Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2021, 10:53 AM   #1

Garage
Looking for advice on cell phone holder

I bought a few cell phone holders and neither didn't work very well.
One from Best Buy connected to the vents but the depth of the fins were too wide and the back of the clip wasn't long enough.
The other was a clip on a flexible extension rod but the clip and I clipped it between the two storage compartments under the radio but the clip wasn't strong enough to keep the phone stationary.
Looking for something small and not a suction cup on the windshield

Just looking for some photos and links to something that works well and will secure the phone I use for navigation.

Last edited by Jasper7821; 05-17-2021 at 10:55 AM.
Jasper7821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 10:57 AM   #2

Either the front or rear trunks work just fine...........................
Old 05-17-2021, 11:06 AM   #3

The little cubby under the radio or above the hvac?

Center storage tray?
Door pockets?
Pocket?
2002 996 (SOLD)
1986 944 (gone but missed)
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 11:10 AM   #4

I use a magnetic mount that suctions to my windshield. I ran it flush along the dash so it and the suction cup are out of my field of vision when I'm driving.

I used a CD mount wedged between the upper and lower portions of middle console but it wasn't very secured. I also mounted one directly to the lower center console trim by drilling a hole there but it didn't last for more than a few months before it broke.

The only other option would be to mount a stand on the passenger side base of the middle console and run with stand over toward the center. This is how oem phones were mounted. It's not in your direct field of vision though so that may make navigation difficult.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
Old 05-17-2021, 11:26 AM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stl-986 View Post
The little cubby under the radio or above the hvac?

Center storage tray?
Door pockets?
Pocket?
The cubbies I have are under the HVAC and radio, and I was hoping not to have to mount one to the door and get in the way.

Last edited by Jasper7821; 05-17-2021 at 11:31 AM.
Old 05-17-2021, 11:28 AM   #6

Garage
Thank You, I already have a backup camera monitor mounted almost exactly where that mount runs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike84 View Post
I use a magnetic mount that suctions to my windshield. I ran it flush along the dash so it and the suction cup are out of my field of vision when I'm driving.

I used a CD mount wedged between the upper and lower portions of middle console but it wasn't very secured. I also mounted one directly to the lower center console trim by drilling a hole there but it didn't last for more than a few months before it broke.

The only other option would be to mount a stand on the passenger side base of the middle console and run with stand over toward the center. This is how oem phones were mounted. It's not in your direct field of vision though so that may make navigation difficult.

Last edited by Jasper7821; 05-17-2021 at 11:30 AM.
Old 05-17-2021, 11:50 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper7821 View Post
The cubbies I have are under the HVAC and radio, and I was hoping not to have to mount one to the door and get in the way.

I love the black on black. Very clean ride

Old 05-17-2021, 12:24 PM   #8

The CD inserts work well as long as you don't have a console riser, shifter riser, or extended shift knob. Also, it assumes that you don't use your CD player.
Old 05-17-2021, 12:44 PM   #9

Garage
look into rennline Porsche 996/986 ExactFit Magnetic Phone Mount
2000 Boxster S, SPEC stage 1 clutch, Fabspeed sport headers, Fabspeed secondary cat deletes, Billy&Boat muffler, EVOM air intake, Ben006's Custom Short Shifter, Pedro's TechnoBrace, Eibach rear sway bar, De-snorkeled, Fred's custom projector HL
Dubaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 02:19 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:

Similar to mine but mine plugs into the 120v port in the dash. That's when I found out not all accessory ports are the same size. I have it working while I procrastinate buying the updated assembly with the correct port size.
Radman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 05:16 PM   #11

Bluetooth radios or adapters are available that let the phone stay in your pocket.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 06:17 AM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubaday View Post
look into rennline Porsche 996/986 ExactFit Magnetic Phone Mount
+1. I have these in my Boxster, 996, and E46 BMW. By far the best mount.
2001 Boxster 986 (base) #414
-PCA GGR: Class Champion AX12 '18, '19, '20; CC06 '21; CC05 '22; PAX 5th '19, 3rd '20, '21, & '22
-PCA Zone 7: Class Champion P14 '18, '19; P02 '20; P-03 '22; PAX Champion '20 & '21
BrantyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 06:31 AM   #13

