Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2021, 04:15 AM   #1

Garage
Odd electrical issue

So yesterday I go to the parking lot and hop in my car and turn the key and nothing happens. Nothing at all. I notice I have no power.

I open the frunk and take the battery cover off just to see if there is anything worth noting, which there wasn't. I closed the hood, and as soon as it dropped closed, the car started chiming and the radio came on. So I hopped back in, turned the key, and instead of starting, all the power shut off again.

I once more opened the hood to make sure there wasn't a loose connection to the terminals. (There was not.) I closed the hood again. As soon as the hood dropped shut, everything came back on. Once more, I jumped in and turned the key. Nothing.

I once more opened the battery compartment, and out of frustration, I smacked the top of the battery with my hand pretty solidly and everything turned back on. I got in, it started right up and I have had no issues since yesterday afternoon.

Is this likely to be a harness issue, or did I simply need to reassert my dominance?

'89 XJS (Solent Blue) | '85 XJ6 (Steel Met.) | '93 XJ6 (British Racing Green) | '35 Bugatti Type B (White) | '04 Mustang GT Premium (Silver) | '79 Camaro Berlinetta (Carmine)
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 04:23 AM   #2
1999 Boxster 5 spd.

If you can get everything to work simply by hitting the battery and if all of the battery connections are tight, I would assume it is a battery issue.
Old 05-19-2021, 04:56 AM   #3

I would double check your cable connections with a wrench. Mine will short out if the ground isn't really snug on the terminal.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
Old 05-19-2021, 04:56 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobite View Post
So yesterday I go to the parking lot and hop in my car and turn the key and nothing happens. Nothing at all. I notice I have no power.

I open the frunk and take the battery cover off just to see if there is anything worth noting, which there wasn't. I closed the hood, and as soon as it dropped closed, the car started chiming and the radio came on. So I hopped back in, turned the key, and instead of starting, all the power shut off again.

I once more opened the hood to make sure there wasn't a loose connection to the terminals. (There was not.) I closed the hood again. As soon as the hood dropped shut, everything came back on. Once more, I jumped in and turned the key. Nothing.

I once more opened the battery compartment, and out of frustration, I smacked the top of the battery with my hand pretty solidly and everything turned back on. I got in, it started right up and I have had no issues since yesterday afternoon.

Is this likely to be a harness issue, or did I simply need to reassert my dominance?
Remove , clean and reattach your battery clamps. Check, clean and tighten the positive cable where it attaches to the frame of the car.
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 06:52 AM   #5

Garage
Thanks, guys! I'll try taking it out, cleaning everything, and reattaching everything wrench-tight.

'89 XJS (Solent Blue) | '85 XJ6 (Steel Met.) | '93 XJ6 (British Racing Green) | '35 Bugatti Type B (White) | '04 Mustang GT Premium (Silver) | '79 Camaro Berlinetta (Carmine)
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote