Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2021, 09:34 AM   #1

IMS installed without seals?

I understand the later M96 with big bearing can have their rear seal removed for splash lubrication (often done during a clutch job). However, why not do this for early small IMS bearing engines? Does the bearing not sit below the oil level in the sump? I imagine if one were to do this, it would be best to install a new bearing without seals on both sides for best oil flow through the bearing.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

JDMsurprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 01:56 PM   #2

If you purchase a quality retrofit kit, the bearing would only be sealed on the shaft side right out of the box. The shaft side seal is important to prevent flooding the shaft with oil.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 10-17-2021 at 01:08 PM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 04:35 PM   #3

Okay, so are you saying no seal on the outside is okay? As far as I can see, the retrofit kits I am familiar with are fully sealed like the OE bearing.

Old 10-16-2021, 07:39 PM   #4

Garage
Check post #9 in this thread
http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/74142-my-blue-boxster-refurb.html
Some discussion here
http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/79410-running-stock-ims-bearing-without-seal.html
Interesting thread, my 2 cents worth in post #60
http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/74909-sick-ims-bearing-4.html
1987 924S 5-speed (Sold) - Blue 2000 Boxster 5 spd (Sold)
elgyqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 01:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMsurprise View Post
Okay, so are you saying no seal on the outside is okay? As far as I can see, the retrofit kits I am familiar with are fully sealed like the OE bearing.

Quality units, like the LN retrofits, the outside is not a full seal, it is designed to let the engine oil mists lubricate the bearing, while blocking any debris from entering the bearing.
Old 10-19-2021, 06:53 PM   #6

Grant and Jeff, thank you for the excellent responses. I have been on this forum for nearly a year, but I did not see all of which you referenced. I have a low mileage 97 and will likely just pull the seal, provided I see no signs of degradation. Otherwise, new IMSB...