Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2021, 06:46 PM   #1
Urgent Advice Needed to Fix Top Frame

Hi all,

I have a pending sale of my Boxster (don't worry, I already have my new 986 on the way) and noticed that the pivot ball mounted to the cast aluminum frame on the drivers side was broken. To clarify, the ball broke off with part of the cast frame attached.

Full disclosure, I found this pic online but it's the same problem.

Is there a way to safely repair without replacing the entire frame? I was thinking of drilling a hole or 2 and tapping in some roll pins then reinforcing with something like JB Weld. Just an idea that kept me up last night.....

Anyway, does anyone have any interesting solutions to try? Car is supposed to be out the door this weekend and I just can't let it go like this.

Thank you all!!
Tommy

Tommy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 07:07 AM   #2
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
This?

At this point, given your time frame, I think that JB Weld and disclosure to the buyer is your best bet. There are aluminum "Welding rods" that can work like solder to do repairs like that, but given the proximity to the canvas, paint, and plastic it would probably be better to just remove it all and have it professionally welded or replaced.

Is there another flaw in the top mechanism that placed stress on that? If so, a reattached the ball will be short-lived.
Old 06-24-2021, 02:17 PM   #3

You are looking at a new frame at this point or having someone that can weld aluminum. The good news is that the top just attaches to that ball joint. Only keeps it down, doesn't really impact things if you dont have the cable attached. I have had both sides disconnected by accident and driven thousands of miles without them being on and didn't have any issues.
2002 996 (SOLD)
1986 944 (gone but missed)
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 10:00 PM   #4
Hi everyone, caught a lucky break. Located a junk top frame and pulled that whole cast aluminum tray out with the pivot ball and swapped it to my frame.

To do this I removed the top and frame assembly from the car, removed the seals and the back of the top off the frame, removed some clips and pins and I was able to sneak it in. Reinstalled, adjusted the pushrods and gearbox cables and back on the road! Saved me from having to swap the almost new top.

Thanks to all who read the post and those that offered advice.

Such a great forum!

Tommy2 is offline   Reply With Quote