Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2021, 06:30 AM   #1

Garage
Looking for strut advice for my 2001 Boxster S

I had a mishap with my car and it's been a month and I thought the car would be finished today. Went to put in the left rear hub carrier after replacing the subframe, axle, and all the control arms, and noticed the bottom of the strut is slightly bent. Closest place I found one from a S is used is in California.
Question, are the struts different from the base verses an S, and are the springs different too and I should only be searching for an S strut.
My strut P/N is 986 333 051 20.
Since I'm trying to get my car on the road today, what aftermarket one would match up to the others that a shop or store should have in stock.

Jasper7821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 06:38 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper7821 View Post
I had a mishap with my car and it's been a month and I thought the car would be finished today. Went to put in the left rear hub carrier after replacing the subframe, axle, and all the control arms, and noticed the bottom of the strut is slightly bent. Closest place I found one from a S is used is in California.

Question, are the struts different from the base verses an S, and are the springs different too and I should only be searching for an S strut.

My strut P/N is 986 333 051 20.

Since I'm trying to get my car on the road today, what aftermarket one would match up to the others that a shop or store should have in stock.
I don't know about base vs s oem specs, but I have read that the s suspension is 25% stiffer than base setup so I would imagine they are different. In the world of aftermarket coilovers, the same coilovers are used for base and s models and then adjusted to driver preference.

I would caution you about mixing and matching parts. If you replace one side, I would recommend replacing the other. If you don't, usually it will cause premature wear to both sides. Also, I would not rush this process. If you make a bad choice, or get a bad part, you will likely wind up having to do it over again. Just my 2c.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
Old 06-18-2021, 06:46 AM   #3

Garage
Thank you, that's why I was looking for a used one from an S and hopefully it would be about the same condition as the other 3. The car has 107k miles and looks like the struts are original. The car drove great and struts were still fine.
And yes, totally understand about not rushing. Was just hoping to get back on the road today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike84 View Post
I don't know about base vs s oem specs, but I have read that the s suspension is 25% stiffer than base setup so I would imagine they are different. In the world of aftermarket coilovers, the same coilovers are used for base and s models and then adjusted to driver preference.

I would caution you about mixing and matching parts. If you replace one side, I would recommend replacing the other. If you don't, usually it will cause premature wear to both sides. Also, I would not rush this process. If you make a bad choice, or get a bad part, you will likely wind up having to do it over again. Just my 2c.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
Old 06-18-2021, 07:45 AM   #4

Don't mix and match. It's not safe and please do not buy used. I'd rather buy some weirdo brand from say Rock Auto if you're looking to save some money, but depending on what your plans are for the car, get a nice aftermarket suspension like Koni Special Active, Koni Yellow, or the usual Bilstein replacements.
Old 06-18-2021, 07:55 AM   #5
PLP

No, they are not fine...
You just do not know it yet.

There is no way that struts after 100k miles hold OK. They might not leaking, they may seem to be fine, but the dumping forces are nowhere close to specs.

I am afraid that by replacing the one axle only, it will disturb the balance of the car.

I feel you, man, spending tons of money on a car and not to expect to recoup it is painful.
I am in the same boat.
I just got 2003 Base with 110k miles. I thought clunks are sway bar links. Yes, they were shot, but the clunks are from the suspension.

Overall, after a few hours of searching, looking for deals and so on - I obtained all pieces of the suspension (struts, arms, mounts, links...) for about 1'800 using KONI reds.

Yes, about 1'200 more than I expected, but at least I will be able to feel safe in the car.

Previous: 2014 Fiat 500e, 2016 KIA Forte5 SX, 2016 Fiat 500X, and some old days: Trabant, Fiat 126p...
PLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 08:43 AM   #6

Garage
Ya, I'm kinda thinking about biting the bullet and just doing all of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Don't mix and match. It's not safe and please do not buy used. I'd rather buy some weirdo brand from say Rock Auto if you're looking to save some money, but depending on what your plans are for the car, get a nice aftermarket suspension like Koni Special Active, Koni Yellow, or the usual Bilstein replacements.
Old 06-18-2021, 08:51 AM   #7

You'll like the Koni Special Actives. Puts a smile on my face every time I take the car out and makes it so civil to daily drive.
Old 06-18-2021, 09:18 AM   #8

Garage
Thank You,
I totally understand and may just do all 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLP View Post
No, they are not fine...
You just do not know it yet.

