2021, 07:52 AM   #4
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Is this what you want to know?

A round tubular pin extraction tool is used to release the individual pins from a connector like that. I don't know the particular size needed for that pin.

Here's a cheap set of extractors. There are a lot of options and variables.
https://www.amazon.com/Adduswin-Connector-Extractors-Extractor-Household/dp/B07YJXS354/
Old 12-27-2021, 08:03 AM   #5

With the numbers of these pin connectors in cars and just about everything else these days, a decent set of pin extractor tools is a good addition to any toolbox. This is my favorite:

Tags
abs sensor , wiring harness repair kit