Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2021, 11:30 AM   #1
Teddyonine

Garage
Center cap emblem vanished

So today I noticed the Porsche crest in the center of my right front wheel is gone. I checked the other 3 and no issues. Has this happened to others? Do they occasionally work their way off the wheel or do you think someone may have helped themselves to it? I’ve had the car 18 years and this is new to me. Any suggestions on options for replacement? Thanks for any ideas- Merry Christmas all!

Teddyonine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 12:33 PM   #2

They fall off occasionally because Porsche didn't glue them on very well. I haven't seen the emblems sold separately, but do see used center caps for sale at reasonable prices from time to time, and there are some reasonably priced knockoff center caps that people have said are decent quality for sale on Facebook marketplace, Craigslist and Alibaba.
Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 02:15 PM   #3

Garage
Also for sale on Rennlist
Van914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 03:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van914 View Post
Also for sale on Rennlist
I bought a set of four from Rennlist for a friend of mine ($60 USD) and the quality and fit was great. https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1251658
Gilles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 04:21 PM   #5
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
You may want to put a rivet in to hold the remaining crests. I expect that your other three may be closer to falling off than you expect:
http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/73059-secure-your-center-cap-crest.html
Old 12-14-2021, 05:08 PM   #6

I have a coffee can full of emblems. In the spirit of Christmas, send me a PM with your mailing info and I'll find a nice one and put it in an envelope for you.

Just pass the favor forward and I'll be happy.

But yeah, if one is gone, the others will be soon. Get yourself a plastic pry tool, pop the other three off, clean everything up good and get some serious glue to reattach. Easy to do.
Old 12-14-2021, 05:37 PM   #7

Sometimes I amaze even myself with the treasures I've accumulated for these cars over the years.

After I posted my message above, I went out to my utility room to see if I had an emblem or two here at the house. The coffee can full of emblems that I spoke of above is down at my shop.

Not even knowing what was in it, I grabbed one of several red Folgers coffee cans off the shelf...

Here's a dozen or so center caps, a handful of emblems, an OEM clear set of turn signal markers, a set of clear headlight corners, a set of spinlocks, a "red clip" for the alarm system, a bat wing, and several small bags of different fasteners. The bottom of the can has several inches of different fasteners, seat bolts and other odds and ends.

Jon - if I croak, you and Woody are going to have to come and sort through all this mess. There are treasures here that only you guys will recognize and appreciate. I still haven't found the 550 SE batwing I have for you, but it's around somewhere.

And no, don't anyone message me for any of this. None of it's for sale. Yet. It's all part of my retirement savings plan.
Attached Images

Old 12-14-2021, 10:38 PM   #8
Teddyonine

Garage
Thanks!

Thanks all for the advice and offers. I went ahead and checked each cap more closely and you all were right: 2 more were loose. I ordered a set from Peiican. This site never fails to help
Teddyonine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 04:15 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTele58 View Post
Sometimes I amaze even myself with the treasures I've accumulated for these cars over the years.

After I posted my message above, I went out to my utility room to see if I had an emblem or two here at the house. The coffee can full of emblems that I spoke of above is down at my shop.

Not even knowing what was in it, I grabbed one of several red Folgers coffee cans off the shelf...

Here's a dozen or so center caps, a handful of emblems, an OEM clear set of turn signal markers, a set of clear headlight corners, a set of spinlocks, a "red clip" for the alarm system, a bat wing, and several small bags of different fasteners. The bottom of the can has several inches of different fasteners, seat bolts and other odds and ends.

Jon - if I croak, you and Woody are going to have to come and sort through all this mess. There are treasures here that only you guys will recognize and appreciate. I still haven't found the 550 SE batwing I have for you, but it's around somewhere.

And no, don't anyone message me for any of this. None of it's for sale. Yet. It's all part of my retirement savings plan.
LOL, I was about to text you and Jon that one of you needs to come down here with a truck and grab all this stuff I'm holding onto for no reason.
Old 12-15-2021, 04:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
LOL, I was about to text you and Jon that one of you needs to come down here with a truck and grab all this stuff I'm holding onto for no reason.
I'll shoot you a text. I'll bet you have a treasure load of the little things I hoard.
Old 12-17-2021, 05:15 PM   #11
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTele58 View Post
... In the spirit of Christmas, send me a PM with your mailing info and I'll find a nice one and put it in an envelope for you.

Just pass the favor forward and I'll be happy. ...
Rick, that was awesome of you to offer even though he went with a new one. Merry Christmas!