Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2021, 04:54 PM   #1

Does anyone have instructions or diy guide on variorum guide replacements

Looking for a guide on how to replace the variorum pads. Mainly looking for the torque specs on the bolts removed. I got the timing tool and everything else needed to do the job just would like some sort of guide to walk me through it.

Thanks

Johnny5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 02:36 PM   #2

Does anyone know if the Bentley Book or 101 Project book is touches on this a bit?
Johnny 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 02:53 PM   #3

Garage
I found the Bentley pretty much useless if you want to go deeper into the engine than replacing spark plugs. Project 101 has a write-up on replacing the pads and solenoids, also available online for free, you can look it up yourself.

Useful links:
Project NUTROD
http://986forum.com/forums/show-tell-gallery/73917-blue-boxster-resurrection-project-8.html

Good luck!
Homeoboxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 03:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeoboxter View Post
I found the Bentley pretty much useless if you want to go deeper into the engine than replacing spark plugs. Project 101 has a write-up on replacing the pads and solenoids, also available online for free, you can look it up yourself.

Useful links:
Project NUTROD
http://986forum.com/forums/show-tell-gallery/73917-blue-boxster-resurrection-project-8.html

Good luck!
Thank you for the response. Ive heard something similar but wanted to confirm on the Bentley manual. I know how to get to the pads and solenoids but wanted to know more about the timing on these cars.

If anyone can confirm a few things would be great....
2.5L Engine

Removing the valve cover as long as Im removing the bolts from out to in and reinstalling the valve cover in reverse I should be good right?

When working on just bank 1 and setting crank at TDC and confirming lines and notch facing outward when removing the cams and reinstalling basically just make sure that they are the same?

When just working on bank 1 - 3 do I just remove that cylinder timing tensioner only or do I remove all three?
Johnny 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 03:39 PM   #5

Thank you for the response. Ive heard something similar but wanted to confirm on the Bentley manual. I know how to get to the pads and solenoids but wanted to know more about the timing on these cars.

If anyone can confirm a few things would be great....
2.5L Engine

Removing the valve cover as long as Im removing the bolts from out to in and reinstalling the valve cover in reverse I should be good right?

When working on just bank 1 and setting crank at TDC and confirming lines and notch facing outward when removing the cams and reinstalling basically just make sure that they are the same?

When just working on bank 1 - 3 do I just remove that cylinder timing tensioner only or do I remove all three?
Old 05-25-2021, 04:43 PM   #6

http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/26418-diy-setting-cam-timing-m96.html

https://www.renntech.org/topic/50178-camshaft-position-deviation-chain-tensioner-paddle-pad-replacement-diy-vs-cost/
2002 996 (SOLD)
1986 944 (gone but missed)
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 05:44 PM   #7

So I got everything apart and was checking my hydraulic lifters and noticed that some of them are able to compress (soft) and others seem hard. Can anyone tell me if they are supposed to be soft or hard to compress?

And an update the variocam pads were in rough shape so glad Im installing new ones since its out.

Anyways any info on the hydraulic lifters would be appreciated