There is no way that struts after 100k miles hold OK. They might not leaking, they may seem to be fine, but the dumping forces are nowhere close to specs.

I am afraid that by replacing the one axle only, it will disturb the balance of the car.

I feel you, man, spending tons of money on a car and not to expect to recoup it is painful.
I am in the same boat.
I just got 2003 Base with 110k miles. I thought clunks are sway bar links. Yes, they were shot, but the clunks are from the suspension.

Overall, after a few hours of searching, looking for deals and so on - I obtained all pieces of the suspension (struts, arms, mounts, links...) for about 1'800 using KONI reds.

Yes, about 1'200 more than I expected, but at least I will be able to feel safe in the car.
Old 06-18-2021, 09:20 AM   #9

Garage
Thank You, we'll see what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
You'll like the Koni Special Actives. Puts a smile on my face every time I take the car out and makes it so civil to daily drive.
Old 06-22-2021, 07:27 PM   #10

Struts that are that old are done… period. If one is dead, replace them all. I just put in Feal coil overs did a full suspension go through, corner balanced and aligned. Completely transformed the car, my wife even noticed. 02’ S with 65k on the clock.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 10:12 AM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof3 View Post
Struts that are that old are done… period. If one is dead, replace them all. I just put in Feal coil overs did a full suspension go through, corner balanced and aligned. Completely transformed the car, my wife even noticed. 02’ S with 65k on the clock.
The struts I had worked great and the car drove perfectly fine. The issue was when the wheel folded up it bent the strut, that's why I got a used replacement.
Still looking at replacing all 4 in the next few months.
Old 06-23-2021, 11:18 AM   #12
PLP

Suspension (all 4 corners, all new parts - some OEM, Meyle, TRW, URO, and KONI) less than 2000 USD,.
Attached Images

Previous: 2014 Fiat 500e, 2016 KIA Forte5 SX, 2016 Fiat 500X, and some old days: Trabant, Fiat 126p...
Old 06-23-2021, 08:46 PM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Suspension (all 4 corners, all new parts - some OEM, Meyle, TRW, URO, and KONI) less than 2000 USD,.
Thank You, I may take advantage of the 20% off the Koni shocks, we'll see.
I bought control arms from ********************************AZ and they're just under $100 there, plus they had great prices on the other suspension items I bought.
https://www.********************************************** **************/pn/4160500000
Old 06-24-2021, 04:13 AM   #14
PLP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper7821 View Post
Thank You, I may take advantage of the 20% off the Koni shocks, we'll see.
I bought control arms from ********************************AZ and they're just under $100 there, plus they had great prices on the other suspension items I bought.
https://www.********************************************** **************/pn/4160500000
You cannot use certain names here... otherwise you will become an asterisk or a star

for example, automotive store with rock name in it, shall be called stone auto?
not sure about auto and zone
you get the idea, right?

To get free shipping, you need to order each strut separately, otherwise they drop you $50 shipping charge.
Pelican seems to have the lowest price. I saw a set in my local store (via eBay), but they never responded... so forget them.

From what I hear - URO, Meyle, are OK brands for more important parts. Bellows or strut bumps - HT is fine...

Old 06-24-2021, 06:16 AM   #15

Garage
Ahhh ok got it, sorry about that.

Quote:
You cannot use certain names here... otherwise you will become an asterisk or a star

for example, automotive store with rock name in it, shall be called stone auto?
not sure about auto and zone
you get the idea, right?

To get free shipping, you need to order each strut separately, otherwise they drop you $50 shipping charge.
Pelican seems to have the lowest price. I saw a set in my local store (via eBay), but they never responded... so forget them.

From what I hear - URO, Meyle, are OK brands for more important parts. Bellows or strut bumps - HT is fine...