Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2021, 07:30 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by azlvr View Post
Agreed!
How has your long term headlight cover experience been?
I like them, switch them alot. Right now since its daylight savings time, light until almost 10 pm, I'm running my factory Xenon's.
The ones with the covers are LEDs, much brighter, for wintertime when it's dark at 6 to 7.

JBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 09:03 AM   #42

Seriously?!?!......IMHO, Boxsters, both old and new, have some of the most beautiful and classic design styling in the automotive world. Skilled designers labor over its look and anything an owner does to alter that design, is to me, a "crime"....... throw out all of those pictures....."fugly"!
Old 07-27-2021, 07:56 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob175 View Post
Seriously?!?!......IMHO, Boxsters, both old and new, have some of the most beautiful and classic design styling in the automotive world. Skilled designers labor over its look and anything an owner does to alter that design, is to me, a "crime"....... throw out all of those pictures....."fugly"!
I'm crushed. 🤡
Old 07-28-2021, 02:18 PM   #44

i'm all for modded boxsters because i love restomods of any car brand as long as it's done well.

i don't like the first two bumpers you posted because they diverge from the flow downward of the hood and lights. i was looking to buy those bumpers too when i was shopping, but couldn't get past that part of it. i do like the rest of the modded cars you posted. those flow well and look good. i would drive any of those around, but with a different paint job.
drill3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 05:48 AM   #45

Nice! Which brand is it? Those are some expensive mirrors and my daughter just moved to your city.
Poly or fiberglass? I like where the running lights are, haven't seen that.

Last edited by azlvr; 07-29-2021 at 05:58 AM.
azlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 07:13 AM   #46

Quote:
Nice! Which brand is it? Those are some expensive mirrors and my daughter just moved to your city.
Poly or fiberglass? I like where the running lights are, haven't seen that.
Expensive bumper there.
Old 07-29-2021, 11:41 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBauer View Post
Expensive bumper there.
Agreed! If it’s poly it’s interesting. I haven’t seen one in that style with lights in that area.
Old 08-02-2021, 07:05 AM   #48

ingo noak tuning

Ingo Noak Tuning

bought it straight from them many years ago and it was cheaper even with the freight shipping from europe, than buying from a US distributor.

It's fiberglass, and I had it along with the side skirts and trunk installed by a auto restorer.

Way back then, if i remember correctly, the problem with poly is that if it doesn't fit well you'll never get it to fit well. If you know how to work with fiberglass you can get it to fit well and you can repair it.

of course, for DIY, i would've picked the easier way which might by poly, but i knew i wasn't going to do it myself.
Old 08-02-2021, 01:19 PM   #49

I think that orange car is hot.
Im.keeping mine oem as i can.but your choice. Is yours to own.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk
alansdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 02:07 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by drill3r View Post
Ingo Noak Tuning

Way back then, if i remember correctly, the problem with poly is that if it doesn't fit well you'll never get it to fit well. If you know how to work with fiberglass you can get it to fit well and you can repair it.

of course, for DIY, i would've picked the easier way which might by poly, but i knew i wasn't going to do it myself.
So fiberglass fits great but you had to pay a body shop to fit it???? 🤷 Dont get me wrong it's a great looking bumper but most fiberglass bumpers fit like crap. That's why factory bumpers are polyurethane.
My polyurethane fit without any work from a body shop. Heres a pic of it out of the box and held on by the top 2 screws. I painted it and hung it.

Old 08-03-2021, 06:17 AM   #51

oem vs. aftermarket

i'm not talking about oem bumpers, but aftermarket ones.

i don't know if the quality control has changed in the last ten years, but before i bought a bumper people were saying that these businesses that sell poly bumpers didn't have the best molds and such and people that bought poly bumpers couldn't modify them if they didn't fit right. you don't know how these small businesses store their molds and how they check their products or if they've made copies of other businesses' bumpers, copies of copies of copies are possible in other words.

thanks for letting me know that oem bumpers fit well and have good QC.
Old 08-03-2021, 06:35 AM   #52

Quote:

i don't know if the quality control has changed in the last ten years, but before i bought a bumper people were saying that these businesses that sell poly bumpers didn't have the best molds and such and people that bought poly bumpers couldn't modify them if they didn't fit right. you don't know how these small businesses store their molds and how they check their products or if they've made copies of other businesses' bumpers, copies of copies of copies are possible in other words.

I had a long conversation with an owner of one of the bumper mfg that's been in the business since the 80's and said the problem with fiberglass is stress cracks. he said poly is the way to go so that leaves limited options. I do body and paint as a hobby on my own stuff so wasn't to worried about fiberglass but don't want to fix it all the time unless I damage it. Another option I just ran across on YouTube was grafting a newer OEM bumper to existing one. Looks interesting.
Old 08-03-2021, 06:40 AM   #53

Quote:
Ingo Noak Tuning

bought it straight from them many years ago and it was cheaper even with the freight shipping from europe, than buying from a US distributor.

It's fiberglass, and I had it along with the side skirts and trunk installed by a auto restorer.

It looks like they no longer have 986/996 parts and no language conversion.
Old 08-03-2021, 07:30 AM   #54

Quote:
It looks like they no longer have 986/996 parts and no language conversion.
yeah, when they did have the parts i used google translate and figured it out.

it was funny to me to do it that way, but i saved hundreds of dollars even paying duties and the freight shipping.
Old 08-03-2021, 06:27 PM   #55

Quote:

That post was about my aftermarket polyurethane bumper.
Old 08-04-2021, 08:50 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBauer View Post
So fiberglass fits great but you had to pay a body shop to fit it???? 🤷 Dont get me wrong it's a great looking bumper but most fiberglass bumpers fit like crap. That's why factory bumpers are polyurethane.
My polyurethane fit without any work from a body shop. Heres a pic of it out of the box and held on by the top 2 screws. I painted it and hung it.

um, yeah, but you said, "That's why factory bumpers are polyurethane."

i'm pretty sure an aftermarket company is capable of making a crappy fitting poly bumper. using the same material as the oem factory doesn't guarantee good fit.

but other forum members that went down the bumper route told me crappy fitting poly bumpers will never fit while fiberglass ones can be made to fit.
Old 08-10-2021, 05:35 PM   #57

Here's an interesting way to have a OEM bumper.

https://youtu.be/7TLGr3qwH_4
Old 08-10-2021, 05:53 PM   #58

I feel like this discussion was scripted by the Wayans brothers.....

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
Old 08-12-2021, 10:56 AM   #59

You should definitely stop feeling then and that should stop that problem.
Old 08-12-2021, 02:02 PM   #60

Best way to get an OEM bumper:
https://www.porsche.com/usa/

2002 996 (SOLD)
1986 944 (gone but missed)
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote