Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2021, 12:48 PM   #1

Getting to back of radio for removal

Before I go rogue, is there an easy way to access the back of the radio to put some pressure on it while removing it? I removed the CD holder, but there's no radio access with it removed. Does a lot have to be taken apart, or is there a simple, sneaky way to access it?

Thanks!

1985 Porsche Carrera Targa - Guards Red

1978 Porsche 911SC Euro Non-Sunroof - Grand Prix White
Seadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 01:59 PM   #2

If it the factory unit, you need to insert the two keys (Amazon sells them) from the front to unlock it, then it just slides out:

Old 10-25-2021, 03:02 PM   #3
2002 Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
If it the factory unit, you need to insert the two keys (Amazon sells them) from the front to unlock it, then it just slides out:

Hint: Use a couple of small screwdrivers to pull on the keys after you've inserted them and don't be afraid to pull like hell. If the radio has never been removed it's going to need some force to remove it.
Old 10-25-2021, 03:48 PM   #4

Thanks guys...I saw a video on YouTube about removing it with a different tool (nail clippers of all things), as I can't find my Becker removal tools. There's just nothing to grab on to pull it out once the sides are released. Guess I'll have to order a set of the proper tools, unless someone has an extra set lying around!

I'm anxious to send it in for a BlueTooth upgrade!!

Last edited by Seadweller; 10-25-2021 at 03:51 PM.
Old 10-26-2021, 07:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadweller View Post
Before I go rogue, is there an easy way to access the back of the radio to put some pressure on it while removing it? I removed the CD holder, but there's no radio access with it removed. Does a lot have to be taken apart, or is there a simple, sneaky way to access it?
From the lower center console remove the leather trim piece and the carpet on one side. See picture "A" from the linked center console delete instructions on the Pelican site.

https://cdn4.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/75-BODY-GT3_Console_Delete/images_small/Pic2.jpg

Once you do that you can get your hand to the back of the stereo to push on it while you are pulling on the removal tools. I had an aftermarket unit that wouldn't budge with the cheap removal tools. Pushing from the back saves you from prying damage on the front trim surfaces.
Lowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 08:01 AM   #6

Thanks, looks pretty simple. I ordered the removal tools, so I'll see if I can remove it that way, otherwise I'll move forward as instructed above.

Old 10-27-2021, 08:43 AM   #7

Even with the keys inserted the radio can be quite stubborn there is a specific way to move them while you withdraw the radio with the keys it helps to have screwdriver through the key rings and grip then as a T handle when you work with them
Old 10-27-2021, 10:24 AM   #8

I forgot about another option. Whatever you have in the slot above your radio (Cup holder, HVAC controls, etc), remove it. Typically it is a trim surround piece and 4 screws. Once it's removed you get easy access to the back of the radio to push it out far enough so you have something to grab on to.
Lowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 09:33 AM   #9

Thanks gang! The removal tools arrived, and the radio came out without fuss. It's already on its way to Becker for the upgrade. Can't wait to get it back and retire my CD's for good!

Old 11-04-2021, 03:06 PM   #10

Last week the center of the display on my CDR23 radio stopped working. When I turned the radio on, it said POR ]SCHE instead of PORSCHE, the light above the 5 button no longer lights and other things in the middle don't display correctly. Since I live only about 15 miles from Becker in Saddle Brook, I dropped my radio off. $175 for a new display and it will be ready in 10-12 days. I'm still using an old-school iPod and FM transmitter, so I didn't opt for the Bluetooth upgrade.

Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote