Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2021, 11:24 AM   #1

Litronics HID 97 Boxster

Ok so I know the Litronics can work with my 1997 Boxster. It's plug and play with the exception of the auto levelling feature. Not willing to spend the $$$ to make that work. Sounds like it's not that big of a deal. This is not a daily driver nor will I be doing a lot of night driving. Does anyone know where I manually adjust if required? Is it on the headlight itself. Also many are equipped with that washer hole. My standard lights don't currently have that. Does that mean I will have to replace those corner pieces with ones that don't have the washer hole?

97gtaboxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 11:28 AM   #2

There has been people mentioning manually leveling them this week but I have never seen any other mention of anyone trying or being able to level them. They level electronically, there is no manual way to do it unless you hook up something to move the leveling motors.

Putting in litronics is really a waste of money in a car that isn't equipped with them unless you get them for less then the standard lights.
2002 996 (SOLD)
1986 944 (gone but missed)
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 11:44 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stl-986 View Post
There has been people mentioning manually leveling them this week but I have never seen any other mention of anyone trying or being able to level them. They level electronically, there is no manual way to do it unless you hook up something to move the leveling motors.

Putting in litronics is really a waste of money in a car that isn't equipped with them unless you get them for less then the standard lights.
If I could source them for cheaper than the standard lights (used litronics obviously vs brand new standard) then wouldn’t it be worth it?
Old 05-29-2021, 11:53 AM   #4

yea, but the question is why are you wanting to replace your headlights?

My point is, there is nothing to be gained with litronics headlights in a non car. If your existing are broken and you can get them cheaper then non then sure, just dont expect them to work as good cause they will default to the down position, which means you wont get much lighting down the road.
2002 996 (SOLD)
Old 05-29-2021, 12:29 PM   #5

Garage
Good Grief! The litronics adjust EXACTLY as your current halogen lights. You adjust the height and side by the exact same adjustment points on the inner fenders of the frunk. The Litronics headlight assembly is the same as the halogen the only difference is the bulbs reflectors and some motors internally. Simply install, take to a level spot with a wall in the dark and adjust according to the owners manual.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 12:32 PM   #6

Quote:
yea, but the question is why are you wanting to replace your headlights?

My point is, there is nothing to be gained with litronics headlights in a non car. If your existing are broken and you can get them cheaper then non then sure, just dont expect them to work as good cause they will default to the down position, which means you wont get much lighting down the road.
I need to replace my lights because the reflectors are cracked and yellowing. A common issue.

Your point is well taken though and this is why I am on this forum. From my research I have 4 options.

1) replace original headlights with replacement standard OEM like my existing ones.

2) replace original headlight with xenon litronics headlights (used)

3) replace original headlights with aftermarket HID. I am not sure I want to do this as I am unsure of the quality of these lights. I have read that other guys have done it. They look good but still unsure

4) open up my original headlights and fit with with xenon projector. Yes, I have seen the videos. However, this is not something I really want to tackle. I am not sure I like the idea of opening up headlight assemblies.

Thoughts?
Old 05-29-2021, 12:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911monty View Post
Good Grief! The litronics adjust EXACTLY as your current halogen lights. You adjust the height and side by the exact same adjustment points on the inner fenders of the frunk. The Litronics headlight assembly is the same as the halogen the only difference is the bulbs reflectors and some motors internally. Simply install, take to a level spot with a wall in the dark and adjust according to the owners manual.
Good luck with that

Option 1, that is going to just kick the can down the road and it will happen eventually with other ones.

Option 2 - New, plug & play, not cheap

Option 3 - New parts, easy to do, still not all that cheap

Option 5 - If you can find them from the dealer, get brand new ones. Most expensive but is plug & play.

Option 6 - Do nothing
2002 996 (SOLD)
Old 05-29-2021, 01:11 PM   #8
PLP

Quote:
There is no manual way to do it unless you hook up something to move the leveling motors.
There MUST be a way to initially adjust them manually (I bet it is exactly same process as halogen headlights), but then the selfleveling will not work, which is not a problem.

Once set - you should be good.

Previous: 2014 Fiat 500e, 2016 KIA Forte5 SX, 2016 Fiat 500X, and some old days: Trabant, Fiat 126p...
PLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 01:15 PM   #9

Would love to learn how if there is a way
2002 996 (SOLD)
Old 05-29-2021, 01:21 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Good luck with that

Option 1, that is going to just kick the can down the road and it will happen eventually with other ones.

Option 2 - New, plug & play, not cheap

Option 3 - New parts, easy to do, still not all that cheap

Option 5 - If you can find them from the dealer, get brand new ones. Most expensive but is plug & play.

Option 6 - Do nothing
Great another keyboard warrior without a clue. These have been on my car since 2016 I do know what I'm talking about unlike yourself.

Old 05-29-2021, 01:42 PM   #11

Well since you know so much then why dont you post exactly how to do it. The FSM doesn't even go into how to adjust them.
2002 996 (SOLD)
Old 05-29-2021, 01:50 PM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Well since you know so much then why dont you post exactly how to do it. The FSM doesn't even go into how to adjust them.
Read my post #5, do a search there are plenty of threads on this topic. Read your owner's manual, mine has an additional sheet regarding adjustment.
Old 05-29-2021, 01:57 PM   #13

Quote:
They are really easy to adjust. Just need an allen wrench. Check the owners manual or Utube. I had factory xenons, really not that great, and replaced them with retrofitlab retrofit kit. Much better than factory xenons and not that expensive, $300 approximately, IMO.

JBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 02:06 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBauer View Post
They are really easy to adjust. Just need an allen wrench. Check the owners manual or Utube. I had factory xenons, really not that great, and replaced them with retrofitlab retrofit kit. Much better than factory xenons and not that expensive, $300 approximately, IMO.

These look really good. But I am not willing to open up the headlights I have and retrofit.

911Monty is right. I looks in the owners manual and there is a manual adjustment for the headlights.
Old 05-29-2021, 03:34 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97gtaboxter View Post
These look really good. But I am not willing to open up the headlights I have and retrofit.

911Monty is right. I looks in the owners manual and there is a manual adjustment for the headlights.
I bought a couple of non working headlamps on Ebay to use for retrofit.

Last edited by JBauer; 05-29-2021 at 03:36 PM.
JBauer is offline   Reply With Quote