I just wish they would make one with built in wireless charging.
Old 05-19-2021, 06:43 AM   #14

Garage
Quote:
don't mean to get off topic, but is that a holster to the right of your storage cubby?
2000 Boxster S, SPEC stage 1 clutch, Fabspeed sport headers, Fabspeed secondary cat deletes, Billy&Boat muffler, EVOM air intake, Ben006's Custom Short Shifter, Pedro's TechnoBrace, Eibach rear sway bar, De-snorkeled, Fred's custom projector HL
Old 05-19-2021, 08:55 AM   #15

Quote:
don't mean to get off topic, but is that a holster to the right of your storage cubby?
Hah! Yes it is. It's about the only convenient place for pistol storage in the car, except for where the owners manual lives lol.

Old 05-19-2021, 08:59 AM   #16

Garage
Quote:
Hah! Yes it is. It's about the only convenient place for pistol storage in the car, except for where the owners manual lives lol.
I was looking into a holster for the car too, can you please share what holster you're using and for what pistol? how'd you mount it? thanks bud!
Old 05-19-2021, 10:37 AM   #17

Quote:
Steering wheel going thru puberty or
Old 05-19-2021, 12:00 PM   #18

Quote:
I was looking into a holster for the car too, can you please share what holster you're using and for what pistol? how'd you mount it? thanks bud!
I don't know what it's called... I just know the sound it makes when it takes a man's life.

Sorry, I couldn't resist! Nick nolte is a crazy ****************er.

It's a blade tech IWB holster that came with the crimson trace red dot I have mounted on a Ruger ec9. Not my favorite gun to shoot but with the red dot it's a good defensive weapon for a vehicle.

I have it clipped to the carpet that comes up along the middle console. If you remove the front carpet trim and then the leather padded trim (by the knee) it will show you the lip of carpet there. Just clip it on and then reassemble the trim pieces. I think I adjusted the spacers on the holster/clip a bit to snug up the fit but it worked really well for the first year. Unfortunately though the plastic softened a bit and the pistol drapes away from the console a bit now (gravity's a ********************). Easier for me to grab that way but just a bit looser overall.

If I were to do it again I would try to find a holster where the attachment between it and the clip is reinforced with metal which should prevent the eventual sagging you get with even thick plastic. Otherwise it works great.

A note about car carrying - not all states allow it without a permit so check your state laws (I'm sure you already know this, I just don't want someone reading this getting the idea that everyone can do it) Also, remember that a car is a very hot and sometimes very humid place. I was surprised that the bluing on the ec9 started to show corrosion after about 6 months in the vehicle. Not anything awful but enough that this will be the only Ruger I ever buy. On the other hand, I have a Glock 17 in my truck that has been there for 4 years without a spot of corrosion whatsoever (cue the Glock fanboy haters in 3... 2... 1... ).

Old 05-19-2021, 12:03 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burg Boxster View Post
Steering wheel going thru puberty or
Hahaha! That genuinely made me laugh. Steering wheel controls for the radio. Put there as an "eh, what's the worst that can happen" and stayed just because. I barely notice them any more but the first time people see them they always have a reaction. I use them so infrequently now though that when I redo my radio and center console they will be either removed altogether or relocated.

Old 05-19-2021, 02:32 PM   #20

Garage
I have the Rennline magnetic mount in my car and I love it. My only gripe with it is that in 5th gear my shift knob blocks the lower quarter of my phone and that i need to stick a magnet on my phone case. I suppose this is different for different phones and where exactly you mount the mount. It looks super nice, OEM almost. I don't have any pictures of it right now but I will post some later tonight when I go to drive the car. https://www.rennline.com/Porsche-996_986-ExactFit-Magnetic-Phone-Mount/productinfo/PM01.08/ Their actually having a 15% off phone mount sale currently.

Last edited by Contr_eras; 05-19-2021 at 02:35 PM.
Contr_eras is offline   Reply With Quote